Rick60

The Best Haze of Our Lives

15 posts in this topic

Hi All ~

Intrigued by this new offering and its ingredients. In reading through the brewing instructions, steps 6, 7 and 8 were a bit confusing -- my apologies if I intepreted them wrong.

As it reads, one would remove the grain water from direct heat, then add "dark grain water" that was steeped earlier. Bringing the wort back to a low rolling boil, one then adds "the hop sack" and let it simmer for five minutes. Remove from boil.

Just to clarify (yup, I can be thick-headed):

1. Steep four ounces each of the flaked oats and 2-row at 160 degrees for 45 minutes.

2. Sparge.

3. Bring back to a low rolling boil.

4. Add the four ounces of Vienna malt in a hop sack and simmer at a low boil for five minutes.

5. Remove from heat.

6. Remove Vienna malt hop sack. No need to sparge. Add American Ale brewing extract and LME Golden. Continue onward.

Again, my apologies for any misunderstandings on this end.

The misunderstanding is not yours, the recipe has an incorrect line in it.

Here's what I wrote in another thread on this topic:

"I would bet $1000 that the "add the dark grain water..." line does not belong and is the result of not proofreading the recipe before posting.  Then I'd put up another $250 that the written instructions for ChromosBeer were used as a template for this recipe as the "dark grain water" line comes from it verbatim (step 8)."

Cato and Rick60 like this

Received my order of The Best Haze of our Lives today and looking forward to adding this one into my queue. Looking at the picture I hadn't realized that the Barbarian yeast is in liquid form and the pack is about the size of a brewmax LME!! @MRB Josh R I'm guessing this combo of 2 HME's and the Barbarian yeast is a good candidate for LBK overflow!

MRB Josh R likes this

4 minutes ago, Cato said:

Received my order of The Best Haze of our Lives today and looking forward to adding this one into my queue. Looking at the picture I hadn't realized that the Barbarian yeast is in liquid form and the pack is about the size of a brewmax LME!! @MRB Josh R I'm guessing this combo of 2 HME's and the Barbarian yeast is a good candidate for LBK overflow!

Anytime you have more than 1 can of extract or fruit in the batch, you need to ferment at the low end of the temp scale to minimize overflows. The amount of yeast or form it comes in is irrelevant. Overflows are due to large amounts of fermentable sugars, not the size of the yeast pitch.

Cato likes this

On 4/15/2018 at 8:44 AM, Rick60 said:

Hi All ~

Intrigued by this new offering and its ingredients. In reading through the brewing instructions, steps 6, 7 and 8 were a bit confusing -- my apologies if I intepreted them wrong.

As it reads, one would remove the grain water from direct heat, then add "dark grain water" that was steeped earlier. Bringing the wort back to a low rolling boil, one then adds "the hop sack" and let it simmer for five minutes. Remove from boil.

Just to clarify (yup, I can be thick-headed):

1. Steep four ounces each of the flaked oats and 2-row at 160 degrees for 45 minutes.

2. Sparge.

3. Bring back to a low rolling boil.

4. Add the four ounces of Vienna malt in a hop sack and simmer at a low boil for five minutes.

5. Remove from heat.

6. Remove Vienna malt hop sack. No need to sparge. Add American Ale brewing extract and LME Golden. Continue onward.

Again, my apologies for any misunderstandings on this end.

These issues in the instructions should be fixed now.

Shrike likes this

2 minutes ago, MRB Josh R said:

Anytime you have more than 1 can of extract or fruit in the batch, you need to ferment at the low end of the temp scale to minimize overflows. The amount of yeast or form it comes in is irrelevant. Overflows are due to large amounts of fermentable sugars, not the size of the yeast pitch.

I tend to ferment at the low end most of the time except for saison. Probably still a bit gun shy from my first two batches before I learned about temp control!!

MRB Josh R likes this

25 minutes ago, Cato said:

I tend to ferment at the low end most of the time except for saison. Probably still a bit gun shy from my first two batches before I learned about temp control!!

Yeah, my Belgian saisons usually brew in the upper 70s to mid 80s. But I like my French style saisons to be cleaner so I ferment them at 66 and remove the beer from the trub into a secondary after 5 days. This greatly reduces the esters. I really like my French saisons to be cleaner and very dry, while I like my Belgian saisons to be more estery and funky. I'm a huge fan of saisons. It's my favorite style to brew and drink. BTW, I just won 3rd place in the AZ Spring Classic Homebrew Competition for my Lemon Pepper Saison. I'm pretty proud of that beer and the little yeasties that made it. :)

Jdub, Shrike, Cato and 2 others like this

7 minutes ago, MRB Josh R said:

Yeah, my Belgian saisons usually brew in the upper 70s to mid 80s. But I like my French style saisons to be cleaner so I ferment them at 66 and remove the beer from the trub into a secondary after 5 days. This greatly reduces the esters. I really like my French saisons to be cleaner and very dry, while I like my Belgian saisons to be more estery and funky. I'm a huge fan of saisons. It's my favorite style to brew and drink. BTW, I just won 3rd place in the AZ Spring Classic Homebrew Competition for my Lemon Pepper Saison. I'm pretty proud of that beer and the little yeasties that made it. :)

Wow, Congrats on that!! I'm just learning about saisons and have my first one still conditioning for another week before I can sample one.

MRB Josh R likes this

Also the instructions says to ferment between 65°-76° but the Imperial yeast says to keep between 62°-70°. The instructions for American Resolution state 62°-70° so I'm assuming both recipes are supposed to be the same.

On 4/21/2018 at 0:41 AM, youdontknowme311 said:

Also the instructions says to ferment between 65°-76° but the Imperial yeast says to keep between 62°-70°. The instructions for American Resolution state 62°-70° so I'm assuming both recipes are supposed to be the same.

I fermented the American Resolution at 64-65 and it was fine.

youdontknowme311 likes this

2 hours ago, Shrike said:

I fermented the American Resolution at 64-65 and it was fine.

I'm on day 9 of American Resolution and it's been steady between 63-65. I was just stating that the recipes uses the same yeast but instructions are different so I wanted to clarify a possible mistake in the instructions.

Shrike likes this

Really wanting a juicy NEIPA.  Thinking of adding some pineapple to the Haze of our Lives recipe.  Anyone have thoughts on this?

38 minutes ago, robo1 said:

Really wanting a juicy NEIPA.  Thinking of adding some pineapple to the Haze of our Lives recipe.  Anyone have thoughts on this?

Have you made it "as is" yet?

29 minutes ago, Shrike said:

Have you made it "as is" yet?

I have not.  I've had a few recipes in front of it.  I'm ordering the supplies today.

3 hours ago, robo1 said:

I have not.  I've had a few recipes in front of it.  I'm ordering the supplies today.

I recommend making it as per the recipe the first time.  I've not made this one, but the American Resolution was nice and "juicy".

youdontknowme311 likes this