Rick60

The Best Haze of Our Lives

8 posts in this topic

Hi All ~

 

Intrigued by this new offering and its ingredients. In reading through the brewing instructions, steps 6, 7 and 8 were a bit confusing -- my apologies if I intepreted them wrong.

 

As it reads, one would remove the grain water from direct heat, then add "dark grain water" that was steeped earlier. Bringing the wort back to a low rolling boil, one then adds "the hop sack" and let it simmer for five minutes. Remove from boil.

 

Just to clarify (yup, I can be thick-headed):

 

1. Steep four ounces each of the flaked oats and 2-row at 160 degrees for 45 minutes.

2. Sparge.

3. Bring back to a low rolling boil.

4. Add the four ounces of Vienna malt in a hop sack and simmer at a low boil for five minutes.

5. Remove from heat.

6. Remove Vienna malt hop sack. No need to sparge. Add American Ale brewing extract and LME Golden. Continue onward.

 

Again, my apologies for any misunderstandings on this end.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The misunderstanding is not yours, the recipe has an incorrect line in it.

 

Here's what I wrote in another thread on this topic:

"I would bet $1000 that the "add the dark grain water..." line does not belong and is the result of not proofreading the recipe before posting.  Then I'd put up another $250 that the written instructions for ChromosBeer were used as a template for this recipe as the "dark grain water" line comes from it verbatim (step 8)."

Rick60 and Cato like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Received my order of The Best Haze of our Lives today and looking forward to adding this one into my queue. Looking at the picture I hadn't realized that the Barbarian yeast is in liquid form and the pack is about the size of a brewmax LME!! @MRB Josh R I'm guessing this combo of 2 HME's and the Barbarian yeast is a good candidate for LBK overflow!

MRB Josh R likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Cato said:

Received my order of The Best Haze of our Lives today and looking forward to adding this one into my queue. Looking at the picture I hadn't realized that the Barbarian yeast is in liquid form and the pack is about the size of a brewmax LME!! @MRB Josh R I'm guessing this combo of 2 HME's and the Barbarian yeast is a good candidate for LBK overflow!

 

Anytime you have more than 1 can of extract or fruit in the batch, you need to ferment at the low end of the temp scale to minimize overflows. The amount of yeast or form it comes in is irrelevant. Overflows are due to large amounts of fermentable sugars, not the size of the yeast pitch.

Cato likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/15/2018 at 8:44 AM, Rick60 said:

Hi All ~

 

Intrigued by this new offering and its ingredients. In reading through the brewing instructions, steps 6, 7 and 8 were a bit confusing -- my apologies if I intepreted them wrong.

 

As it reads, one would remove the grain water from direct heat, then add "dark grain water" that was steeped earlier. Bringing the wort back to a low rolling boil, one then adds "the hop sack" and let it simmer for five minutes. Remove from boil.

 

Just to clarify (yup, I can be thick-headed):

 

1. Steep four ounces each of the flaked oats and 2-row at 160 degrees for 45 minutes.

2. Sparge.

3. Bring back to a low rolling boil.

4. Add the four ounces of Vienna malt in a hop sack and simmer at a low boil for five minutes.

5. Remove from heat.

6. Remove Vienna malt hop sack. No need to sparge. Add American Ale brewing extract and LME Golden. Continue onward.

 

Again, my apologies for any misunderstandings on this end.

 

These issues in the instructions should be fixed now.

Shrike likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MRB Josh R said:

 

Anytime you have more than 1 can of extract or fruit in the batch, you need to ferment at the low end of the temp scale to minimize overflows. The amount of yeast or form it comes in is irrelevant. Overflows are due to large amounts of fermentable sugars, not the size of the yeast pitch.

I tend to ferment at the low end most of the time except for saison. Probably still a bit gun shy from my first two batches before I learned about temp control!!

MRB Josh R likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Cato said:

I tend to ferment at the low end most of the time except for saison. Probably still a bit gun shy from my first two batches before I learned about temp control!!

 

Yeah, my Belgian saisons usually brew in the upper 70s to mid 80s. But I like my French style saisons to be cleaner so I ferment them at 66 and remove the beer from the trub into a secondary after 5 days. This greatly reduces the esters. I really like my French saisons to be cleaner and very dry, while I like my Belgian saisons to be more estery and funky. I'm a huge fan of saisons. It's my favorite style to brew and drink. BTW, I just won 3rd place in the AZ Spring Classic Homebrew Competition for my Lemon Pepper Saison. I'm pretty proud of that beer and the little yeasties that made it. :)

Shrike, Cato, Jdub and 1 other like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, MRB Josh R said:

 

Yeah, my Belgian saisons usually brew in the upper 70s to mid 80s. But I like my French style saisons to be cleaner so I ferment them at 66 and remove the beer from the trub into a secondary after 5 days. This greatly reduces the esters. I really like my French saisons to be cleaner and very dry, while I like my Belgian saisons to be more estery and funky. I'm a huge fan of saisons. It's my favorite style to brew and drink. BTW, I just won 3rd place in the AZ Spring Classic Homebrew Competition for my Lemon Pepper Saison. I'm pretty proud of that beer and the little yeasties that made it. :)

Wow, Congrats on that!! I'm just learning about saisons and have my first one still conditioning for another week before I can sample one.

MRB Josh R likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now