Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
76shovel

long term storage?

Gents,

What's the longest you've kept beer at cellar temps (appox 65F)?  I've been focused on brewing some longer conditioning batches but suppose it goes beyond 6-12 months and  they sit more like 2-3 years without refrigeration?  I use the 740ml plastic bottles and no, none of mine are nearly that old, just askin.

I just opened a porter (my own recipe from DME) last night that I bottled in 2015. My beer has always been stored in an upstairs closet that ranges from the 80's during the summer to the 40's during the winter. The beer aged beautifully! If you're storing in an area that's mid 60's consistently you'll be fine for 3+ years (if you can maintain your patience). 

It really depends on the beer style that you are storing.  A beer with a lower ABV will tend to show signs of age quicker than one that is higher.

I drank one of my American Milds (3.5%abv) this weekend that was bottled last June, it is showing it's age but still very drinkable.  However, a couple of weeks ago I drank one of my Belgian Tripels that is 18 months old.  I wish I had left the whole batch sit that long not just 3 bottles.  That beer is now amazing, every bit as good a Golden Monkey from Victory brewing. 

65 degrees will be good as long as you have good sanitization practices your beer will be fine.

On 4/15/2018 at 8:18 PM, 76shovel said:

Gents,

What's the longest you've kept beer at cellar temps (appox 65F)?  I've been focused on brewing some longer conditioning batches but suppose it goes beyond 6-12 months and  they sit more like 2-3 years without refrigeration?  I use the 740ml plastic bottles and no, none of mine are nearly that old, just askin.

I wish I had a cellar to be able to give you an answer on. #DeepSouthProbs