Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Yuma Blood

My first mistake

Hi all. I was getting ready to brew my first 2 batches today. Was watching some videos online about it. One video it said not to use distilled water. I have 5 gallons of it. I learned not to use it. There was nothing in the instructions saying not to use it. So am glad i found out.

So now i have to wait until i get bottled spring water or drinking water. I figured since i bought bottled water it was better than tap. Lesson learned.

A lot of brewers use distilled water to brew with. The problem is that distilled water doesn't have any of the minerals that are needed for brewing. If you do, you will need to know about water chemistry and the style of beer that you are brewing so that you can add the correct minerals in the correct amounts. You want to use tap water or bottled spring water with Mr. Beer to keep the process simple while you're learning the fine art of brewing. If you're interested in learning more about brewing and water chemistry you might want to check out John Palmer. He wrote the book: How to Brew (an older edition can be found online) which has a section on water. He also wrote the book - Water: A Comprehensive guide for Brewers. 

9 hours ago, Yuma Blood said:

Hi all. I was getting ready to brew my first 2 batches today. Was watching some videos online about it. One video it said not to use distilled water. I have 5 gallons of it. I learned not to use it. There was nothing in the instructions saying not to use it. So am glad i found out.

So now i have to wait until i get bottled spring water or drinking water. I figured since i bought bottled water it was better than tap. Lesson learned.

The HME has the minerals and nutrients necessary for your MrBeer kits. If you were doing a partial mash or all grain, then you'd need to worry about the water and adding nutrients for the yeast. In the beginning, you're good to go.

8 hours ago, RickBeer said:

If you drink your tap water then you can use it.  Strong chlorine taste should be avoided, let water sit for 24 hours and chlorine smell will dissipate.

Hi. I do not drink my tap water at all. So will get bottled spring water. Thanks.

On 4/16/2018 at 2:56 AM, RickBeer said:

If you drink your tap water then you can use it.  Strong chlorine taste should be avoided, let water sit for 24 hours and chlorine smell will dissipate.

At my local store the only bottled water they have is distilled, purified. And drinking water. Planned on getting spring water. I bought the one saying drinking water. Will that be ok?

I experimented using spring water and tap water for the same recipe. No difference. As for distilled water - probably no significant difference either.  The water used in making the extract will most likely have the correct mineral content, pH and so on to support good yeast growth. Unless your tap water tastes bad (sulfur, chlorine, petrochemicals) it is fine to use.