Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Gutterbunnie

hydrometer readings for Voodoo batch

Bottled Voodoo that You Do yesterday. Sampled, very tasty, and very strong! Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of  bold, high ABV beers. I'm used to drinking microbrews, double IPAs, Lagunitas. So I didn't have my hydrometer when I brewed Voodoo, but I tried to take a reading from a sample after cold crashing & before bottling yesterday (let sample sit & warm to room temperature). Also, I read directions on mrB  & various other websites, watched some YouTubes on how to use a hydrometer. Assuming that FG should  be around 1.015 -1.018. My Voodoo reading was 1.010, or around there. Thinking maybe my hydrometer is not calibrated correctly, I tested spring water, which came out at 0.995 instead of 1.00. Am I correct in understanding that I would subtract .005 from my final reading of 1.010 which would give me an FG of 1.005? And if I go by the avg OG of 1.070 or 1.060, and subtract my FG 1.005, then multiply that by 131, on the high end I get 8.5% ABV, on the low end about 7.4% ABV (like the recipe says). but maybe I'm not using this hydrometer correctly, or my readings are inaccurate?

Well anyway, I'm stoked because I think this is the first batch that perhaps I got right.....and then some. I followed recipe, adding  LME and a cup of packed brown sugar., MrB yeast. Plus I used my spatula & always, always scrape out every bit of HME from the can, and I tried to do that with LME pouch but didn't work so well. Also I used a cooler to control fermentation temps. I can't wait to try a finished Voodoo in about 5-6 weeks, if I can wait that long. I know longer is better, at least 8 weeks conditioning. We'll see if my patience holds up!

Your reading is probably correct at 0.995 for the spring water. Distilled water should be at 1.000, so if you get a reading of 0.995, you should add 0.005 to your reading. That's because your hydrometer is reading 0.995 on something that is at 1.000. That being said, 0.005 is negligible in the grand scheme of things!

RDWDAHB!