Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
irlb

Cold fermenting

I do not not have anywhere in my house where I can ferment my beer much below 68 degrees. I have one of those wine fridges that I can adjust from 54-66 degrees. Any problem with putting my fermenting keg in it.

Doesn't matter where you put it as long as:

- it can be set to the temp you want (usually 65).  Keep in mind that AIR temp is not what you want to measure, it's WORT temp, which is detected by a probe taped below the liquid line.  A 65 degree air temp possibly will allow the wort temperature to climb into the low 70s at peak fermentation.  

- it doesn't wildly fluctuate.

17 hours ago, irlb said:

I do not not have anywhere in my house where I can ferment my beer much below 68 degrees. I have one of those wine fridges that I can adjust from 54-66 degrees. Any problem with putting my fermenting keg in it.

A camping cooler with a frozen pint of water works great, but since you have a wine fridge, you could tape a sponge or folded cloth to the flat backside of your LBK and put a temp probe between them below the wort line.

That way you'll get a closer reading of wort temp and not ambient. Then adjust your fridge cooling if you can to keep the wort in the 65 degree range. 

For 35-40 bucks you could get an inkbird temp controller for that wine fridge and be good to go.