Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NwMaltHead

Non Mr Beer recipes

9 posts in this topic

Ive seen a few recipes in here that dont neccesarily use mr beer products. Wanted a spot to give one another feedback and ideas for recipes and styles. 

I'm working on a simple BIAB APA right now. 

3 gal

4 lb 2 row

2.75 lb Dark Bohemian (similar to munich) 

.2 oz cryo mosaic, aa 24% @ 35

.5 oz so. dawn pellet, aa 13% @ 25

.3 oz citra hops, alpha 12%@ 15

.5 oz citra dry hop on day 4

Irish Yeast @68f for 9 days 

OG 1.057

FG 1.014

ABV 5.6%

IBU 62

SRM 6.2

Thoughts?

Bonsai & Brew and John K. like this

Turned it into a 3.5 gal

OG 1.048

FG 1.013 (target) 

ABV 4.7

IBU 52

SRM 5.5

Day 2 in fermentor and smells great. Only 9 short days from bottling my first all grain recipe! 

John K., Jdub and kedogn like this

I don't know where you are figuring the timing, but 9 days is not enough time for the yeast to clean up.

On 4/23/2018 at 3:29 AM, RickBeer said:

I don't know where you are figuring the timing, but 9 days is not enough time for the yeast to clean up.

Advice given to me by a head brewer. Says all grain doesn't require as much time as an all extract Brew. Not as many off flavors to clear up. Says most of his light beers ferment for 9-14 days. 

kedogn likes this

You might want to do your own research, vs. relying on one person's opinion.  That statement - all grain doesn't require as much time as all extract - is poppycock IMHO.  While many professional brewers don't go 21 days, they also do many things that you may not do such as filtering the beer.

25 minutes ago, RickBeer said:

You might want to do your own research, vs. relying on one person's opinion.  That statement - all grain doesn't require as much time as all extract - is poppycock IMHO.  While many professional brewers don't go 21 days, they also do many things that you may not do such as filtering the beer.

For us at Manfish, it varies depending on what we are brewing and what the ABV is.   Let's say our Amber Ale.  I can brew it, the yeast can do their thing and in about 3-4 days I am moving it to the cooler to cold crash for 3 days, then I am kegging a crystal clear, beautiful amber ale.  With a higher octane beer, like say our 3xIPA which comes in at 12%, that takes a while longer.  Standard IPAs we can brew, ferment and DH and move to the cooler in about 10 days.

P.S... we filter nothing.  We cold crash.  Depending on what it is, I might use gelatin... if I am trying to rush it along.

NwMaltHead likes this

1 hour ago, kedogn said:

For us at Manfish, it varies depending on what we are brewing and what the ABV is.   Let's say our Amber Ale.  I can brew it, the yeast can do their thing and in about 3-4 days I am moving it to the cooler to cold crash for 3 days, then I am kegging a crystal clear, beautiful amber ale.  With a higher octane beer, like say our 3xIPA which comes in at 12%, that takes a while longer.  Standard IPAs we can brew, ferment and DH and move to the cooler in about 10 days.

P.S... we filter nothing.  We cold crash.  Depending on what it is, I might use gelatin... if I am trying to rush it along.

That's the general time reference i was given as well. Figured I'd give it a shot. 

11 minutes ago, NwMaltHead said:

That's the general time reference i was given as well. Figured I'd give it a shot. 

If your yeast are fresh and active when you pitch, you should have no issues.  We actually just pitch our yeast dry and it typically takes less than 12 hours to see them going crazy (probably a lot less, but rarely am I back in the brewery within 12 hours of pitching) !   Just make sure, like I said, you yeast are fresh and active and that your temps are spot on and you will be golden :) 

NwMaltHead likes this