Mr.Beer Community

I think you're a bit confused, or asking it wrong.  

First, what's the difference between LME and DME.  Liquid Malt Extract has water in it.  Dry Malt Extract has no water in it.  They serve the same purpose, but they are not equivalent.  Why?  Because of the water...

1 pound of LME = 0.8 pounds of DME

1 pound of DME = 1.25 pounds of LME

Now that you've established that, you need to figure out what you're trying to do with it.  LME and DME have two purposes.

1) Raise ABV -  By adding the correct amount of either LME or DME, you can raise the ABV by a certain amount.  I recommend utilizing a program like QBrew to figure out the impact.  In a standard Mr. Beer 2.13 gallon batch, a 0.55 pound package of LME raises ABV by about 1%.  If you added that same amount to 2.5 gallons, you'd raise the ABV less.  If you added it to a 1.5 gallon batch, you'd raise the ABV more.  If you use more than 0.55 pounds, you have more of an impact obviously.  I would never add more than a pound of LME (0.8 pounds of DME) to any Mr. Beer recipe as it dramatically changes things (unless the recipe called for that much).  

2) Appearance and flavor - There are many kinds of LME / DME.  Mr. Beer sells 4 kinds of LME - Pale, Smooth, Robust and Golden.  Golden is their wheat LME.  Each LME tells you what flavors it may add.  https://www.mrbeer.com/ingredients/unhopped-malt-extracts 

A good guide is to see what the Mr. Beer LMEs add is to see which ones come in each Deluxe kit.  Mr. Beer has figured out what goes together best, and its a great cheat sheet.  https://www.mrbeer.com/refills/deluxe-refills 

LME is best added to warm water, remove the pot from the flame, pour in the LME while stirring constantly.  When it's well blended, put the pot back AND KEEP STIRRING.

DME can be added to cold water and slowly stirred in, a little at a time, or added to warm water like LME.  The trick is to not let the humidity from the pot get into the bag, clumping things up.  Some people measure it out ahead of time into a glass bowl and add it.

Both are very, very sticky and a PITA to work with.  

RickBeer: Thanks

MRB Josh:

Aren't you the movie star I've seen live online ?

Used LME with deluxe Oktoberfest, and Irish Stout.

Current thoughts are to use standard refills with DME

instead of booster packs, your thoughts ?

8 minutes ago, Fire Rooster said:

MRB Josh:

Current thoughts are to use standard refills, and use DME

Yeah, that's me. B)

I always prefer DME/LME over the Booster for most beers, personally. The Booster is best for adding ABV without adding any extra flavor (great for lagers, pale ales, IPAs, etc). The DME/LME will add alcohol, body, flavor, and color.

I am thinking of doing this. Get a can of Coopers HME. Any flavor. Add 3 pounds of DME to it. One can makes 5 or 6 gallons. Make it into a 4 gallon batch and split in into 2 LBK's. Will that work?

15 minutes ago, DEFbrewer said:

Let's say that the can of Coopers HME you are adding is 3.3 lbs, plus 3 pounds DME should bring you to an ABV of somewhere around 6%, for 4 Gallons.

Can i put 2.5 gallons in a LBK? Thanks.

16 minutes ago, Yuma Blood said:

Can i put 2.5 gallons in a LBK? Thanks.

I know I can easily do 2.25 gallons in an LBK to get 12 full 740ml bottles.   Have not had an issue doing that yet.  However I use a slightly bigger fermenter with a Krausen ring for something using two HMEs like Lock Stock and Barrel.  The peak krausen would be pumping out of the vents  of an LBK.

1 hour ago, 76shovel said:

I know I can easily do 2.25 gallons in an LBK to get 12 full 740ml bottles.   Have not had an issue doing that yet.  However I use a slightly bigger fermenter with a Krausen ring for something using two HMEs like Lock Stock and Barrel.  The peak krausen would be pumping out of the vents  of an LBK.

I do have a big mouth bubbler and fermenting buckets. I can just try it in those and do the 5 gallons. 

13 hours ago, Fire Rooster said:

MRB Josh:

Current thoughts are to use standard refills with DME

This is exactly what the Deluxe refills are (with LME).

11 hours ago, KaijuBrew said:

Can you add DME to any MR Beer recipe?

"Recipe"? 

Some of the recipes have plenty of malt in them, often already adding LME, DME, or booster.  

All of the regular refills can take a pound of LME (0.8 pounds of DME) just fine.  I would not add any to the Craft Series.

I would also point out a rule that I suggest - which is to not add anything to any recipe or refill before you make it.  When you make changes to any recipe (including cooking), you want to know WHY you are making the change, WHAT you expect the change to affect, and then IF it had the impact you expected.  In order to know that, you need to know what it tastes like BEFORE you make the change.  So make it as is, then make it with 1 change, then compare.  Don't change 3 things, then you have no idea what did what.

The sole exception I would say would be to add 0.55 pounds of LME (or the equivalent amount of DME) to any base refill, i.e. making what is in effect the Deluxe refill.

I haven't used DME in a several months since I've been on this partial mash kick, but I have used it plenty. My LHBS sells it in 1lb packages, and it makes a MB standard refill jump to around 5.2% abv. And like everyone says, it adds body and flavor. Might want to add some hops to balance it though, although it's not "too sweet" for me if I don't add any.

8 hours ago, RickBeer said:

"Recipe"? 

All of the regular refills can take a pound of LME (0.8 pounds of DME) just fine.  I would not add any to the Craft Series.

I routinely add 1/2 lb dme to the craft series. Makes 'em even better.