KaijuBrew

Tangerously Hoppy IPA at 68 degrees. Too hot?

26 posts in this topic

My Tangerously hoppy IPA is on Day 5 of its fermenting.  Temps in the fermenter are between 64 - 68 with the Safale US-05 Yeast.  is this too hot?

I am in a vertical fermenter so I cannot easily termperature control as I do my LBKs by putting them in a mini fridge hooked to a ladybird temp controller.

I don't think it is. Most of mine are around that temp and I dont get off flavors. You want to avoid the 70s though. The one batch I ever made that was super cidery was done in the mid-70s. Maybe even upper 70s.

9 hours ago, KaijuBrew said:

My Tangerously hoppy IPA is on Day 5 of its fermenting.  Temps in the fermenter are between 64 - 68 with the Safale US-05 Yeast.  is this too hot?

I am in a vertical fermenter so I cannot easily termperature control as I do my LBKs by putting them in a mini fridge hooked to a ladybird temp controller.

I am fermenting TH IPA as well. On day 7 here. Have lbk in cooler in garage. Been 60-65 the whole time with help of water bottles. Gonna go get some fresh tangerines tomorrow and do the 2nd zest, hops and juice addition. Ya I hear you on the fermenter. Maybe some kind of insulated wrap? I think 64-68 is fine but what I know about brewing could fit on a hop pellet. 

KaijuBrew likes this

Okay - I put the fermenter in a keg jacket with an artificial ice cool pack and the temp is now down to 60-62.  This is in a basement with ambient temps of 66 or so.  I am also adding the tangerine juice and zest tomorrow!

In my mini fridge I am on day 9 of a Gila monster IPA and Day 6 of a Salty Dog Gose (brewed the same day as the tangerine IPA).

I honestly think I enjoy making the beer more than drinking it sometimes!

IMG_2692.jpg

IMG_2700.jpg

IMG_2652.jpg

Hey that ice pack wrap thing looks good! I did the 1week additions today. I had soaked the 1/2 zest in a small container with vodka. Added the hops and tangerine juice and zest today. I put the zest and hops in the same muslin sack so I don’t have floaties everywhere. I am spot on <65 deg at all times in my cooler. Can’t wait to try it. 

Jdub 

Can I dry hop the second hop addition directly into the wort or is the muslin bag the way to go?

On 4/21/2018 at 0:27 AM, Jdub said:

I am fermenting TH IPA as well. On day 7 here. Have lbk in cooler in garage. Been 60-65 the whole time with help of water bottles. Gonna go get some fresh tangerines tomorrow and do the 2nd zest, hops and juice addition. Ya I hear you on the fermenter. Maybe some kind of insulated wrap? I think 64-68 is fine but what I know about brewing could fit on a hop pellet. 

@JdubHow did your additions in the TH IPA go?  My zest has gotten loose and left the containment of the muslin sack and is floating on top.   I am seeing some white foam at the top which I am hoping are safale us-05 yeast rafts!

7 minutes ago, KaijuBrew said:

@JdubHow did your additions in the TH IPA go?  My zest has gotten loose and left the containment of the muslin sack and is floating on top.   I am seeing some white foam at the top which I am hoping are safale us-05 yeast rafts!

It went good. I put the zest and hops into the same sanitized muslin sack and dropped it in with the juice. Haven’t peeked at it. I only shine a flashlight into the lbk about once per week. Did you zest really fine? Mine was fairly coarse bc of the grater I used. I don’t think it could get out of the sack. We’ll see when it comes to bottling. 

Hmmmm I don’t know. Did you put the 1st round of zest in a hop sack? Is that maybe pulp from the juice? I would just roll with it for 21 days and then cold crash it. It’s probably just science man...On a side note....those hop sacks sure do soak up a lot of beer. I just bottled up a batch of voodoo (no hop sacks) and I got a whole extra 12 oz bottle than usual. 

KaijuBrew likes this

Thanks @Jdub.  This is definitely the zest from the juice, zest and pulp I added today.  There was no muslin sack for this.  The two muslin sacks are hops from the day 1 and and then the dry hop addition from today.  I put the dry hop addition in a muslin sack that had been placed in boiling water to sanitize.

I just see that white foam stuff at the top and I hope that is yeast rafts or bubbles and not the start of a mold.

This is 6 hours after adding the juice, zest and some pulp not in a muslin sack.

Gotcha. I’m sure it will turn out just fine. We’ll have a virtual brew together when they’re both done. 

KaijuBrew likes this

On 4/22/2018 at 8:09 PM, Jdub said:

Gotcha. I’m sure it will turn out just fine. We’ll have a virtual brew together when they’re both done. 

Definitely we should do a virtual brew!  I am figuring it should to be ready to try mid June or so!

Jdub likes this

On 4/23/2018 at 5:53 AM, KaijuBrew said:

Definitely we should do a virtual brew!  I am figuring it should to be ready to try mid June or so!

@KaijuBrew are you gonna cold crash your TH IPA? I’m scheduled to cc this Sunday. I could also be convinced not to. Bc of the potential floaties from the zest and hops I’m inclined to. 

On 5/1/2018 at 9:55 PM, Jdub said:

@KaijuBrew are you gonna cold crash your TH IPA? I’m scheduled to cc this Sunday. I could also be convinced not to. Bc of the potential floaties from the zest and hops I’m inclined to. 

@JdubI would like to cold crash my Tangerine IPA but . . . .

It is in the 2G tall fermenter, not my LBK.  I have a minfridge I can cold crash LBKs in but it is not large enough for the 2G tall fermenter.

I could:

- transfer from the 2G to a sanitized LBK using a bottling wand to reduce aeration and then cold crash; OR

- use ice packs and artificial ice in a keg cooler jacket to try to cold crash the brew in the tall 2G fermenter.  But I don't think I will be able to get temp down low enough; OR

- not cold crash.

I welcome thoughts on this and I think I will post elsewhere here and see what advice I get.

1 hour ago, SilverBrewerWI said:

well, he COULD tape ice to it, and just stay awake constantly taping more on, maybe it would work..................the mental image is priceless either way

Or drive to the top of a snowy mountain top and wait 3 days.....or just bottle it. I like the ice and tape method personally. 🤜🏻

I can’t wait to cold crash on Sunday bc it frees up a cooler to put my negra modelo clone in I’m gonna brew up. Will be challenging keeping it at low lager temps but I’m ready!

Bottled my tang hoppy ipa tonight. Could def taste the tangerines. Wasn’t sweet at all. Yeast did it’s job. Used 12 oz glass. Did about 7 bottles with 3/4 tsp sugar and the rest 1/2. Marked them to see the difference. 21 bottles total. 3 hop sacks def soak up some beer. 

KaijuBrew and MRB Tim like this

Tastes great - almost like all it needs is carbonation!  I predict a great beer!

Bottling was a little tough because fruit bits kept getting stuck in wand. Otherwise all good!

MRB Tim and Jdub like this

That Tangerously Hoppy is in my queue for tomorrow! Thinking I might zest  the tangerines a day or so before and cover them in vodka and then pour it all into a sanitized hop sack and add the juice and zest and hops after the first week of fermenting.

Jdub and KaijuBrew like this

6 hours ago, Cato said:

That Tangerously Hoppy is in my queue for tomorrow! Thinking I might zest  the tangerines a day or so before and cover them in vodka and then pour it all into a sanitized hop sack and add the juice and zest and hops after the first week of fermenting.

Ya the 1st round of zest and hops I put in the same hop sack. You’re also boiling it while mixing the wort. The 2nd round I covered in vodka and poured it and the hops into another sack together. Didn’t want floaties. Sample tasted good. Looking forward to the finished product. Good luck with yours!

KaijuBrew likes this