Yuma Blood

My LBK leaking

19 posts in this topic

I was finally able to brew today but found out my LBK leaks at the spigot. I ordered 2 black Beer'd porter kits so have 2 LBK's. Both have the same problem.

To me it looks like the seam where the two halves join is not flush. One half sticks out farther than the other. Thus. The washer is unable to seal. Any advice? Thank you.

22 minutes ago, epete28 said:

So you already have the batch in it and it's leaking?

No. I filled it with water first to test for leaks.

1 minute ago, Yuma Blood said:

No. I filled it with water first to test for leaks.

Oh, okay. Well, I know others who have had the issue have used a fine grit sandpaper to smooth it out. Have you tightened the spigot significantly? Also, you do have the gasket on the outside right?

23 minutes ago, epete28 said:

Oh, okay. Well, I know others who have had the issue have used a fine grit sandpaper to smooth it out. Have you tightened the spigot significantly? Also, you do have the gasket on the outside right?

Yes, gasket on outside. Only nut inside. I took the spigot assembly apart 4 times and tightened to the best of my ability. 

9 minutes ago, Brian N. said:

Lots of old threads on this. Perhaps RickBeer can provide the links (Thanks in advance to Rick)

Sorry for not doing a search first. I was frustrated that i was unable to brew today so wanted to get some advice.

Make sure gasket round side is facing in, flat side out.

Do not overtighten.  Snug, then quarter turn.  If it still leaks, either have to file/sand or get Customer Service to replace.

epete28 and Yuma Blood like this

I have 3 lbk’s. I had that problem with 2 of them. I used fine sandpaper and evenly went around the opening in the outside. Solved the problem. When putting the spigot on I have the downspout of the spigot (where the beer comes out) facing 3 o’clock. I tighten as much as I can from the inside and then from the outside turn the spigot clockwise till it’s upright. Works for me. 

Yuma Blood likes this

1 hour ago, RickBeer said:

Make sure gasket round side is facing in, flat side out.

Do not overtighten.  Snug, then quarter turn.  If it still leaks, either have to file/sand or get Customer Service to replace.

Thanks. Gasket is facing in. 

32 minutes ago, Jdub said:

I have 3 lbk’s. I had that problem with 2 of them. I used fine sandpaper and evenly went around the opening in the outside. Solved the problem. When putting the spigot on I have the downspout of the spigot (where the beer comes out) facing 3 o’clock. I tighten as much as I can from the inside and then from the outside turn the spigot clockwise till it’s upright. Works for me. 

Thank you. I will try that.

Jdub likes this

One reason that I always leave the spigot in place and don't remove it is the fear of a leaking gasket. I just clean and sanitize the LBK before and after brewing. Probably some will disagree, but no infections (yet).

John K., Yuma Blood and Shrike like this

8 minutes ago, Brian N. said:

One reason that I always leave the spigot in place and don't remove it is the fear of a leaking gasket. I just clean and sanitize the LBK before and after brewing. Probably some will disagree, but no infections (yet).

That's probably what i will do too. 

Yes, I do what Jdub described and it works well. I too had to lightly sand the opening on one of my LBKs.

Don't be afraid to take it apart and clean and sanitize it.

Trub will get in those threads or between the nut and the threads. 

Don't take that chance, not worth it. At $10 a piece, buy a spare or two, and have a back up while you clean and dissemble the other.

Jdub and RickBeer like this

4 minutes ago, Cato said:

Yes, I do what Jdub described and it works well. I too had to lightly sand the opening on one of my LBKs.

Don't take that chance, not worth it. At $10 a piece, buy a spare or two, and have a back up while you clean and dissemble the other.

That sounds good too. I will see how it goes after i sand them both down and do what jdub said. Better to clean and sanitize everything. Customer service said they would replace them.

Jdub likes this

What I do constantly is the nut on the inside has one side completely flat, other side has a very slightly raised area.  If the flat side is not against the keg, it leaks until I turn the bugger around.  Something to consider

Jdub, Yuma Blood and Cato like this

2 hours ago, Cato said:

Ya I take the spigot apart after every bottling/cleaning. I assume @Cato is talking about spare spigots? By golly if I had spare lbks laying around I would have beer in them stashed around my house considering how many recipes are in my brew queue.  My wife said that 3 lbks is enough (for now). What she doesn’t know won’t hurt her.....lol 

8 hours ago, Jdub said:

Ya I take the spigot apart after every bottling/cleaning. I assume @Cato is talking about spare spigots? By golly if I had spare lbks laying around I would have beer in them stashed around my house considering how many recipes are in my brew queue.  My wife said that 3 lbks is enough (for now). What she doesn’t know won’t hurt her.....lol 

Lol, no I was talking about getting a spare LBK. I have 3 and just use 2 in my mini fridge and that is plenty of production for me, but I like to have a backup.

Jdub and Yuma Blood like this

Update. I got some sand paper and went around both holes in the 2 LBK's. I also did what jdub suggested with the spigot. Tested with water and did not have any leaking.

Brewed both of the porter batches yesterday. One keg was leaking a little. But i retightened again. Thank you all for your help.

hotrod3539, Cato and Shrike like this