Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
doc280

Metallic Grass like taste, need help

1 hour ago, RickBeer said:

Boiled the string too?

Yes, it is a draw string, part of the bag. I also sanitized the plate, which I placed the bags on, my hands and wiped the lid area, of the LBK, with Star San.

Top of the eighth and with how the game is going, a good time for a Private Rye three week report. Three weeks after being bottled, I have to say things have not got better. The off flavors, I get, are more prevalent and the good favors have diminished. The brew still remains drinkable however I am not enjoying it as much as week two. I would say it is a little dryer then week two also.

IMG_20180526_153957.jpg

10 minutes ago, RickBeer said:

CO2 absorbs into cold beer, is released as beer warms.  3 days pulls it in good.

Yes, the three bottles were in the refrigerator for three days. I like the level of carbonation, no problem there. Just the off favor, I taste and smell, is taking over. 

At week four, or so close to week four to call it week four, in the bottle, the Private Rye is dead. Yes dead, the off flavor has taken over and to my tastebuds it is no longer drinkable. 

So in a recap of the Private Rye-

At time of bottling the favors were very good.

At week two in the bottle, the flavors were good with just a hint of the off flavor.

At week three, the off flavor was taking a strong hold over the beer's flavor profile, but still drinkable.

At week four, the beer is dead.

These bottles of Private Rye were kept at 73F until three days before drinking, at which time were placed in the refrigerator. 

So, to summarize:

1) You've brewed Mr. Beer kits as well as extract kits from Northern Brewer.

2) You're using the same process (once the extract kit boil is done) from that point on.

3) The Mr. Beer kits taste great.

4) The Northern Brewer kits taste like crap.

5) The only difference is the ingredients.  

In my infinite wisdom (not that I have any), the issue clearly is with your kits from Northern Brewer.  Perhaps it's AB In-Bev infection?  

4 hours ago, RickBeer said:

No.

Could they be providing stale hops?  Smell them, if they smell like cheese they are stale.

No cheese smell. I have been using their pellet hops and they have always smelled wonderful.

A recap of the Kama Citra IPA, which was bottled today.

Kama Citra IPA extract kit 5 gallon.

Water used -distilled.

Sanitizer - Star San.

Gains steeped 150F for 20 minutes.

60 minute boil - the different hops added at directed times. Hop spider used.

Wort cooled in ice bath 25 minutes.

Wort placed in two LBKs and distilled water added to bring up to the 2 1/2 gallon mark.

Wort was 68F when US-05 yeast was pitched.

The LBKs placed in the fermentation chamber with temp set at 62F.

At 14 days dry hopped. Hops placed in a hop bag, weighed down with a one inch glass marble.

Day 21 bottled - 12 bottles primed with corn sugar (had some left over) - 12 bottles primed with cane sugar. Bottles filled directly from the LBK spigot using a bottling wand.

Bottles stored at 73F in the dark.

At bottling the sample taken had a blonde yellow color with a slight haze, nice citrus smell and very pleasant citrus hop flavor. I would call this a pale ale (maybe the hop spider and hop bags limited the hop favor transfer), but I love it, just hope the off favor does not get it.

Seven days in the bottles, at 73F, and the IPA, has carbonated nicely. I feel no pressure differences between the bottles primed with corn sugar and table sugar. Also the clarity, of the IPA, has come though showing very little of the haze, which it showed before.

Since the carbonation level is good I have placed one primed corn sugar bottle and one primed table sugar bottle in the refrigerator, for a one week tasting. 

IMG_20180607_114132.jpg

18 hours ago, doc280 said:

Seven days in the bottles, at 73F, and the IPA, has carbonated nicely. I feel no pressure differences between the bottles primed with corn sugar and table sugar. Also the clarity, of the IPA, has come though showing very little of the haze, which it showed before.

Since the carbonation level is good I have placed one primed corn sugar bottle and one primed table sugar bottle in the refrigerator, for a one week tasting

I give up...

A one week tasting?  Really?

Your beer needs to carbonate and CONDITION.  One week in the bottle has not accomplished that.  You're simply wasting beer.

And there will be zero difference in carbonation levels between the proper amount of corn sugar vs. the proper amount of table sugar.  Zero.

29 minutes ago, RickBeer said:

I give up...

Your beer needs to carbonate and CONDITION.  One week in the bottle has not accomplished that.  You're simply wasting beer.

And there will be zero difference in carbonation levels between the proper amount of corn sugar vs. the proper amount of table sugar.  Zero.

All true.

Great advice, but letting folks experiment to learn is good. Maybe they will discover something new, or if it turns out bad, reinforce their confidence in the advice B)

- but some people like to make their own mistakes.

2 hours ago, RickBeer said:

I give up...

Well, there is nothing to panic about here and if I loose two bottles of beer, so be it, I have been pouring out 5 gallon batches of undrinkable beer.

The reason for a one week tasting, is some have reported this IPA as being better early in the bottle, in little as one week. So why not a one week tasting to understand how it is maturing in the bottle.

The early tasting of the Private Rye, it tasted good, four weeks in the bottle it was undrinkable. Wish I had put a few more in the refrigerator, I might have enjoyed them, instead of pouring them down the sink.

I know this is not the normal and I have or had (hoping) a problem. To not look under every stone at this point, I believe would be very foolish.

Congratulations, you have finally gotten @RickBeer to give up.  That is a feat worthy of a medal. :lol::lol:

It is your beer and you can do what you want with it.  I always drink a bottle after a week of carbonation.  It lets me know how my carbonation level is progressing and how the beer is progressing.  I always drink at least a couple of ounces at bottling so I can see the changes starting to happen. Not to mention, I don't have the patience to wait longer to see how my batch turned out.  They do change as the weeks go by but in the end it is your beer. 

And by the way, you aren't wasting it by drinking it, you are just converting it to waste water.

This is the one week in the bottle tasting and this is what I have. 

The smell is clean with hop and citrus, zero off smells.

The appearance is a little darker than I expected and it may have just a touch of chill haze, but overall I am not complaining. I have been reading about late extract additions, which should lighten the color and a cold crash may help with the chill haze.

Carbonation is, to me, perfect and nothing to change here.

Taste, first I would not call this an IPA, but a pale ale and do not get me wrong this is not a bad thing. It has a very nice mid-range bitterness, it is light but with a pop of citrus......more specific grapefruit....there is a pop of grapefruit. There are zero off flavors, sorry getting excited here, but this has to be the most perfect summer time, hot weather beer I have ever had. This is the beer I want when I am at the ballpark watching nine innings in the dog days of August.

I know there is the chance they may get better with a little age, but there is a chance that awful off favor takes over and I loose the whole batch. Yes better put a few more in the refrigerator.

IMG_20180609_154657.jpg

Ok, really who can stop at one? Yes I had to do it, I had to open the bottle primed with corn sugar and drink it too. Now I know everything I have been told and read says there will be no difference between the table sugar and corn sugar, however in the one week tasting I have to say there is. The corn sugar primed bottle is little more bitter, not bad, but I do prefer the table sugar primed bottle better at this point.

18 hours ago, doc280 said:

Ok, really who can stop at one? Yes I had to do it, I had to open the bottle primed with corn sugar and drink it too. Now I know everything I have been told and read says there will be no difference between the table sugar and corn sugar, however in the one week tasting I have to say there is. The corn sugar primed bottle is little more bitter, not bad, but I do prefer the table sugar primed bottle better at this point.

Drinking 2 bottles after only 1 week? Can tell the difference between sugars? Now, I know you're having fun poking the bear, but none of us want to see @RickBeer get all riled up again. LOL.

12 hours ago, D Kristof said:

Drinking 2 bottles after only 1 week? Can tell the difference between sugars? Now, I know you're having fun poking the bear, but none of us want to see @RickBeer get all riled up again. LOL.

I really am not trying to stir things up, just trying to report my findings as they develop. 

I will place one bottle primed with table sugar and one primed with corn sugar in the refrigerator at the same time and do a blind taste test, after three days.