Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Jdub

Yeast temp

When I’m using any given yeast.....let’s say it’s range is 59-73 deg. If the yeast gets colder for awhile, like 57 or 58, does the yeast go to sleep? More importantly when it warms back up, does it wake up and get back to work? Or did I kill it when it got colder? I suspect it will wake up considering that I keep yeast in a fridge before using. Thanks for the opinions in advance. 

4 hours ago, Jdub said:

When I’m using any given yeast.....let’s say it’s range is 59-73 deg. If the yeast gets colder for awhile, like 57 or 58, does the yeast go to sleep? More importantly when it warms back up, does it wake up and get back to work? Or did I kill it when it got colder? I suspect it will wake up considering that I keep yeast in a fridge before using. Thanks for the opinions in advance. 

The 59-73 is probably the ideal temp range. I guarantee that if it gets down to 58 that your yeast is still very much awake and hungry. If it was like, say 50 degrees, then is say you should probably not count that time as fermentation time. Lots of things still happen when you drop the temp but just at a much slower pace. 

1 hour ago, Creeps McLane said:

The 59-73 is probably the ideal temp range. I guarantee that if it gets down to 58 that your yeast is still very much awake and hungry. If it was like, say 50 degrees, then is say you should probably not count that time as fermentation time. Lots of things still happen when you drop the temp but just at a much slower pace. 

Ok that’s a good answer. Thanks for that. There’s been a few times where I was over aggressive with my frozen water bottles in the coolers. I was wondering if I blew it or not. Just may have delayed fermentation. 

Jdub,

As Creeps said, it is the optimum range.  I recently brewed a Cream Ale using White Labs 080 with a range of 65 - 70 and I brewed at 63, it rose to 67 after fermentation was basically finished.  I then brewed a beer using White Labs 060 with a range of 68-75 and it never got above 64.  Both beers fermented completely without issue.

You just have to get to where when using a yeast you know what it will tolerate.  Both of the above yeast are generally clean but at the temps that I brew they are very clean.  Also note that I usually pitch at least 1.5 times the recommended amount of yeast and sometimes twice the amount.  Lots of healthy yeast is the secret with healthy being the key word here.

Wort is meant to become beer and yeast love to make this happen.  It is difficult to almost impossible to kill them at lower temperatures.  In fact, if you harvest your yeast from a batch and store it in an airtight jar in the fridge, you are risking an explosion because they will still slowly work even at those temperatures.

Dawg