Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cato

Dry River Rye IPA

18 posts in this topic

Has anybody brewed this recently, and if so what did you think?

I was browsing the recipes this morning and was intrigued by this PM.

I have most of the ingredients on hand but the flaked rye and Centennial, so got those ordered and added this to my queue for 2nd week of May.

If you have any input, tips, or suggestions for this recipe I'd be interested to know your thoughts.

@Cato, while I haven't tried this recipe, I have had rye beer. If you have not tried rye beer, I suggest trying one; there are a few people that don't like them. 

KaijuBrew and RickBeer like this

Thanks for the input @Big Sarge and @RickBeer! This is good input and now I've got to make a trip to Total Wine and try a rauchbier, a rye beer, and then treat myself to a couple other beers in case I don't like the other two.

Recipe calls for 4oz. of flaked rye, so that could definitely be toned down if needed or dropped entirely.

KaijuBrew likes this

54 minutes ago, Cato said:

Thanks for the input @Big Sarge and @RickBeer! This is good input and now I've got to make a trip to Total Wine and try a rauchbier, a rye beer, and then treat myself to a couple other beers in case I don't like the other two.

Recipe calls for 4oz. of flaked rye, so that could definitely be toned down if needed or dropped entirely.

@Creeps McLane & @Bonsai & Brew, have either of you brewed a rye beer before? I'm going tomorrow to Total Wine to get a Schafly Rye IPA that they carry, as well as a Founders Rubaeus, and a rauchbier. 3 very different styles.

The Dry River Rye IPA is what I'm interested in but I've read that flaked rye can be pretty strong, so I'll try a rye beer before I make a batch.

Creeps McLane and D Kristof like this

9 minutes ago, Cato said:

@Creeps McLane & @Bonsai & Brew, have either of you brewed a rye beer before? I'm going tomorrow to Total Wine to get a Schafly Rye IPA that they carry, as well as a Founders Rubaeus, and a rauchbier. 3 very different styles.

The Dry River Rye IPA is what I'm interested in but I've read that flaked rye can be pretty strong, so I'll try a rye beer before I make a batch.

I use rye grain quite frequently. Not flaked though. I try to sneak it in so its not up front but if you look for it, its there. Im not sure on the difference between potency in the flaked vs grain. 

Screw Schafly rye ipa (ive never had it), get nelson by alpine brewing. That beer is amazing. Its the reason i started to like rye beers. 

50 minutes ago, Creeps McLane said:

I use rye grain quite frequently. Not flaked though. I try to sneak it in so its not up front but if you look for it, its there. Im not sure on the difference between potency in the flaked vs grain. 

Screw Schafly rye ipa (ive never had it), get nelson by alpine brewing. That beer is amazing. Its the reason i started to like rye beers. 

Nice, thanks Creeps, will see if total has the Nelson! So, what percentage of grain bill do you sneak in? I'm thinking that would be a better approach than a bold in your face.

32 minutes ago, Cato said:

Nice, thanks Creeps, will see if total has the Nelson! So, what percentage of grain bill do you sneak in? I'm thinking that would be a better approach than a bold in your face.

Ive always told myself no more than 20% for any rye ipa id make. Sierra nevadas ruthless rye is 13% rye, but ive seen recipes for almost 30% rye. I would say for an LBK batch maybe try the recommended 4 oz. that should give you a nice little hint of peppery rye goodness. 

Cato, Shrike and Bonsai & Brew like this

1 hour ago, Cato said:

Don't fear the rye!  I just poured myself a yet-to-be-named Roggenbier brewed with 40% cereal-mashed rye.  It has very nice flavor and even better mouthfeel.  I think I actually like this better than some of the Dunkelweizens that I've brewed.:)  As for Dry River, I don't remember the flaked rye overpowering the IPA profile and I agree with @Creeps McLane that 4 oz. would be just right.🍻

image.jpeg

Shrike, Creeps McLane, Cato and 1 other like this

1 minute ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

Don't fear the rye!  I just poured myself a yet-to-be-named Roggenbier brewed with 40% cereal-mashed rye.  It has very nice flavor and even better mouthfeel.  I think I actually like this better than some of the Dunkelweizens that I've brewed.:)  As for Dry River, I don't remember the flaked rye overpowering the IPA profile and I agree with @Creeps McLane that 4 oz. would be just right.🍻

image.jpeg

Awesome! Thanks so much! BTW, really having fun learning to use QBrew, to build to an OG and sort of in my head and on paper justify balance of ingredients.

14 minutes ago, Creeps McLane said:

Ive always told myself no more than 20% for any rye ipa id make. Sierra nevadas ruthless rye is 13% rye, but ive seen recipes for almost 30% rye. I would say for an LBK batch maybe try the recommended 4 oz. that should give you a nice little hint of peppery rye goodness. 

Cool, Creeps, I think the flaked might be more pronounced than the rye malt, flavor wise, but much less in diastatic power. Still in use with an HME that 4oz shouldn't be a killer. Several suppliers say start with 5-10% and work up from there. Man I love trying new stuff, well, without being ridiculous or mad scientist. More in the vein of new styles of beer to me.

Creeps McLane likes this

5 minutes ago, Cato said:

Awesome! Thanks so much! BTW, really having fun learning to use QBrew, to build to an OG and sort of in my head and on paper justify balance of ingredients.

Qbrew is the gateway to the slipperiest of slopes -- have fun with it!

Cato likes this

While Rickbeer and Bigsarge might nit like rye beers, many if us do. Some just don't know it rye giving that beer its taste.

Personally, I had a Roggenbier that tasted like a slice of fresh baked pumpernickle. Best damn beer I've ever had. My goal is to brew something that good.

Cato likes this

22 minutes ago, D Kristof said:

While Rickbeer and Bigsarge might nit like rye beers, many if us do. Some just don't know it rye giving that beer its taste.

Personally, I had a Roggenbier that tasted like a slice of fresh baked pumpernickle. Best damn beer I've ever had. My goal is to brew something that good.

Going to total wine tomorrow to get a rye beer, a Aecht Scherlenka Marzen (rauchbier), and a fruit beer by Founders.

Pretty sure I'm going to try the rye PM unless it's just totally not my style. I don't think that's going to be the case but I'll get a good idea from a sample rye. Trying new styles is really an eye opener but very cool.

4 hours ago, Cato said:

Going to total wine tomorrow to get a rye beer, a Aecht Scherlenka Marzen (rauchbier), and a fruit beer by Founders.

Pretty sure I'm going to try the rye PM unless it's just totally not my style. I don't think that's going to be the case but I'll get a good idea from a sample rye. Trying new styles is really an eye opener but very cool.

If they have any beers from North Coast, Fort Bragg, CA. I highly recommend. Like New Glarus out of WI, I haven't tasted a beer I didn't like. (My buddy Joe Seta works for North Coast 😉)

Cato likes this

4 hours ago, D Kristof said:

If they have any beers from North Coast, Fort Bragg, CA. I highly recommend. Like New Glarus out of WI, I haven't tasted a beer I didn't like. (My buddy Joe Seta works for North Coast 😉)

They carry some of both. Some of the North Coast is quite high ABV!

D Kristof likes this

18 hours ago, Cato said:

Has anybody brewed this recently, and if so what did you think?

I was browsing the recipes this morning and was intrigued by this PM.

I have most of the ingredients on hand but the flaked rye and Centennial, so got those ordered and added this to my queue for 2nd week of May.

If you have any input, tips, or suggestions for this recipe I'd be interested to know your thoughts.

It's on my "To Try" list.   The base HME is the Long Play, and it's got a lot of bitterness to it (enjoyable bitterness, IMNSHO :) ).  So I don't think the 4oz of flaked rye will be too overpowering.  It should be a nice compliment.

Cato likes this

3 minutes ago, Shrike said:

It's on my "To Try" list.   The base HME is the Long Play, and it's got a lot of bitterness to it (enjoyable bitterness, IMNSHO :) ).  So I don't think the 4oz of flaked rye will be too overpowering.

Been some for and against input, but I'm in the mood "to try".