Mr.Beer Community
epete28

Don't give up if your first batch is disappointing!

I think many of us found this forum because our 1st batch was less than impressive. I'm pretty sure thats what led ME here. I think the first thing to be realized is that in the beginning you will make mistakes, which will result in your beer not being as good as it could have. You WILL get better though. The 2nd thing though, at least for me, is that I was just used to commercial beer. I had to acquire the taste for homemade ale. I now prefer mine over store bought. I just can't make enough to alleviate buying it, lol. Just keep it up and your beer will get where you want it.

my first brew was an altered northwest pale with orange peel...

i jumped right into hop additions and adjuncts after doing due diligence with research.  it came out great.  it was my third mr beer kit that went arse over ears and came out meh.  my fault entirely.  the nice thing is you can drink your mistakes. i just had to dump a bunch of orange drink powder into the glass first for the messed up batch.

If everyone one on this site were to state some of the less than perfect beers and what cased them, it might scare some newbies away.  I have just bottled my 21st batch in my first year. A few had major errors on my part and they all came out drinkable and one type just finished its 3rd brewing.  Start basic and as you learn the basics this way you will become almost automatic in some of the basic skills.  At some point add the extra items, try a partial and soon you will have the understanding that what you do makes such and such a result.  Be patient; Enjoy the errors and write down what you have done.

18058104_757646677727543_5382786156158748581_n.jpg

Very true. My first I thought was a mess through the whole fermenting process. Followed directions and it didn't come out too dam bad. I have brewed 3 batch's and am on hold due to the summer heat. I look forward to start up again when temps cool. For the newbies this forum has had all my answers.

a lot of us have moved on from mr beer but still hang around to 'pay it forward' for having this place when we started out. my first batch i was fine because i was following someone elses tried and true recipe and did my research.  when crazy stuff started happening to me on my 2nd and 3rd batch that is when i was a mess. lol.

1st- yeast took off in under 2 hours.. super quick start.  behaved exactly as expected beyond that so i got spoiled.

2nd batch yeast decided to take its time. by hour 3 after pitching i was here posting OMG my yeast must be dead! it's been 3 hours and theres no krausen! lol.

3rd batch everything went wrong... all kinds of mistakes so i was a mess.

4th batch was the first time i used whirlfloc. OMG SOMEONE PUT SEA WEED IN MY WORT!!!! scrambled to run it through a filter into another carboy.. positive that i messed something up and ruined it.

i gradually got better. most important thing i learned early:  dont panic. everything that you think is wrong is likely just fine... ask someone here.  having ppl to lean on in the early stages of brewing tends to keep ppl in the hobby.