Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jdub

Seasonal Helles Bock

3 posts in this topic

I bought the Helles Bock bc it was on sale and I love bock style beer. I’m a big believer in doing things right the 1st time. Is there anything that you experts would add to this brew? LME? Steeping grains? Hops? I’m not scared.....looking for some expert opinions for this still noob brewer.Thanks

JDub

Make sure it ferments out. Mine was way too over-carbed. I did not put extra priming in. If you can, check OG and FG. I did not - I just relied on the 3 weeks. So I figure it had more malt left  to ferment in the bottles adding to the priming --> gush!

IMO this is pretty hoppy and does not need more. But it is malty too.  It does not lack flavor.

I would make it as it is. It is 6.5% already.

Bonsai & Brew, Marius and Jdub like this

I partial-mashed Hound of Helles with 4 oz. each of Light Munich, Pilsen, and Vienna malt.  I also did a late boil addition of Hallertau Mittelfruh (about a third of an oz. for 10 min).  Like @Nickfixit, this batch did not ferment out and I had too high gravity at Day 27 bottling.  My issue may have been too cold fermentation/stressed yeast but I did end up with a rather nice (but sweet) bock.

Nickfixit, Jdub and NwMaltHead like this