Gutterbunnie

Kolsch recipe using Czech Pilsner?

11 posts in this topic

I want to brew a Kolsch (one of hubby's fav) using extract recipe. Was going to make Shade Tree Kolsch - any recommendations for this one? Wondering if I can/should add any booster although I'm going to be using Pilsner (light) DME (have 1 lb but might only use 1/2). Also picked up some Tettnang hops for short hop boil near end. And going to try using WLP029 Kolsch yeast. Couldn't find the Safale K-97 anywhere & I don't want to pay $8 shipping for a $4 yeast. Kolsch will be my 5th batch and I think I'm getting better at this. Tried my second batch  again last night, the Oktoberfest (basic/standard refill). After 5 weeks conditioning, it is much improved. Very drinkable. Might even give a few away to family to try. Brew de Ale ze Bub is  currently fermenting using Safale 05 (first time using this yeast).  I'm going to echo what someone else posted somewhere, but I almost enjoy brewing the beer more than drinking it! Has become new obsession. Cheers!

On 4/28/2018 at 2:40 PM, Gutterbunnie said:

I want to brew a Kolsch (one of hubby's fav) using extract recipe. Was going to make Shade Tree Kolsch - any recommendations for this one? Wondering if I can/should add any booster although I'm going to be using Pilsner (light) DME (have 1 lb but might only use 1/2). Also picked up some Tettnang hops for short hop boil near end. And going to try using WLP029 Kolsch yeast. Couldn't find the Safale K-97 anywhere & I don't want to pay $8 shipping for a $4 yeast. Kolsch will be my 5th batch and I think I'm getting better at this. Tried my second batch  again last night, the Oktoberfest (basic/standard refill). After 5 weeks conditioning, it is much improved. Very drinkable. Might even give a few away to family to try. Brew de Ale ze Bub is  currently fermenting using Safale 05 (first time using this yeast).  I'm going to echo what someone else posted somewhere, but I almost enjoy brewing the beer more than drinking it! Has become new obsession. Cheers!

I've never brewed a Kolsch, so no help there, but for your yeast, Maryland home brew ships free for a lot of items, which helps when all you need is some hops and yeast type thing. They carry the k-97. Their glass bottles are priced right as well. 

https://www.mdhb.com/

On 4/28/2018 at 1:40 PM, Gutterbunnie said:

Im sorry, i really meant to reply to this. I think youre right on track. I think kolsch is a tough style. But youre picking the right yeast for the job. If you brew a bit warm thats ok for this yeast but i think its better on the low range. Expect a sulfur taste early but if it ages well that will go away. Props to you for what you’ve done so far and taking steps forward

Cato and Shrike like this

On 4/28/2018 at 1:40 PM, Gutterbunnie said:

I made the Shade Tree Kolsch recipe but I added 4oz. flaked oats and 4oz. 2-row. I used S-05 yeast per the recipe. It turn out very good. I made another Kolsch that was my own recipe and used the K-97 yeast and I like that one a little better. K-97 is really a good yeast. I've found it on Amazon for about $11 for 2 free shipping. 

Jdub, Bonsai & Brew and Cato like this

Using booster can be good if you are concerned about color and it can also give more body and head retention than DME sometimes. It will also make the beer less malty flavored and a bit drier tasting.

So you can use it to

- add body and ABV without changing beer color or taste,

- make it lighter and drier but still get some body by using instead of DME/LME.

So it depends if you want the original relatively light beer at 4.2% or want to boost it a bit or make it either way but less malty.

On Kolsch I read:

**Kolsch Style Ale. Kolsch is a German style Ale traditionally brewed in the Cologne region of Germany. This beer is brewed with Malteurope 2-row barley(barley grown and malted in Montana!!), malted white wheat, and noble hops. It is fermented at a lower temperature (for an ale) and lightly hopped to create a very delicately balanced beer.

**Golden, top-fermented style native to Köln, Germany. The style has a very narrow profile and many beers that consider themselves to be Kölsch-beers are not. Generally they have a moderate bitterness, but fairly prominent hop flavour (typically Spalt, Tettnang, or Hallertau). They have high effervescence, medium esters, but a rounded, stylish character derived from lagering. Many Kölsch-beers are brewed using additional wheat-malt to create a smoother sweeter taste.

This link indicates  color 3-6 SRM, bitterness 18-28 IBUs ABV 4.8 to 5.2. and a very light maltiness with soft finish from wheat and ferment with ale yeast.
The Pils HME is  2 SRM, 27 IBUs, ABV 5% with 2 booster pouches.

So to brew to style, it needs a bit more color. So I would use 8 oz of the Pils DME and one booster pack.  I would also do the PM with 4 oz 2 row and 4 oz flaked wheat or oats. That will give you the smoothness.
Or if you want it lighter on ABV. leave out the DME.

That is my 2c. B)
Bonsai & Brew, Cato and John K. like this

Made the Shade Tree Kolsch and added booster to bring it up a bit to what I often drank in Cologne.  May play around with it a bit next time.  I fermented and carbonated it as cool as I could (54º) and, of course, cold crashed it well prior to bottle time.  Liked the taste at bottling. and hope to enjoy one later this week after 8 weeks conditioning.

(Photo of Fredrich Pabst)

29571201_10160180823635293_1367838070675777036_n.jpg

Shrike and John K. like this

Thanks for all the recommendations & will let you know how my Kolsch turns out.  I will check out the Maryland Home Brew shop. I would love to get my hands on some yeast variations & I prefer the dry for my purposes right now. My local Home Brew shop carries mostly liquid yeast strains, WLP or WYEAST smack packs. Those really are meant for 5 gallon batches. But I'm not at the stage to make starters either, that's why I wasn't so sure about just pitching the WLP029 straight up (as per instructions, I let it sit out & warm to room temp). But anyway, for my Kolsch, 30 +hrs after pitching (no starter), there was definitely a very thick Krausen, just one large layer of foam head (like the head in a glass after pouring a Guinness). I don't know how else to describe, but the Krausen wasn't as light & fluffy as other yeasts- it just seemed much thicker/denser.

I went ahead with my Kolsch using 1/2 lb of the light DME & about an oz of Tettnang hops. The aroma when brewing was wonderful, delicious, and light. It's been almost a week & did notice slight Sulfur smell from LBK, which I've read is common, and should go away with conditioning/lagering. The gal at my home brew shop told me to hide a few bottles from myself & try after several months - she said the taste will be quite different!

I may start experimenting with partial mash recipes as I think I'll enjoy the added flavors. Right now I'm wanting to get the hang of brewing extracts with some additions & different yeasts/temps. And I want to try some wheat beers & maybe Saison this summer but need to wait for things to warm up. We're having a cooler spring where temps are hovering 60/70s during the day. From what I've read, Saison's love high heat, consistently over 80 degrees! That might have to be a garage brew:)

dale hihn, DrMJG and Cato like this

I bottled my Kolsch yesterday & FG was about 1.010-1.011 (my hydrometer is not very accurate). When I went to clean out LBK, scooping out the trub, I noticed trub had a green tint. Yes, I had added tettnang hops for short hop boil (no dry hopping),  so I'm thinking because it was a lighter beer, pilsner base, that's why? Or  the yeast ran out of sugar & ate the hops & pooped out green hop-poop? Just curious if anyone else has experienced green trub. It smelled like normal beer, & beer had nice golden color. tasted sample - a little spice to it, I think it will be good after conditioning & then lagering for a bit. Since I made for hubby, he's got a lot more patience than me:) Will let you know in about 6-8 wks how final product turns out.

Um.... is the trub green because it has hops in it? Pellets are really finely ground up.

If the beer turns out green you have to find some Irish friends.

Yeah , I would not worry. I expect it is just the hop bits. I usually bag my hops so do not have green trub.

LOL. Thanks, I hope so. The FG was 1.002 (after adjustment)- and FG should be around 1.011.  Hop pellets in muslin sack, but I suppose a lot could still drop out of sack & settle down into the trub. In the end, if it tastes OK, it's all good, no worries. I'm thinking I may have over-pitched the yeast since it was liquid for a 5 gallon batch, no starter. But anyway. either that or I should have bottled at 2 weeks instead of 3........first time trying a Kolsch & with a liquid yeast. Next time will use dry Safale K97 & maybe check things at 2 weeks, see what the hydro reading is. Hard to know for sure what I'm doing wrong since I'm still pretty new at  this. I'll just keep trying to improve on my process.

Well, you're definitely adjusting the hydrometer reading wrong for temperature.  It is impossible to go from 1.011 or 1.010 to 1.002.  Impossible.

Using this adjustment calculator, if I put in 1.010 as the reading, 32 as the temp (lowest it will take), and 60 as what my hydrometer is calibrated for (printed on bottom of hydrometer label), my new reading is 1.009. https://www.brewersfriend.com/hydrometer-temp/

Going 3 weeks is fine, and using liquid yeast without a starter, in a 2.5 gallon batch, is fine because that's enough yeast for a 5 gallon batch.

Hops are green, so that's why you see some green bits.