Mcapt04

bottling
Honey and priming sugar

11 posts in this topic

I have added a cup and a half of honey into a recipe from Mr.  Beer and my question is when I go to bottle my beer should I adjust the amount of sugar I use to prime my beer? The beer will be going into 12oz long neck glass bottles and according to Mr. Beer I should use 3/4 teaspoons of priming sugar for each bottle. Should I cut that amount down because of the added honey or just use the recommendation from Mr. Beer. Thanks for any help.

Jdub likes this

The yeast would have worked their magic on the sugars in the honey during fermentation and converted them into alcohol.  So prime with sugar as you normally would.

As a side note, there are some who think that the recommended priming amount is too much and 1/2 tsp per 12oz bottle is plenty.  That's totally up to personal preference, though.

Cato, Brian N., Mcapt04 and 2 others like this

Thanks so much for the info!!  Might give the 1/2 tsp a try. Thanks again.

I'm happy with 1/2 teaspoon which is a Domino sugar dot, using the small ones. They make two sizes so you have to look on the side of the box. Makes it easy to prime 12 oz bottles.

Mcapt04 likes this

I 2nd or 3rd that. I have bottled according to the chart and come out with some super fizzy brews. I go 1 dot (1/2 tsp) per 12 oz bottle. Good luck!

Mcapt04 likes this

Thanks a lot guys. Been doing some reading,and with your suggestions, it seems like the consensus is overwhelming in favor of 1/2 tsp per 12oz bottle. Have 2 batches that I will be bottling next Saturday and will go with that. Thanks again for all the info and your help.

Try different levels in different bottles, mark them.  Drink them without looking at the mark until after (blind test).

In reality, different styles call for different levels of carbonation to be true to style.  A Hefeweizen has a higher level of carbonation than a brown for example.

The key is to have adequate carbonation for a style, but not too much.

Cato and Mcapt04 like this

10 hours ago, Jdub said:

I 2nd or 3rd that. I have bottled according to the chart and come out with some super fizzy brews. I go 1 dot (1/2 tsp) per 12 oz bottle. Good luck!

Totally with that 1 small dot (198 per lb. box) for most beers. That is what I use in 12oz. I usually use 2 dots in 500 and 750 ml (rarely 3) and 2 or 3 dots in 1L bottles.

For beers styles needing lower carb I have gone to 1/2 dot.

Sugar dots make life easy.

Jdub, Mcapt04, Cato and 1 other like this

13 hours ago, Mcapt04 said:

I have added a cup and a half of honey into a recipe from Mr.  Beer and my question is when I go to bottle my beer should I adjust the amount of sugar I use to prime my beer? The beer will be going into 12oz long neck glass bottles and according to Mr. Beer I should use 3/4 teaspoons of priming sugar for each bottle. Should I cut that amount down because of the added honey or just use the recommendation from Mr. Beer. Thanks for any help.

That's a lot of honey for a Mr. Beer batch.  One thing people don't often understand is that adding things with sugar in them (honey, molasses, fruit) results in the final product being none of the sweetness of the adjunct you added, because yeast eats the sugars just like the sugar in the malt.  

What honey does to beer is to raise the ABV, and dry out the beer.  For many the term "dry out" seems odd, since we're talking about a liquid product.  Dry means it is crisp, and lacking sweetness, whereas a malty beer has some residual sweetness in it.

I think most of the Mr. Beer recipes add a cup of honey, you used 50% more than that.  That will be a very dry beer.  Might be great, who knows.

If you want honey taste in a beer, steep a small amount of honey malt, never more than 4 oz in a Mr. Beer batch.  And zero honey.  

Brian N., Cato and Mcapt04 like this

Rickbeer, thanks so much for the info. I learned and understood more from your response than I did from reading on line for hours last night!  I have great luck with all of my Mr. Beer batches when I ferment for 3 weeks before bottling. My question is with the addition of the honey to my current batch will 3 weeks be enough time for the batch to ferment or is additional time required.  Will take a sample prior to bottling as I always do but was just curious about the time with the addition of the honey.  Was not shooting for a super dry beer but as you said  it may be great. I am definitely a “newbie” but am enjoying learning the process. Thanks again for your time and the info. Much appreciated