Jump to content
Mr.Beer Community
Palmetto Brew

A couple of newbie questions??

Recommended Posts

I just started my third batch of beer in my LBK (Chantilly Lace Recipe).  1) I added my HME and LME to the water I just removed from boiling heat.  The pot wasn't quite big enough and was too full to mix thoroughly.  So I got a larger pot and added water then I brought it to a boil to "sterilize" it.  I dumped that water then poured my HME/LME mix into the new pot and mixed thoroughly.  2) Once I had the wort with cold water from the refrigerator in the LBK, I pitched the yeast.  I noticed after I pitched the yeast that the temperature was cool.  (below the 65 to 75 degree recommended temperature for fermentation.  Will either of these things cause an "off taste" to the beer when finished?  Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What kind of yeast? I am a relative newbie myself but I would rather be on the cool side than too warm. My experience has been apple cider flavors (not good) when the temps get north of 70. I think you’ll be fine. Keep it around 65. Look up the temp range for your yeast. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Jdub said:

What kind of yeast? I am a relative newbie myself but I would rather be on the cool side than too warm. My experience has been apple cider flavors (not good) when the temps get north of 70. I think you’ll be fine. Keep it around 65. Look up the temp range for your yeast. 

The standard yeast that came with the classic light in the recipe.  It says good between 65 and 75 degrees.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ya that range is 65-75. I think you’re fine. Just ferment at the lower end of the right temp range. I’ve started off too cold before and monitored the temp to ferment at 65 and it turned out fine. I asked the same question to the experts recently and the answer was that if it’s too cold just don’t count that as one of the 21 days fermenting until it comes back up within range. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Jdub said:

Ya that range is 65-75. I think you’re fine. Just ferment at the lower end of the right temp range. I’ve started off too cold before and monitored the temp to ferment at 65 and it turned out fine. I asked the same question to the experts recently and the answer was that if it’s too cold just don’t count that as one of the 21 days fermenting until it comes back up within range. 

Thanks!  It should be up to temp in just a few hours.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Palmetto Brew said:

Thanks!  It should get to temperature in just a few hours which should be around 69 degrees.

I usually shoot for between 64 and 68. I use the ice bottle and cooler method for temperature control. Sometimes I forget to change out the bottles because I have this whole real job thing that I do. I've come home and found batches in the 70s before, but I guess a couple hours doesn't hurt so bad because they seem fine to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Make sure you are not going by ambient room temperature but wort temp. Wort temp can rise during the first 5 days, high krausen. Most here will tape a sponge or folded cloth to the back flat side of the LBK below the wort line and slip a temp probe between them. This insulates the probe enough from ambient to give you wort temp.

Putting your LBK in a camping cooler with a 16oz frozen water bottle should keep it around 64-65 for at least 12hrs. Just keep rotating them.

You may already be doing this, but if not doesn't hurt to mention it. Aside from good sanitation, temp control of your yeast is a crucial aspect in avoiding off flavors.

Lol, it's how I found this forum after two batches that did not do so well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/30/2018 at 6:38 AM, Cato said:

Make sure you are not going by ambient room temperature but wort temp. Wort temp can rise during the first 5 days, high krausen. Most here will tape a sponge or folded cloth to the back flat side of the LBK below the wort line and slip a temp probe between them. This insulates the probe enough from ambient to give you wort temp.

Putting your LBK in a camping cooler with a 16oz frozen water bottle should keep it around 64-65 for at least 12hrs. Just keep rotating them.

You may already be doing this, but if not doesn't hurt to mention it. Aside from good sanitation, temp control of your yeast is a crucial aspect in avoiding off flavors.

Lol, it's how I found this forum after two batches that did not do so well.

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with the lower end of the temp range. I would not let it get higher than 65 especially in the first week of fermentation despite what the range says. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×