Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Kevin Caffrey

Grape Extract?

Anyone ever do anything interesting with grape brewer's extract?  My son had gotten it for me as a gift a few months ago and I used it when bottling some or the standard Mr. Beer weissbier refill.  Also combined it with blackberry extract to get a Blackberry Grape Wheat beer....but, not sure what to really expect!  : )

Kevin

Not grape, but 4/27, I started a watermelon wheat and a cream ale. Instead of actual watermelon, I'm going with the extract when it's time to bottle and the cream ale, I have a vanilla and peanut butter extract that I'm going to try in a couple of the bottles. I'll be sure to let you know how it turns out.

I have Peanut Butter extract actually so it reminded me that this fall I may put a little of that and a little of the grape into a porter to see if I get a PB&J Porter -- though, I must admit, I'm not really that excited to try something like that!

Kevin

Well, I didn't have high expectations, but the Blackberry Grape Wheat concoction I tried a few months back came out very nicely if you like fruity beers.  This one is about 60 days conditioned.  Slightly hazy, slight white head, smell reminds me of some type of fruity candle you'd get from the Ice Cream man as a kid -- closest I can think of is that of a pack of Sweet Tarts or something.  Anyway, got Grape Brewer's Extract and this is what I did with it.  :)

blackberrygrape.jpg.c4004926b8ec70715110a459234148d9.jpg

So the two batches I made turned out great, I made a few bottles without the extracts to test first.

I used the Bavarian Weissbier to make the Watermelon Wheat Recipe. Followed all the steps minus the fruit, and added 0, 1, 2, or 3 drops of watermelon extract at bottling. I was using the plastic bottles, so I don't think I added enough of the extract to notice any watermelon taste, but still enjoyable.

I also used the Canadian Blonde to make a Cream Ale.  Extract wise, I used 2 drops for each 12oz bottle.

Vanilla, Peanut Butter...and decided to try the Watermelon too. The Vanilla seemed to be everyone's favorite. Very sweet, but it was almost a smokey vanilla taste. The Peanut butter didn't taste like Peanut butter at all, to me it was similar to the vanilla with the smokey taste, but no peanut butter. The watermelon seemed to make it a little more tart. 

Maybe because I'm the one that made it, but the flavor extracts didn't wow me. It was almost like a 2nd wave of flavor you got after tasting the beer. Fun to try, but I'm probably done with the extracts. I plan on using real fruit the next time I brew the Watermelon Wheat.