Cato

Wide temperature range yeast

6 posts in this topic

Ran across this yeast on one of my suppliers sites this morning. It's a liquid yeast and assuming it's for a 5 gallon batch. Not cheap at 8.95 but for some of you that live in hot south or southwest states and fight some temp control........
HotHead Ale Yeast Omega OYL-057
Omega Yeast Labs HotHead Ale OYL-057

A highly flocculent Norwegian ale strain with an astoundingly wide temperature range featuring little change in flavor across the range. Clean enough for both American and English styles, it has a unique honey-like aroma with over-ripe mango. Complementary to modern fruity hops. Temperature control is unnecessary with this strain.

• Flocculation: Medium High
  • Attenuation: 75-85%
  • Temperature Range: 62-98 F
  • Alcohol Tolerance: 11% ABV

1 hour ago, Cato said:
Ran across this yeast on one of my suppliers sites this morning. It's a liquid yeast and assuming it's for a 5 gallon batch. Not cheap at 8.95 but for some of you that live in hot south or southwest states and fight some temp control........

A highly flocculent Norwegian ale strain with an astoundingly wide temperature range featuring little change in flavor across the range. Clean enough for both American and English styles, it has a unique honey-like aroma with over-ripe mango. Complementary to modern fruity hops. Temperature control is unnecessary with this strain.

Thats what i used on my last ipa. It was wonderful!

Cato likes this

4 hours ago, Cato said:

$ 8.95 is not cheap but if you harvest your yeast and reuse it, the price per batch can be fairly cheap.

Cato likes this

I used the Omega tropical ale yeast on an all grain 5.5 gallon 2x IPA batch last summer. The batch fermented primary at 74 degrees, secondary at 68 and the final product was amazing. 

Cato and youdontknowme311 like this

@Cato that is a great tip. I am going to try that. checked my local HBS and they carry it for $7.95. Wish i had tried that for my Horse's ass ale that I have fermenting. sounds like that would be ideal. oh well.

Cato and youdontknowme311 like this