Mr.Beer Community
Cato

Wide temperature range yeast

Ran across this yeast on one of my suppliers sites this morning. It's a liquid yeast and assuming it's for a 5 gallon batch. Not cheap at 8.95 but for some of you that live in hot south or southwest states and fight some temp control........
HotHead Ale Yeast Omega OYL-057
Omega Yeast Labs HotHead Ale OYL-057

A highly flocculent Norwegian ale strain with an astoundingly wide temperature range featuring little change in flavor across the range. Clean enough for both American and English styles, it has a unique honey-like aroma with over-ripe mango. Complementary to modern fruity hops. Temperature control is unnecessary with this strain.

• Flocculation: Medium High
  • Attenuation: 75-85%
  • Temperature Range: 62-98 F
  • Alcohol Tolerance: 11% ABV

1 hour ago, Cato said:
Ran across this yeast on one of my suppliers sites this morning. It's a liquid yeast and assuming it's for a 5 gallon batch. Not cheap at 8.95 but for some of you that live in hot south or southwest states and fight some temp control........

A highly flocculent Norwegian ale strain with an astoundingly wide temperature range featuring little change in flavor across the range. Clean enough for both American and English styles, it has a unique honey-like aroma with over-ripe mango. Complementary to modern fruity hops. Temperature control is unnecessary with this strain.

Thats what i used on my last ipa. It was wonderful!

4 hours ago, Cato said:

$ 8.95 is not cheap but if you harvest your yeast and reuse it, the price per batch can be fairly cheap.

@Cato @Creeps McLane I have a can of nw ipa and I think I’m gonna try the Santa Rita Pale Ale recipe that @Shrike said was good. It has been tough temp controlling now that it’s hot. Think I’m gonna try that hothead yeast on a batch and see how it turns out. I have a lager in a cooler in my 90-100 degree garage right now. 4 frozen bottles every 24 hrs. It’s an RTIC cooler so it holds good temp but still....wanna try an omega batch and just keep it in a closet somewhere, no cooler, and not worry about temps. 

31 minutes ago, Jdub said:

@Cato @Creeps McLane I have a can of nw ipa and I think I’m gonna try the Santa Rita Pale Ale recipe that @Shrike said was good. It has been tough temp controlling now that it’s hot. Think I’m gonna try that hothead yeast on a batch and see how it turns out. I have a lager in a cooler in my 90-100 degree garage right now. 4 frozen bottles every 24 hrs. It’s an RTIC cooler so it holds good temp but still....wanna try an omega batch and just keep it in a closet somewhere, no cooler, and not worry about temps. 

My god yes! I would say this hot head yeast can handle that. I find it hard to believe any yeast can go over 80 without crazy esters but apparently this one can. Let me know what you ferment at and how it tastes!

13 minutes ago, Creeps McLane said:

My god yes! I would say this hot head yeast can handle that. I find it hard to believe any yeast can go over 80 without crazy esters but apparently this one can. Let me know what you ferment at and how it tastes!

Seconded.  Santa Rita is a tasty brew.  I'm curious to read about the results with the hothead yeast.

On 5/22/2018 at 9:35 PM, Shrike said:

Seconded.  Santa Rita is a tasty brew.  I'm curious to read about the results with the hothead yeast.

ok @Shrike @Creeps McLane had a santa rita tonight. used the omega hothead yeast and 1/2 cup honey. good flavor. a little fruity and hoppy. super carbed. used 4 dots per 750ml PET bottle. fermented in our laundry room in june without any temp control. maybe average 74 degrees? enjoyed it a lot this evening. just got back from lubbock dropping off my boy for his senior year in college.got him settled in. time flies! i was in need of a good beer tonight after the road trip.

4 minutes ago, Jdub said:

ok @Shrike @Creeps McLane had a santa rita tonight. used the omega hothead yeast and 1/2 cup honey. good flavor. a little fruity and hoppy. super carbed. used 4 dots per 750ml PET bottle. fermented in our laundry room in june without any temp control. maybe average 74 degrees? enjoyed it a lot this evening. just got back from lubbock dropping off my boy for his senior year in college.got him settled in. time flies! i was in need of a good beer tonight after the road trip.

On my to brew list is a beer with some kveik yeast that I’m gonna ferment possibly around 90 degrees and hope I get some interesting esters. I’ll keep you posted. 

Just now, Creeps McLane said:

On my to brew list is a beer with some kveik yeast that I’m gonna ferment possibly around 90 degrees and hope I get some interesting esters. I’ll keep you posted. 

sounds good. how are you gonna get to 90 degrees in wisconsin? especially with frozen tundra weather around the corner?😁

12 minutes ago, Jdub said:

sounds good. how are you gonna get to 90 degrees in wisconsin? especially with frozen tundra weather around the corner?😁

My last beer fermented between 70-80 i think with us-04. Im doing a video on ester suppression with pressurized fermentation. Should be kegging that this week.