Fire Rooster

Carbonation

23 posts in this topic

Could I use one carb tab instead of two for the 740ml bottles ?

I don't care for that much carbonation (mouthfeel ?) in my beer. I am not a fan of carbonation,

including seltzer and soda.

you don't even have to use one.  you can still drink flat beer.  sometimes I deliberately undercarbonate a batch on purpose too.

Cato likes this

Thanks all.

Double checking, didn't think it would be an issue.

The first thing that crosses my mind when drinking a new batch is

"I wish there was less fizz on my mouth and tongue"

Does anyone use DME instead of sugar for carbonation ?

If so, what would be the ratio, 2 teaspoons sugar = ___ DME.

What would be the taste difference using DME, if any.

12 hours ago, zorak1066 said:

you don't even have to use one.  you can still drink flat beer.  sometimes I deliberately undercarbonate a batch on purpose too.

Yeah, why waste the time if you dont want any fizz? For me, that's the best part though, I think I'm addicted to carbonation. Lol

Jdub likes this

Thanks all, going to use one carb tab instead of two, and see how that goes.

Would it be correct to say the ABV will not change,

if one carb tab is used instead of two for a 740ml bottle ?

While using sugar to carbonate beer does in fact change the ABV, it's very minute.  Whether you add one or two, you won't notice any difference, nor possibly even measure one.

epete28 likes this

14 hours ago, zorak1066 said:

Me too, especially dark beers - or those in low carb beer style - 1/2 a dot per 12 oz.

For the stronger beers I use 1 sugar dot/750 ml. Same for darker beers generally. 2 dot/1L.

i used to carb the hell out of my beer... until i started getting plastic bottle failures.  it's cool. overly carbed beer tastes acidic to me.  too much co2 turns into carbonic acid i think. that's what causes the burny tongue feeling and overly sharp back taste.

Creeps McLane likes this

8 minutes ago, zorak1066 said:

i used to carb the hell out of my beer... until i started getting plastic bottle failures.  it's cool. overly carbed beer tastes acidic to me.  too much co2 turns into carbonic acid i think. that's what causes the burny tongue feeling and overly sharp back taste.

How much were you using? I mostly use 16 oz bottles and I go one teaspoon per. It's not too bad, the bottles usually have some "give" to them.

12 hours ago, epete28 said:

Yeah, why waste the time if you dont want any fizz? For me, that's the best part though, I think I'm addicted to carbonation. Lol

The carbonation has to come out, one end or the other.

The only thing better than a 5 second burp in front of your wife is to wake your wife up at 1am, cover her head with the covers, and yell FIRE IN THE HOOOOOOOOOLE for 5 seconds.

adoY

Shrike and epete28 like this

8 hours ago, zorak1066 said:

#truth

#themoreyouknow

Bottled St Pat Stout and used 2 slightly rounded 1/2 teaspoons turbinado sugar.

Used 1/2 teaspoon because it fits easier in neck of bottle, estimated 1 1/4 teaspoons used.

Started Churchill beer and used chilled home well water, pitched whole packet of Safale-US05.

Used turbinado sugar because it was on sale.

Used Safale-US05 because its range is lower than Mr B yeast.

The spot used to brew often gets to 60 at night.

Highly suspect not getting true 3 weeks of fermenting due to possible

stalling, and just had to try a different yeast.

On 5/4/2018 at 11:57 PM, epete28 said:

How much were you using? I mostly use 16 oz bottles and I go one teaspoon per. It's not too bad, the bottles usually have some "give" to them.

i use an online priming sugar calc. some styles have high carbonation.  add to it residual co2 already in the beer from fermentation and old plastic bottles that have been used for years. i am now shooting for about 2 to 2.5 co2 units per bottle regardless of style.   1 liter - about 5 grams sugar.    12 oz bottle - 1 cube (2g)

we'll see how this works out.

epete28 and Cato like this

I'm still using 4 dots to a 750 ml bottle. Guess I should be trying to reduce that.

On the other hand in 1 1/2 years of doing this I've never had a bottle failure... yet.  Now I wonder what I'm doing wrong? 

3.75 volumes of co2 is way too fizzy.  if you use domino dots at 2g sucrose per cube... 8 g is way too much.  you must have damn good bottles and lids.  i think my blow outs were on 1 liter bottles with 4 dots.  i think they were wheats that called for 3.0 co2 units.  granted the bottles were over used and the caps too but....  

i had to stop carbing over 2 and change co2 units (whatever they are called) also because i drink room temp beer. too much co2 sitting on top causes gushers.

i had one cap blow out where the flat bit connects to the ridged bit.

i had one blow out the bottom and shoot up like a rocket. god what a mess.

I remember some instructions suggesting to carbonate 4 dots per 1L and 3 dots per 750. I found that often Waaay too much. I had some funny shape bottles but none broke.

Here is the Mr Beer chart.

Cooper's drops are 4.2 gm same as 1 tsp.

Sugar dots (198/lb are 2.28gm.

So closest to this chart is

1/2 L   - 1 dot (2.28) 2 dots (4.56g)            vs. 4.2 gm (1 tsp)

3/4 L  -  3 dots (6.84g) 4 dots(9.12gm)      vs. 8.4gm (2 tsp)

1L       -  4 dots( 9.12gm) 5 dots(11.4gm)  vs. 10.5gm (2.5 tsp)

So for12 oz and 1/2L I will use 1 dot,   3/4L I will use 1 or 2 (rarely 3 dots) and 1L  I will use 2 or 3 dots (rarely 4 dots)

Priming sugar.png

domino dots - weight = 2.5g... sugar content 2.0 g.  for carbing you are counting the sugar weight. some of that 2.5g must be water or something to bind the sugar into cubes.