Dunkindog

Bottling tips and tricks for a newbie

5 posts in this topic

Hello Everyone! 

So I’m 5 weeks into brewing. I let my Bewitched Amber Ale forment for longer than what was called for after reading some posts on the board and now my plan is to bottle tonight and am looking for any tips and tricks I may not have seen on the forum particularly when it comes to storing and temps while the brew conditions in the bottles.  Thank you all in advanced!

Hi I new to brewing too but I read that you can condition anywhere between 68 to 80 degrees.  I conditioned my first batch at 72 degrees.

Dunkindog likes this

37 minutes ago, Palmetto Brew said:

Hi I new to brewing too but I read that you can condition anywhere between 68 to 80 degrees.  I conditioned my first batch at 72 degrees.

Sounds good. Thank you for the advise!

Find a place to put them for three weeks above 70 degrees for carbonation. After that you can store them at room temp for the rest of the conditioning time. I've found that most regular beers are ready at eight weeks post bottling. Refrigerate one for three days to see if you like it. You will be tempted to start drinking them early, but be patient. 

Room temperature works fine for me for carbonating and conditioning. If I had a place in the house with temps in the low 60s, like a cellar, then after minimum recommended times I'd move them there.  But I don't, so they stay at room temp.

IME:

-  Lighter, malty beers need more than the recommended conditioning time.

-  Stouts, Porters, and hoppy brews are good right at recommended time.

John K. and Cato like this