Mr.Beer Community
Cammanron

Starting to think about HME and LME

@BDawg62 @Cato thanks to both of you. I don’t know what it is......I’m starting to think about what @Creeps McLane and some others have said about adding honey. I just tasted my 2nd round of horse’s ass ale last night. Has 1 cup honey and I steeped honey malt and added lme this time. Was drier (which I like) and less apple taste. I’m going to start doing more honey. I have a few hme cans that I need to brew bc of expiration dates of the yeast....etc. then I will go get a dme recipe. My local HBS sells dme kits already pre-packed like mr beer kits. I can just 1/2 it. 

Yes it it is hotter than $&#@ here this time of year, but it’s amazing the temp I can get in my coolers. Works good. Have a good weekend all. 

JDub,

Be careful how much honey you add.  If you get above a certain percentage it changes from a Beer to a Braggot. 😉

You are correct that Honey will dry out your beer.  I have a couple of recipes that I add some honey to do just that.

Dawg

9 hours ago, BDawg62 said:

JDub,

Be careful how much honey you add.  If you get above a certain percentage it changes from a Beer to a Braggot. 😉

You are correct that Honey will dry out your beer.  I have a couple of recipes that I add some honey to do just that.

Dawg

Right...can’t see going over 1 cup for a lbk recipe. If dry means less sweet like I think it does, I’m down with that. Don’t care much for sweet beer. 

On 6/22/2018 at 6:39 AM, BDawg62 said:

JDub,

Do as Cato says, I brew 2.5 gallons all the time.  I use Beersmith and just let it scale 5 gallon recipes to 2.5 gallons.  But if you don't have Beersmith, you can just halve a 5 gallon recipe and it will be good.  With DME it is very easy to weigh out your ingredients prior to brewing.

I only brew 5 gallons when I am satisfied with how a beer turns out, after several 2.5 gallon batches.  One thing to remember is that your next door neighbor can brew a recipe and you can brew the exact same recipe and both beers will be different.  Maybe only slightly different, but they will be different.  Equipment and a lot of other factors play a role in how your beer turns out, not just the recipe.

Dawg...I picked up a 5 gal recipe over the weekend. I measured out 2.5 gallons in my LBK and damn near goes to the top. Is there enough overhead with 2.5 gal in there to allow krausen without a keg explosion? Or can I probably expect an overflow? I will just have to find out I guess. Or.....use 40% of everything for the recipe, but I don't want leftover stuff I have to store. I just want to make it and if I like it, make it again, or mod it.

45 minutes ago, Jdub said:

Dawg...I picked up a 5 gal recipe over the weekend. I measured out 2.5 gallons in my LBK and damn near goes to the top. Is there enough overhead with 2.5 gal in there to allow krausen without a keg explosion? Or can I probably expect an overflow? I will just have to find out I guess. Or.....use 40% of everything for the recipe, but I don't want leftover stuff I have to store. I just want to make it and if I like it, make it again, or mod it.

Why not use all of the ingredients but only use a total of 4.5 gallons (2.25/LBK)? Slightly higher ABV without altering the beer much.

It seems like my higher gravity brews need more room for krausen, so 6.5 or higher I just go to the 2 gal mark or maybe a little over. Otherwise I'll go to 2.25 or 2.5 depending on my OG and how many hop sacks I'm going to end up with. Those pellets can really soak up some wort!

Overflows are a pain to clean up in my mini fridge so watching my estimated OG in Qbrew, actual OG, and yeast selection help me in determining what volume I'll shoot for. Others more experienced than me may have a better method, but so far that has worked for me with the LBK fermenters.

8 hours ago, Jdub said:

Jdub,

As @RickBeer says he puts 2.5 gallons in his LBKs all the time.  If you are concerned do as @D Kristof and @Cato say and only do 2.25 gallons with half of the ingredients.  That is only a quart less so it will make your beer slightly higher in ABV and possibly concentrate flavors slightly.  To help with overflow also brew at a lower temperature, this will slow down the yeast but they will still do their job, just with a little less krausen.  Also plan for a little bit of overflow and then when it happens cleanup won't be as difficult.  I don't use LBK's to ferment but even with a 3 gallon carboy I occasionally have blowoff.  Depends on the mood of the yeast.

Dawg

14 hours ago, D Kristof said:

Why not use all of the ingredients but only use a total of 4.5 gallons (2.25/LBK)? Slightly higher ABV without altering the beer much.

true...who says i have to use exactly 2.5 gallons. good point. thanks!

6 hours ago, BDawg62 said:

Jdub,

As @RickBeer says he puts 2.5 gallons in his LBKs all the time.  If you are concerned do as @D Kristof and @Cato say and only do 2.25 gallons with half of the ingredients.  That is only a quart less so it will make your beer slightly higher in ABV and possibly concentrate flavors slightly.  To help with overflow also brew at a lower temperature, this will slow down the yeast but they will still do their job, just with a little less krausen.  Also plan for a little bit of overflow and then when it happens cleanup won't be as difficult.  I don't use LBK's to ferment but even with a 3 gallon carboy I occasionally have blowoff.  Depends on the mood of the yeast.

Dawg

thanks for the tips....I am checking out that Beersmith website too. looks like a good program. They have a bunch of all grain recipes out there that you can scale easily with the software.

Beersmith is the only software that I use.  With the new upgrade to Beersmith 3, I don't even have to use my old water spreadsheet for water additions.

In addition to hundreds of all grain recipes, Beersmith also has hundreds of extract and partial mash recipes. 

Very good resource for brewers, worth every penny in my opinion.

31 minutes ago, BDawg62 said:

Beersmith is the only software that I use.  With the new upgrade to Beersmith 3, I don't even have to use my old water spreadsheet for water additions.

In addition to hundreds of all grain recipes, Beersmith also has hundreds of extract and partial mash recipes. 

i will get it for sure. Thanks to this forum, my eyes are opening more and more all the time as to what is out there. Only problem is.....I have so much beer at the house now that I can't keep up with it after roughly 15 batches this year.

1 minute ago, Jdub said:

i will get it for sure. Thanks to this forum, my eyes are opening more and more all the time as to what is out there. Only problem is.....I have so much beer at the house now that I can't keep up with it after roughly 15 batches this year.

Invite a few friends over and your problem will be solved.

10 minutes ago, BDawg62 said:

Invite a few friends over and your problem will be solved.

LOL, you are right BDawg. When I went on vacation to a family gathering in OBX, I took a six pack from each of my pipeline brews and hosted a flight night one evening. I came back with a lot of empty bottles!

2 hours ago, Jdub said:

I love having #homebrewproblems.  😃

6 hours ago, Shrike said:

I love having #homebrewproblems.  😃

asking the group....am I a bad person because I don't want to share with my neighbors b/c I know they won't give me my bottles back?😂

there is nothing wrong with doing things just for you.. or friends who respect your bottle return policy. now if the neighbor were trading you something like vegs from the garden or some meat from a hunt i wouldnt have a problem.  i'd trade some homebrew they liked for some boar or deer  meat easy.

11 hours ago, zorak1066 said:

there is nothing wrong with doing things just for you.. or friends who respect your bottle return policy. now if the neighbor were trading you something like vegs from the garden or some meat from a hunt i wouldnt have a problem.  i'd trade some homebrew they liked for some boar or deer  meat easy.

For the last couple of years, my wife's nephew has been providing me with venison jerky. Because it tasted so good and different than in the past, I asked him what the secret was for making jerky. He told me, he marinates the venison in milk...and some of my homebrew. Got a kick out of that until I discovered that's all he was using the beer for. He has his fridge stocked with MichUltra. I'm torn between providing more jerky ingredients to him or sharing it with my side of the family. 

If he is choosing to drink MichUltra over your homebrew it is time to cut him off.

I have cut off two of my nephews after they brought a 12 of MichUltra to my Thanksgiving dinner knowing that I have all of the homebrew they could want.  They don't even get it offered to them yet I offer to others who are there.  My wife says that is mean spirited but I say there are unwritten laws that have been broken and they should be punished.

4 minutes ago, BDawg62 said:

If he is choosing to drink MichUltra over your homebrew it is time to cut him off.

I have cut off two of my nephews after they brought a 12 of MichUltra to my Thanksgiving dinner knowing that I have all of the homebrew they could want.  They don't even get it offered to them yet I offer to others who are there.  My wife says that is mean spirited but I say there are unwritten laws that have been broken and they should be punished.

For anyone who cares, i am always open to beer trades. Ill never mistreat your beer

theres nothing wrong too with liking commercially available swill. i myself drink rolling rock or pbr when i cant afford to make beer.. but to use home brew for a marinade??! what a jerk. even crap beer that was home made and offered as a sample would get consumed. if i hated it , i would tactfully tell you 'hey man, i appreciate the beer but hmm.. ya know it's just not my thing. '  and then i would tell you if asked why i didnt care for it. i wont lie... or use it to wash the floor or soak my feet or as a marinade. 😕   so much work goes into making beer and to your typical true brewer making beer is a labor of love.

as for the unwritten law Bdawg i think it is written somewhere but it's in sumerian text and i dont read cuneiform. one of the lines in the Song of Ninkasi surely goes:

Ninkasi, blessed are we for we have  beer

and blessed be those to it we treat

but cursed be the fool who on receiving it

uses your beer to soak his meat!

On 5/11/2018 at 3:48 PM, BDawg62 said:

Canmanron,

I understand the "twang" that you are getting.  I got it from any HME or LME batch that I brewed.  Then I tried DME and added my own hops and it all but disappeared.  Now with all grain it is gone completely. 

I use my tap water and campden tablets to dechlorinate it. 

Maybe try the DME approach or try Distilled water since the LME and HME already have the necessary minerals in them.

Dawg,

thanks for the tips. i have 2 dme recipes fermenting now in my coolers. we'll see how it turns out as far as green apple cider taste.  can't wait to try it. i am about to try my 1st all grain batch in a week or so as soon as a lbk frees up.

Jdub

On 8/15/2018 at 1:25 PM, BDawg62 said:

Dawg,

I've been messing around with Beersmith. What a great program. Downloaded a few recipes and brewed one already. building a 5 gal mash tun right now and I like how you can scale the recipes to your equipment and it tells you the gallons to heat up and to what temp for mash and batch sparge. thanks for the tip.

37 minutes ago, Jdub said:

Dawg,

I've been messing around with Beersmith. What a great program. Downloaded a few recipes and brewed one already. building a 5 gal mash tun right now and I like how you can scale the recipes to your equipment and it tells you the gallons to heat up and to what temp for mash and batch sparge. thanks for the tip.

BeerSmith is one of the best things i ever bought in my brewing career