Mr.Beer Community

In the spirit of friendly competition, grab some Churchills Nut Brown Ale refills for $10 and get crafting!  I've always felt a little sorry for this extract because there is only 1 recipe for it.  Maybe we can get some ideas going here and brew something special to keep Calavera Spiced Chile Stout company.  This would be a great time for @AnthonyC to return to the Forum with his "Fat Bottomed Squirrels" Nut Brown Ale recipe, but get crafty, be original, and have fun!      

I'll play along on this since I was planning to try a couple PM's that I've been working on in Qbrew anyway. My LBK's won't open up for a few more weeks. 

Lol, since you are the OP @Bonsai & Brew, how do we go about this? Do we share our recipe before brewing or just have at it and brew it and then reveal?

@Cato -- That's a great question and thanks for joining in!  There are no ground rules but I usually can't help myself from posting recipes that I haven't even brewed yet.  At the same time, you don't want to give away your best ideas to your fellow competitors, so it's up to you.:)

2 hours ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

@Cato -- That's a great question and thanks for joining in!  There are no ground rules but I usually can't help myself from posting recipes that I haven't even brewed yet.  At the same time, you don't want to give away your best ideas to your fellow competitors, so it's up to you.:)

Well alrighty then, I love just planning a new brew out and making little tweaks here and there. This'll be fun and I'm sure to learn a lot from you and MRB Tim on critiques of my grain bill.

Boy, I've been back and forth a lot but think I'm starting to close in on what I'm going to brew. Lol, I know I am going to have to drink this once its done and bottled.

Definitely going to be interesting because I've only tasted the hydrometer sample from Calavera Stout. So I'm going a lot by description and have likely created a 

Frankenbrew, working with some new grains and HME. RDWHAB, its all good.

More than likely, I'll brew another version of a cellared barrel-aged Old Ale (with, or w/o Port wine) but could end up with an English Barleywine if I get carried away with my grain bill.  Discipline is not exactly my strong suit when it comes to brewing beer.  

2 hours ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

More than likely, I'll brew another version of a cellared barrel-aged Old Ale (with, or w/o Port wine) but could end up with an English Barleywine if I get carried away with my grain bill.  Discipline is not exactly my strong suit when it comes to brewing beer.  

Well, I did get carried away with my grain bill and then realized I'd have a better chance at making a decent beer going with a bit less complexity, so going by the KISS thought process, I pared it down.

I wasn't sure if we were supposed to stay within items like grains, hops, Lme, etc that MB carried or not, but in doing so helped me solve my items to pare down. Lol, I ordered a spare Churchill's to indulge my whims later on.

So I've sifted through enough recipes and finalized my recipe and should be set on my inventory.

MRB Tim is quiet on his desert search, but mine is locked in and set to go in my queue. 

I've used some elements of a Scotch Ale, (MB archived recipe), and elements of Northern English Brown Ale recipes. Where that falls style wise I'm not too concerned, mainly getting my proportions in balance. Churchill-HME, LME, two-row, Victory, Crystal, Roasted Barley, Heather tips, Fuggles, Nottingham yeast. O.G. if I remember should be about 1.071, F.G. 1.018 range and about 6.8% ABV.

There, I'm done until I can start brewing which at earliest will be mid to late next week.

29 minutes ago, Cato said:

Well, I did get carried away with my grain bill and then realized I'd have a better chance at making a decent beer going with a bit less complexity, so going by the KISS thought process, I pared it down.

I wasn't sure if we were supposed to stay within items like grains, hops, Lme, etc that MB carried or not, but in doing so helped me solve my items to pare down. Lol, I ordered a spare Churchill's to indulge my whims later on.

So I've sifted through enough recipes and finalized my recipe and should be set on my inventory.

MRB Tim is quiet on his desert search, but mine is locked in and set to go in my queue. 

I've used some elements of a Scotch Ale, (MB archived recipe), and elements of Northern English Brown Ale recipes. Where that falls style wise I'm not too concerned, mainly getting my proportions in balance. Churchill-HME, LME, two-row, Victory, Crystal, Roasted Barley, Heather tips, Fuggles, Nottingham yeast. O.G. if I remember should be about 1.071, F.G. 1.018 range and about 6.8% ABV.

There, I'm done until I can start brewing which at earliest will be mid to late next week.

Nice "Wee Heavy Winston" there Cato!  I think you've taken an early lead in the competition, but you never know what @MRB Tim might be up to... 

7 minutes ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

Nice "Wee Heavy Winston" there Cato!  I think you've taken an early lead in the competition, but you never know what @MRB Tim might be up to... 

LOL, @Bonsai & Brew, I knew I was dusted before even joining in on this fun, but it's making me put my thinking cap on, and I do have to be able to drink this once its done.

However, it'll be fun for me to see where I went wrong and what I might have done right when I show you guys my QBrew recipe, and will welcome any critiques.

1 minute ago, Cato said:

LOL, @Bonsai & Brew, I knew I was dusted before even joining in on this fun, but it's making me put my thinking cap on, and I do have to be able to drink this once its done.

However, it'll be fun for me to see where I went wrong and what I might have done right when I show you guys my QBrew recipe, and will welcome any critiques.

Looking forward to it!

Monday, Memorial Day, I'll cold crash my Tangerously Hoppy IPA and Tuesday will be brew day for "Wee Heavy Winston" so dubbed by @Bonsai & Brew! My supplies arrived today and I've  got some other names I can give it, but that one stuck like fly paper, so it's named like that in my Excel sheet for now.

I kinda wish they made a 5 gallon brew kettle /mash tun for us little guys but found I've got a 12qt. ALLCLAD pot with a full steamer basket that sits about an inch off the bottom. Yeah, that baskets going to hold some grains next Tuesday and relieve me of trying to use my oversize strainer to drain grain sacks.

Queue is shaping up for an Irish Red using a Muntons Maris Otter can of LME with grain additions, and then a Strong Dark Belgian Ale, using a jar of Briess LME and grains. 

1 hour ago, Cato said:

I kinda wish they made a 5 gallon brew kettle /mash tun for us little guys but found I've got a 12qt. ALLCLAD pot with a full steamer basket that sits about an inch off the bottom. Yeah, that baskets going to hold some grains next Tuesday and relieve me of trying to use my oversize strainer to drain grain sacks.

Tell me about it!  That is exactly what I've been looking for.  I'll continue my search online but from your description, that 3 gallon kettle would be perfect for 2 gallon mash-in-sack recipes, and the steamer basket would allow for a little sparging as well!

1 minute ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

Tell me about it!  That is exactly what I've been looking for.  I'll continue my search online but from your description, that 3 gallon kettle would be perfect for 2 gallon mash-in-sack recipes, and the steamer basket would allow for a little sparging as well!

Yes  I want to try a small batch of mash in sack in that 3 gallon kettle, though I'd need to watch it like a hawk for hot break.

No sooner had I lamented the lack of a 5 gallon kettle, when one popped up on my Google. Made by Anvil. 

https://www.amazon.com/Anvil-Brew-Kettle-5-5-gal/dp/B01HECQZ1Y/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1527127096&sr=8-5&keywords=5+gallon+brew+kettle

22 hours ago, Cato said:

Yes  I want to try a small batch of mash in sack in that 3 gallon kettle, though I'd need to watch it like a hawk for hot break.

No sooner had I lamented the lack of a 5 gallon kettle, when one popped up on my Google. Made by Anvil. 

https://www.amazon.com/Anvil-Brew-Kettle-5-5-gal/dp/B01HECQZ1Y/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1527127096&sr=8-5&keywords=5+gallon+brew+kettle

Great -- now I'm shopping for yet another stock pot to brew mash-in-sack recipes...

https://www.amazon.com/Excelsteel-Quart-Stainless-Muti-Cookware-Encapsulated/dp/B002CGSYB2/ref=pd_cp_79_4?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B002CGSYB2&pd_rd_r=79f2c215-5f43-11e8-8fd5-1bda721a730b&pd_rd_w=JauHx&pd_rd_wg=l45ng&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=80460301815383741&pf_rd_r=KM9241H6B5QRAWEVKH3K&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=KM9241H6B5QRAWEVKH3K

On 5/23/2018 at 9:51 PM, Bonsai & Brew said:

Ordered a 5.5 gal kettle today from SS Brewtech. It's bigger than the kitchen pots I've been using but I think will give me more flexibility in partial mashes or even BIAB batches to fit in my LBKs. Once I get it setup and brew a few PMs I hope you and @Creeps McLane can give me a few tips or answer some questions on small BIAB batches. 

I liked this size because it'll fit on my gas stove top very comfortably and I got the screw in barb and 3 feet of food grade tubing for draining.

1527336367198997876955.jpg

3 hours ago, Cato said:

Ordered a 5.5 gal kettle today from SS Brewtech. It's bigger than the kitchen pots I've been using but I think will give me more flexibility in partial mashes or even BIAB batches to fit in my LBKs. Once I get it setup and brew a few PMs I hope you and @Creeps McLane can give me a few tips or answer some questions on small BIAB batches. 

I liked this size because it'll fit on my gas stove top very comfortably and I got the screw in barb and 3 feet of food grade tubing for draining.

1527336367198997876955.jpg

You're gonna brew some amazing beers with that!  I want one!🍻

Chartwell Special Christmas Ale

• Mr. Beer Churchills Nut Brown Ale, 2.86 lb.
  • Crisp Finest Maris Otter, 1.25 lb.
  • BrewMax Smooth DME
  • Flaked barley, 0.12 lb.
  • Weyermann CaraMunich Type 2, 0.18 lb.
  • Crisp Amber malt, 0.18 lb.
  • Chateau Special B, 0.12 lb.
  • Lyle's Black Treacle, 0.25 lb.
  • Bramling Cross, 7.8% AA, 0.5 oz., 30 min.
  • Whitbread Golding Variety, 6.4% AA, 0.37 oz., 10 min.
  • Sun-dried figs in Amaretto, added after primary fermentation
  • Safale S-04

Mash grains for 45 min. @ 152 F.

Sprinkle sparge with hot tap water.

Add DME, heat to hot break, then begin 30 min. boil, hopping as scheduled.

Add black treacle with 10 min. left of boil.

Add HME @ flame-out.

Chill wort.

Transfer to LBK and make to volume.

Ferment with S-04 @ 65 F for the first few days, then allow primary fermentation to finish warmer.

OG. 1.082

SRM 30

ABV 8.4%

IBU TBA (probably close to 40)

image.jpeg

1 hour ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

Chartwell Special Christmas Ale

• Mr. Beer Churchills Nut Brown Ale, 2.86 lb.
  • Crisp Finest Maris Otter, 1.25 lb.
  • BrewMax Smooth DME
  • Flaked barley, 0.12 lb.
  • Weyermann CaraMunich Type 2, 0.18 lb.
  • Crisp Amber malt, 0.18 lb.
  • Chateau Special B, 0.12 lb.
  • Lyle's Black Treacle, 0.25 lb.
  • Bramling Cross, 7.8% AA, 0.5 oz., 30 min.
  • Whitbread Golding Variety, 6.4% AA, 0.37 oz., 10 min.
  • Sun-dried figs in Amaretto, added after primary fermentation
  • Safale S-04

Mash grains for 45 min. @ 152 F.

Sprinkle sparge with hot tap water.

Add DME, heat to hot break, then begin 30 min. boil, hopping as scheduled.

Add black treacle with 10 min. left of boil.

Add HME @ flame-out.

Chill wort.

Transfer to LBK and make to volume.

Ferment with S-04 @ 65 F for the first few days, then allow primary fermentation to finish warmer.

OG. 1.082

SRM 30

ABV 8.4%

IBU TBA (probably close to 40)

image.jpeg

"Wee Heavy Winston" won't be far behind! Your Special Christmas Ale sounds mouthwatering and likely aptly named for brewing now as a high gravity, probably won't be fully bottle conditioned until Xmas!

9 minutes ago, Cato said:

"Wee Heavy Winston" won't be far behind! Your Special Christmas Ale sounds mouthwatering and likely aptly named for brewing now as a high gravity, probably won't be fully bottle conditioned until Xmas!

Thanks!  I just ordered 2 more Churchills, so keep crafting!🍻

On 5/26/2018 at 10:58 PM, Cato said:

So, on your Chartwell Churchill's brew, you used some DME. 

I've never used that before and since LME is so easily dissolved, why use DME? I've read where people had it turn into tar like substance, and ended up pouring it all down the drain.

1 hour ago, Cato said:

So, on your Chartwell Churchill's brew, you used some DME. 

I've never used that before and since LME is so easily dissolved, why use DME? I've read where people had it turn into tar like substance, and ended up pouring it all down the drain.

It's what I had on hand, but DME really is quite easy to use.  Just quickly dump it in pre-boil and stir to dissolve while bringing your wort to a boil.  There is no need to freak-out over the inevitable clumps that form, but don't worry about it, they will dissolve quickly enough.

PS  Do not discard unfermented wort.  Ever. 🍻

7 hours ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

It's what I had on hand, but DME really is quite easy to use.  Just quickly dump it in pre-boil and stir to dissolve while bringing your wort to a boil.  There is no need to freak-out over the inevitable clumps that form, but don't worry about it, they will dissolve quickly enough.

PS  Do not discard unfermented wort.  Ever. 🍻

Ah, so you use it as you are heating to a boil. Guessing you've got to stir constantly until dissolved to avoid scorching. 

Every day is a learning curve for me in brewing.