Jump to content
Mr.Beer Community

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Cato said:

Ah, so you use it as you are heating to a boil. Guessing you've got to stir constantly until dissolved to avoid scorching. 

Every day is a learning curve for me in brewing. 

 

From my experience, DME can be a pain if you try to do a slow, deliberate addition over a steaming kettle.  This will result in a sticky mess and much frustration.  Add it quickly, stir the floating clumps until dissolved, then keep a watchful eye for the hot break!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 7:59 PM, Cato said:

Yes  I want to try a small batch of mash in sack in that 3 gallon kettle, though I'd need to watch it like a hawk for hot break.

No sooner had I lamented the lack of a 5 gallon kettle, when one popped up on my Google. Made by Anvil. 

https://www.amazon.com/Anvil-Brew-Kettle-5-5-gal/dp/B01HECQZ1Y/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1527127096&sr=8-5&keywords=5+gallon+brew+kettle

 

What influenced your decision to get the SStech kettle over the Anvil linked here?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Cato said:

Ah, so you use it as you are heating to a boil. Guessing you've got to stir constantly until dissolved to avoid scorching. 

Every day is a learning curve for me in brewing. 

 

Here's a post I made a while back containing a three-minute video about different methods of combining DME and water.  I've never used DME so can't comment from personal experience.  The blender method looks good, though.
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

 

What influenced your decision to get the SStech kettle over the Anvil linked here?

It's nearly a toss up as they are both the same capacity.

However, some of the factors that influenced me are;

 

3 piece valve on the SS vs 2 piece on the Anvil. ( I watched a vid on taking apart a 3 piece and they break down easily for cleaning)

 

The Anvil is shorter and squattier at 12" dia and 11 5/8 high, vs the SS 11" dia and 13.4 high. I figured that may work better for me in covering grains on small batch's as well as maybe better flame coverage on my gas stove. Not worried about the stability as I have those heavy duty cast iron continuous grates.

 

Finally my gut feeling that I'm buying from a firm that makes homebrew equipment, Nano brew equipment, and Professional Systems up to 20bbl. The principals started a brewery that's still in operation before embarking on the equipment side. Check out their web site, I guess that kind of sold me on them too.

https://www.ssbrewtech.com/collections/ss-brew-kettles

 

I can add a thermometer later on the SS if I need too, but since I'm going to be doing some BIAB, I didn't want one poking holes in my bag since the kettle will be doing mash tun duty. Not a biggie though since you can put a bulkhead plug.

 

Either one should work fine though, I've just learned to go with my gut on what feels right for me. Ah, got notice a few minutes ago they created my shipping label and it should take about 5 days to get here from Calif.

I'm excited to have it! LOL, whats happened to me with this brewing thing that I'm getting giddy over a new kettle. Boys and their toys I guess. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cato said:

It's nearly a toss up as they are both the same capacity.

However, some of the factors that influenced me are;

 

3 piece valve on the SS vs 2 piece on the Anvil. ( I watched a vid on taking apart a 3 piece and they break down easily for cleaning)

 

The Anvil is shorter and squattier at 12" dia and 11 5/8 high, vs the SS 11" dia and 13.4 high. I figured that may work better for me in covering grains on small batch's as well as maybe better flame coverage on my gas stove. Not worried about the stability as I have those heavy duty cast iron continuous grates.

 

Finally my gut feeling that I'm buying from a firm that makes homebrew equipment, Nano brew equipment, and Professional Systems up to 20bbl. The principals started a brewery that's still in operation before embarking on the equipment side. Check out their web site, I guess that kind of sold me on them too.

https://www.ssbrewtech.com/collections/ss-brew-kettles

 

I can add a thermometer later on the SS if I need too, but since I'm going to be doing some BIAB, I didn't want one poking holes in my bag since the kettle will be doing mash tun duty. Not a biggie though since you can put a bulkhead plug.

 

Either one should work fine though, I've just learned to go with my gut on what feels right for me. Ah, got notice a few minutes ago they created my shipping label and it should take about 5 days to get here from Calif.

I'm excited to have it! LOL, whats happened to me with this brewing thing that I'm getting giddy over a new kettle. Boys and their toys I guess. ;)

 

I just got excited over finding an online boil-off rate calculator! L:DL

 

Thanks for the above comparison -- I'm already thinking about 3-4 gallon mash-in-sack batches and both of these kettles would accomplish that nicely.  If it does come to retiring my 8 and 10 qt. Tfal stock pots, I'm having a 'retirement' party at my house with free beer!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

 

I just got excited over finding an online boil-off rate calculator! L:DL

 

Thanks for the above comparison -- I'm already thinking about 3-4 gallon mash-in-sack batches and both of these kettles would accomplish that nicely.  If it does come to retiring my 8 and 10 qt. Tfal stock pots, I'm having a 'retirement' party at my house with free beer!  

 

Ruh Roh, if you start thinking like that it becomes sooo easy to pull the trigger "Add to cart". I don't want to change my avatar to Eddie Haskell.

 

But, you're right that's what got me started, thinking that I needed some more viable options to try different things but stay within my fermenters as I don't have space for much more than two LBK's in the mini fridge.

 

LOL, on Homebrew web site I think it was or one of the BIAB sites I found tables this morning for preboil volumes, calculations for evap during boil, etc. Gonna have to go back and print those out.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For the record, my knowledge of whiskey is quite limited, let alone those produced from rye. :)

 

Optional Rock & Rye Baltic Porter

  • Mr. Beer Churchills Nut Brown Ale, 2.86 lb.
  • Weyermann Dark Munich, 0.5 lb.
  • BrewMax Smooth DME
  • Mr. Beer Pilsner, 0.25 lb.
  • Flaked rye, 0.12 lb.
  • Weyermann CaraMunich Type 1, 0.18 lb.
  • Crisp Amber malt, 0.18 lb.
  • Chateau Special B, 0.12 lb.
  • Carafa II, 2 oz. by volume
  • Patagonia Chocolate malt, 1 oz. by volume
  • Sovereign, 5.3% AA, 0.56 oz., 30 min.
  • Sovereign, 5.3% AA, 0.19 oz., 10 min.
  • Optional:  Light toast American Oak in Hochstadter's Slow & Low Rock and Rye Whiskey, added after primary fermentation
  • Danstar Nottingham

Cold-steep Carafa + Chocolate malts for a few hours prior to brewing.

Mini-mash remaining grains for 45 min. @ 152 F.

Sprinkle sparge grain bag with hot tap water.

Add DME, heat to hot break, then begin 30 min. boil, hopping as scheduled.

Add cold-steep liquor with 15 min. left of boil.

Add HME @ flame-out.

Chill wort.

Transfer to LBK and make to volume.

Ferment cool with Nottingham @ 58-60 ºF for the first 7-10 days, then allow fermentation to finish closer to ale temps.

 

OG. 1.068

SRM 32

ABV 7.6%

IBU 34

 

rocknrye.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Bonsai & BrewLol, I'm running behind on the Churchill's Challenge. Should get to brew maybe Wednesday or Friday. Bottling an IPA tomorrow.

However, looking forward to the Churchill's. Might be the trial run for the new kettle.

 

Assembly was easy and no leaks. My temp probe will reach down to 1.5 gal. mark, and just under 3 gal. mark covers the bulkhead where a Thermometer can be mounted. I think it should work pretty well for my size batches.

20180604_175918.jpg

20180604_174705.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My first attempt at the Churchill's challenge did not go without some stress, but in the end I made beer.

 

1 can Hme- Churchills

1 brewmax LME-robust

4oz. 2 row

4 oz. Crystal 60

 4oz. Vienna

.5oz. Roasted Barley

1/2 cup honey last 5 min. of boil

.5 oz. Willamette boiled 15 min.

.5oz. Willamette last 5 min. of boil

1.oz. Heather tips last 5 min of boil

Danstar Nottingham yeast

All grains mashed for 30 min at 160F

 

Overcooked my first mash because my temp probe wasn't deep enough in the mash water and was reading far less than actual. If it hadn't been for the roasted barley, I might have considered going with it, but there went my only Victory grains. Crap, my bad, but time to shift gears. So I had back up grains for all but the Victory, so subbed Vienna, changed to my digital probe and back to the races.

 

I've got a new kettle and it did it's part just fine. I really like having a larger size, as hot break is no biggie compared to worrying about boil over. Also, draining the wort  through a hose is super convenient.

 

So, with this now hybrid batch I was shooting for OG of 1.074, what I got was 1.067. Lol, might not be a Wee Heavy Winston, and not a Northern style English ale, but I'm holding out that it'll be tasty nonetheless.

 

20180606_153825.jpg

20180606_161023.jpg

20180606_153739.jpg

20180606_172941.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Man, I have a few busy weeks and I'm getting left in the dust here! I was thinking about making some kinda horchata milk stout out of it. Def with cinnamon and lactose sugar. Maybe real rice milk? I haven't had time to give it the thought it deserves but I definitely intend to match the effort I'm seeing here

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well my Nottingham yeast has kicked into high Krausen on my Wee Heavy Winston, and always glad to see that. Who knows maybe it will get great attenuation and be a Wee Heavy instead of a Wee!

However it was really bugging me that I had to deviate from my recipe so I exercised my right as a consumer and ordered more grains including Victory, another Churchill, more Crystal 60, and while I was at it another CAL and American Ale for my Pale Ale with Mosaic that turned out so great for a easy drinking summer brew with a bit of ABV kick to it.

Lol, also added a can of those Raspberries thinking that a raspberry stout may be in the works.

 

I'm for sure going to have a second entry into the Churchill's challenge, @Bonsai & Brew . I got a few pounds of Golden Promise 2-row and will use part of it for an Irish red ale, but thinking i will use some for a Churchill recipe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

I bottled "Chartwell's" this morning at FG 1.013 and 9.0% ABV.  Now, hands-off till Christmas morning...

Nice!! You are a way more patient man than I!

 

I should be bottling Wee Heavy Winston on the 28th. Lol, depending on gravity it will likely be shortened to Wee Winston.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Cato said:

Nice!! You are a way more patient man than I!

 

I should be bottling Wee Heavy Winston on the 28th. Lol, depending on gravity it will likely be shortened to Wee Winston.

 

Little did I know it at the time, but after brewing Lock, Stock & Barrel Stout and then waiting 9 months to a year before enjoying it was definitely worth it.  Chartwell's has a similarly high OG, and with the amaretto/fig addition, it just seems like I should let this Old Ale get 'old' before tapping it.  Good luck with your Wee Heavy!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bottled Wee Heavy Winston- So named  early on by  @Bonsai & Brew , and my entry into his Churchill's Challenge.

 

Hydrometer sample was tasty, always a good sign.

 

My cobbled together recipe from checking out Northern English style ales, and Scotch Ales and marrying some bits of each.

 

1 can Churchill's HME

1 MB Robust LME

4 oz two-row Malt

4 oz. Vienna Malt

4 oz Crystal 60 Malt

.5 oz Roasted Barley

1/2 cup honey

1 oz Heather Tips

1 oz Willamete hops

1 packet of Danstar Nottingham Dry Ale yeast

OG-1.067

FG- 1.014

ABV- 6.9%

 

Mashed grains for 30 minutes at 160 F and sparged with 1 cup hot water.

Added LME and brought to boil and added .5 oz of Willamete for 15 min. and 1/2 cup of honey with 5 min. left in boil and then flameout.

Added Churchills HME and hopsack with .5 oz of Willamete and 1 oz of heather tips, then mixed with chilled spring water in LBK and pitched yeast at 74F.

Fermented for 18 days at 64F and cold crashed for 3 days.

 

Yield was 18 12 oz glass bottles and one 740ml PET.

 

Oh yeah, Got to try out my new bench capper. I like it. Easy to adjust and spring loaded with a positive stop when the cap is completely crimped.

20180628_114908.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay, I'll be brewing my entry on my Twitch stream tomorrow, here's a sneak peek at the recipe:

 

Horchata Brown Ale

 

1X Churchills HME
1X Golden LME
2 oz Cara wheat malt
2 oz Vienna malt
4 oz lactose sugar
S-04 Dry Ale Yeast

 

1 week before bottling:

 

1 cinnamon stick
2 tbsp vanilla extract

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, MRB Tim said:

Okay, I'll be brewing my entry on my Twitch stream tomorrow, here's a sneak peek at the recipe:

 

Horchata Brown Ale

 

1X Churchills HME
1X Golden LME
4 oz Cara wheat malt
2 oz Vienna malt
4 oz lactose sugar
S-04 Dry Ale Yeast

 

1 week before bottling:

 

1 cinnamon stick
2 tbsp vanilla extract

Cool, I'll try and tune in to see that! Looks to be an interesting recipe! Lol, I'm totally ignorant of what Horchata means, so Google here I come.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MRB Tim said:

Okay, I'll be brewing my entry on my Twitch stream tomorrow, here's a sneak peek at the recipe:

 

Horchata Brown Ale

 

1X Churchills HME
1X Golden LME
4 oz Cara wheat malt
2 oz Vienna malt
4 oz lactose sugar
S-04 Dry Ale Yeast

 

1 week before bottling:

 

1 cinnamon stick
2 tbsp vanilla extract

 

Did someone say dessert?  Nice!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Cato said:

Lol, I'm totally ignorant of what Horchata means, so Google here I come.

 

For the lazy: Horchata is a Mexican soft drink (of a variety called aguas frescas). It's sweetened rice milk with vanilla and cinnamon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MRB Tim said:

 

For the lazy: Horchata is a Mexican soft drink (of a variety called aguas frescas). It's sweetened rice milk with vanilla and cinnamon.

 Google it last night and also found some links to various recipes for Horchata beer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Happiness is- Wee Heavy Winston

This turned out very well. I've never had a Scotch Ale nor a Northern English Ale and this was a bit of both styles combined with an added kick to cross into the wee heavy territory.

I feel like its probably a very tasty, balanced stout. Not near as rich and complex as the Calavera Stout.

This was the sample trub bottle 15 days after bottling . If it doesn't improve with conditioning, I'd be well pleased with this brew as it stands today.

I got lucky with this recipe, I know that, but it's still nice to have a success.

20180713_164226.jpg

20180713_164514.jpg

20180713_165108.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cato said:

Happiness is- Wee Heavy Winston

This turned out very well. I've never had a Scotch Ale nor a Northern English Ale and this was a bit of both styles combined with an added kick to cross into the wee heavy territory.

I feel like its probably a very tasty, balanced stout. Not near as rich and complex as the Calavera Stout.

This was the sample trub bottle 15 days after bottling . If it doesn't improve with conditioning, I'd be well pleased with this brew as it stands today.

I got lucky with this recipe, I know that, but it's still nice to have a success.

20180713_164226.jpg

20180713_164514.jpg

20180713_165108.jpg

 

Nice job!🍻

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×