Mr.Beer Community

11 hours ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

Look what @Cato started -- I'm drinking my trub bottle of 9% ABV Chartwell's! :)

image.jpeg

Nice! I was excited to try mine, and wanted to before I left for vacation. I don't like leaving the trub bottles in the conditioning containers for more than a few weeks since they seem to carbonate very quickly.

So, how was it? A lot of mine usually still taste green, but some surprise me at how good they are at that stage.

10 hours ago, Cato said:

Nice! I was excited to try mine, and wanted to before I left for vacation. I don't like leaving the trub bottles in the conditioning containers for more than a few weeks since they seem to carbonate very quickly.

So, how was it? A lot of mine usually still taste green, but some surprise me at how good they are at that stage.

It tasted about what I expected after just a month of conditioning as the high ABV is overpowering the malt profile somewhat.  I like it though and it should develop nicely by Christmas.:)

On 7/16/2018 at 8:16 PM, Bonsai & Brew said:

With @Cato on vacation, I though I just as well drink the trub bottle of Rock & Rye Baltic Porter too.  This one is definitely a contender, haha.

Lol, Cato is back from a great vacation! Had some very good home brews that my brother in law brought. He uses Northern Brewer kits and they were quite tasty.

The Fams favs of mine were the Tangerously Hoppy, Witch's Flight, @Creeps McLanesaison, and yes finally a vote for my Wee Heavy Winston! 

Glad to be back home,lol, need to diet now for sure.

With several Churchill's in inventory, I'm taking a shot at a Belgian Dark Strong Ale:

Oxford Quad

Churchills Nut Brown Ale, 2.86 lb.

Weyermann Light Munich, 0.5 lb.

Weyermann Pilsner, 0.5 lb.

Mr. Beer Booster, 0.78 lb.

Weyermann Melanoidin, 0.2 lb.

Weyermann CaraBelge, 0.2 lb.

Chateau Special B, 0.2 lb.

Fuggle, 0.5 oz., 4.9% AA, 20 min.

SafAle BE-256 Belgian Ale yeast

Vanilla extract, 0.75 tsp. added following primary fermentation

OG was 1.072

7 hours ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

With several Churchill's in inventory, I'm taking a shot at a Belgian Dark Strong Ale:

Oxford Quad

Churchills Nut Brown Ale, 2.86 lb.

Weyermann Light Munich, 0.5 lb.

Weyermann Pilsner, 0.5 lb.

Mr. Beer Booster, 0.78 lb.

Weyermann Melanoidin, 0.2 lb.

Weyermann CaraBelge, 0.2 lb.

Chateau Special B, 0.2 lb.

Fuggle, 0.5 oz., 4.9% AA, 20 min.

SafAle BE-256 Belgian Ale yeast

Vanilla extract, 0.75 tsp. added following primary fermentation

OG was 1.072

That'll be a tasty one!

I have a couple cans left as well.

5 hours ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

I hope so!  It will be interesting to see how 2 packs of booster fill in for Candi sugar in this recipe

Lol, I spotted that in your recipe, and just recently got some D-90 Candi syrup to have on hand when the mood strikes for a dark Belgian.

Just now, Cato said:

Lol, I spotted that in your recipe, and just recently got some D-90 Candi syrup to have on hand when the mood strikes for a dark Belgian.

Yesterday's impromptu brew session was just for fun as I was missing several key ingredients (Candi sugar, Saaz, and Styrian Goldings to name a few).   I finally had to make a trip to the LHBS because I did not even have any Belgian yeast on hand!  I'm sure there's a lesson to be learned here but that would take the fun out of it.:D