Mr.Beer Community
robo1

Bottled Weissbeer - Lots of sediment in bottles...thoughts?

Ok, so this was my first wheat beer (brewed with deluxe Weissbeer refill), and I added tangerine zest/tincture to the fermenter one week before bottling.  Once fermented, it looked and tasted great.  The bottles have been carb/conditioning for about 3.5 weeks.  I pulled a bottle out to see what they looked like last night, and the bottles have a crazy amount of sediment on the bottom and the beer is clearish (doesn't look like a wheat beer).  It's like the beer cold-crashed itself, even though it has been at a steady 69 degrees for carbing/conditioning. 

So, is this normal?  should I swirl the bottles before pouring (which would make the beer look like a traditional wheat), or allow the sediment to rest (keeping the beer clear).

I do know that some of this is the tangerine zest, but this amount of sediment is much more than that.  Help?

10 hours ago, robo1 said:

Ok, so this was my first wheat beer (brewed with deluxe Weissbeer refill), and I added tangerine zest/tincture to the fermenter one week before bottling.  Once fermented, it looked and tasted great.  The bottles have been carb/conditioning for about 3.5 weeks.  I pulled a bottle out to see what they looked like last night, and the bottles have a crazy amount of sediment on the bottom and the beer is clearish (doesn't look like a wheat beer).  It's like the beer cold-crashed itself, even though it has been at a steady 69 degrees for carbing/conditioning. 

So, is this normal?  should I swirl the bottles before pouring (which would make the beer look like a traditional wheat), or allow the sediment to rest (keeping the beer clear).

I do know that some of this is the tangerine zest, but this amount of sediment is much more than that.  Help?

Show us a pic. How much sediment are we talking?

4 minutes ago, robo1 said:

Sorry I’m home now. Here is a picture of the bottle in front of a light. Makes it super easy to see what I’m talking about. 

C25FBFF2-1D9C-489A-A299-5CF0D2550C70.jpeg

That’s not a lot at all! I thought it was gonna be like 1/4 of the bottle. I still wouldn’t swirl it to get it into suspension. Unless you’re nursing an infant or having troubles going #2. 

Just now, Creeps McLane said:

That’s not a lot at all! I thought it was gonna be like 1/4 of the bottle. I still wouldn’t swirl it to get it into suspension. Unless you’re nursing an infant or having troubles going #2. 

Hahaha. Ok cool. This is my first Wheat beer and compared to the amount of sediment in my other brews I’ve made, this is A LOT. 

I really appreciate this forum and all you guys helping a noob like me!