Mr.Beer Community
DrMJG

Really odd question

Ok, maybe I SHOULD have labeled them better but... I am getting organized for a brewing blitz in the next months or so.  I am, at the end of the summer or early fall, planning on making my successful Doppelbock.  Last time I used the Oxygen PET bottles, as lager time is at least 6mos.  I plan on using them again.  HOWEVER, they got mixed in with my other PET bottles and now I cannot tell one from the other.  I am sure there must be a quick way to cull the herd, so to speak.   Any suggestions?  I told you this is an odd question.  I do have time to figure this out so I do not need an answer tonight.  

Feel free to use sarcasm, humor et. al. in your answer.  I just want to know how to do it!

1c12d19c6a2017b6ea291575_1220x642.png

I called mrb customer service a few weeks ago asking the same question. They said you can’t tell them apart. I find that surprising. Mine are all mixed up too. 

That was a B.S. answer from customer service. Hold them up to the light. The oxygen barrier bottles are darker. I have labels on mine and I just held my Oktoberfest kit bottle up against my oxygen barrier Bewitched Amber. Thicker bottle shows darker. Particularly around the base area.

12 minutes ago, Nickfixit said:

The answer is you just use them all, if when you open one, the beer tastes off, chug it quickly and try another.

Eventually you will find one you consider good enough - then mark the bottle with a marker.

Silver sharpie is good.

I guarantee that no one on this forum, or anywhere else for that matter, is going to be able to pick out oxygen barrier bottles based on taste.

23 minutes ago, RickBeer said:

I guarantee that no one on this forum, or anywhere else for that matter, is going to be able to pick out oxygen barrier bottles based on taste.

For the most part I prefer glass, but find the PETS great for squeeze checking carbonation progress. So far I haven't brewed any of those high gravity 5-8 mo. conditioning beers that MB promotes the oxygen barrier bottles as being good for.

My Doppelbock was a combination of an MB recipe with a little kitchen chemistry of my own.  When I prepare the next batch for next Lenten season, I want to try to duplicate is much as possible. I knew that my friends on this forum would come up with bigly effect answers!

file-20180312-30983-1pkwh26.jpg

I've been working for the past year cleaning out my inventory, which was large because my youngest was consuming it with us until last March.  Anyway, I've been drinking beers as old as two years, including many in PET bottles, none in oxygen barrier anything, and it all tastes just fine.

Remember, TASTE has at least 5 basic qualities:

Sweet

Sour

Salty

Bitter

Savory

Taste is done b your mouth, and nose, and your BRAIN.  If you look at a strawberry, your brain processes an expectation for the flavor.  So, if you pick up a beer and read the label and see it's 2 years old, your brain is saying "it's going to taste oxidized", and that influences your perception.

Also, everyone's sense of taste is different, genetically, and some people are predisposed to certain things.