Mr.Beer Community
greyhound

Why the longer brew cycle?

I've been brewing with MrBeer for many years but am wondering why the instructions that used to call for 2/2/2+ weeks for the three stages now call for 3/3/3+? (actually, I have my original directions that came with the kit now in front of me which say for both fermentation and carbonation, "allow a minimum of 7 days" and for conditioning, "after your beer has carbonated it is ready to drink. However, to improve flavor of your beer even more, you may wish to condition it for weeks or even months").   So what if anything changed that has resulted in the longer recommended stages?

By the end of two weeks "fermentation" is complete as the old instructions state. However, yeast continue to clean up after themselves by clearing out components that would lend to off flavors. Three weeks is the ideal time in the fermenter for "optimum flavor" as the new instructions state. 

Also,depends on the styles.  I tend to brew lagers, so they are conditioned even longer.  And, my doppelbock conditions for over 6mos.  But, ever since the first beer I brewed here, I was told and can verify, all.owing a longer conditioning time makes the beer much better.

e2e142f83b70b7776312d65173203d97.jpg