Mr.Beer Community

Hi all, I have just bottled a batch of Diablo IPA after 3 weeks fermentation and 3 days cold crashing.  I gave it taste test right before bottling and to be honest I didn't care much for the taste.  I don't think it is an off flavor or that I did anything wrong, I just don't think it is my favorite.  I know conditioning will "enhance/change" the flavor some but how dramatic of a change can I expect?  The reason I ask is because I won't let beer go to waste but I am hoping after conditioning I might actually like it at least a little bit.

With some styles, I have a difficult time judging the final conditioned beer. Some I have actually given thought to who I could give it to. After conditioning, I have second thoughts about giving any away.

4 minutes ago, epete28 said:

Have you had IPAs in the past that you liked? That style certainly isn't for everyone. I love it myself, but many don't.

And there's a good bit of variety within the style itself; fruity, bitter, not bitter, etc.  

15 hours ago, epete28 said:

Have you had IPAs in the past that you liked? That style certainly isn't for everyone. I love it myself, but many don't.

Yes there are several local IPA's that I like.  Also there is one by Sierra Neveda that I like as well.

Wait it out - it will mellow & the flavors will improve with time  (at least that was my experience making a recipe using Diablo HME). I really like IPAs, so I decided to make this as batch #5. I  bottled Brew De Ale Ze Bub mid-May, the sample was super bitter & with some apple notes.  I was not sure I'd like the end product. So I tried a few after they  carbed in about 3 wks - needed more time. There was some vegetal aftertaste I couldn't quite distinguish. After another 2-3 wks  bottle conditioning, chillin' in fridge for days, I tried another one last week. I wish I had waited longer on the others because it tasted really good! Such an improvement. Sadly I only have 2 left. Gave one to my brother weeks ago & he still hasn't tried it. I know because  I put a Hefeweizen in his fridge to try this weekend & saw Diablo still sitting there, tempting me. If he doesn't drink it soon,  I'm going to sneak over to his house & steal it back!

never judge a beer by the bottling sample. at bottling you still have tons of yeast in suspension. flavors have not melded fully. aging beer causes the flavors to round out.. mellow. it allows the beer to carb, and then for the tired yeast to settle down to the bottom in the bottle trub layer.  if after you condition you just dont like aggressively hopped beer, pop them all back in cold storage for a few more months. as beers age, hops start to soften in flavor presence. malts start to come forward a bit more.  at least in my experience....