Mr.Beer Community

I am getting together any suggestions I can about making an Eisbock.  Everything I read says to make a good Doppelbock to begin with and go from there.  I have gathered that the actual  technique for freezing the bock is as basic as it gets and that I will loose volume in the process.  As further conditioning is needed, I will have to draw up my patience until it is time to enjoy.  Has anyone made this using MB materials?  Hoping to celebrate the start of the new year with this one.  I have had some in my jaded past and can't wait to try the process.

23926546_839769664828_23403864672522192_o.jpg

The freezing concentrates both the taste and the ABV.  Everything is more intense. As with its cousin, Eiswein, the intensity means it is served in smaller units.  This is definitely what I call a stay at home brew, especially if you have more than one.  ABV is able to easily top 10% and some add another 4%.  The final number is a bit of a crapshoot.

imageproxy.php.jpeg

2 hours ago, D Kristof said:

In Germany, from my experiences, Eis' is generally served with meals. Typically a meal with robust flavors.

Indeed that is true. Often had it with roast goose or Sauerbratten

I missed out on this when I was in Germany (and I spent a total of nine years there).  Where were y'all when you had it?  I spent most of my time in the states of Rheinland-Palatinate, Saarland, Hesse, and Bavaria, and never had one.  Man, I had my share of Eiswein, though!  :)

I had it in both Bavaria and in Salzburg Austria.  Though not too often as it is both a winter brew AND expensive!  was introduced to it by a landlord who was also the Braumeister at a small local brewery near Kulmbach, where the style originated.