Mr.Beer Community
greyhound

Plastic bottles bulging

I know this has been discussed before but I don't know if anything has been done to improve the design so that the bottoms of the 16oz bottles don't bulge and deform during carbonation.  I today am discarding several due to this.  So my second question is, are they recyclable?  I couldn't see any symbol to suggest they are.

they are probably type 1 PET food grade plastic which would be recyclable. i just looked at what they sell..that is correct.

bulging bottles = too much carb for the bottle. watch how much sugar you prime with. alternatively, check your bottles as they carb. if you see them starting to distort, bleed off some co2 by slowly opening the cap just a pinch.

If I can be blunt, this is not a product design deficiency.

This is a process deficiency. ON YOUR PART.

You either bottled before fermentation was finished or you added more sugar than was necessary to carbonate the beer.

If you want the bottles to stop bulging, you need to stop over carbonating. It's that simple.

it's a simple enough error and easily correctable. one we are have been guilty of probably at one time or another.

1. buy a hydrometer. take your gravity reading at Start of fermentation. (for those who like math,  (SG - FG) *  135 = alcohol by volume.

2. allow fermentation to go for about 2.5 to 3 weeks.

as you near the 3rd week's completion take a Final gravity reading.  if it's anywhere close to 1.01 odds are really good it's done. if you added lactose it will be slightly higher.

if your reading comes back like 1.03 or higher? odds are good it aint done... or your yeast pooped out.

when i first started i didnt have a hydrometer. the guide that was told to me is in MOST cases, letting it sit for 3 weeks in optimal conditions will almost guarantee your fermentation is finished.

3. use a priming sugar calculator.  or..  a 16oz bottle is .125 gallons. i plugged in current beer temp of 68f, and a desired co2 volume of 2 units. (whatever they measure it by). it said that 2 oz of table sugar per bottle would be sufficient.  if you get a box of Domino Dots sugar cubes, and read the label.. it says they have 2.0 grams of sucrose per cube. drop a single cube in each 16oz bottle and voila!  easy peezy.  1 liter is just slight more beer than 16 oz so if you use the bigger bottle just add 2 cubes. your beer will have a modest but close enough volume of co2 to match most styles.

some yeast are over achievers. saison yeast is known to chew through nearly every bit of sugar in the wort. it does so usually in a calm fashion so if doing a saison, you would let the temperature rise in your fermenter in the last week to encourage it to finish. your final gravity reading might be 1.005 !  bottle too soon and BOOM! know your yeast.  i usually move my fermenter at the start of week 3 to the kitchen table where i bottle. letting it sit in a warmer area also helps encourage the yeast to clean up any byproducts they made during the ferment. giving it that extra week also allows any crud that falls into the beer form the dried krausen to settle out.

so there ya go. see? easy fix. not a fault of mr beer bottles usually. good luck.

Thanks for the replies.  I believe for me it all boils not allowing enough fermentation time.  My bottle bulge problem occurred during the time I was following the early 1 -2 week MrBeer recommendation.  Now it's 3 week min recommendation.  I don't believe I was adding too much sugar as I measured it carefully for each bottle according to the size I was using.  I have recently questioned if sugar QUALITY might have been a factor.  My wife pointed out that she doesn't always buy Domino which I didn't know and perhaps store brands are not as good.  I have a hydrometer but hate fussing with it.  May have to reconsider.  

7 minutes ago, greyhound said:

Thanks for the replies.  I believe for me it all boils not allowing enough fermentation time.  My bottle bulge problem occurred during the time I was following the early 1 -2 week MrBeer recommendation.  Now it's 3 week min recommendation.  I don't believe I was adding too much sugar as I measured it carefully for each bottle according to the size I was using.  I have recently questioned if sugar QUALITY might have been a factor.  My wife pointed out that she doesn't always buy Domino which I didn't know and perhaps store brands are not as good.  I have a hydrometer but hate fussing with it.  May have to reconsider.  

Name brand, store brand, shouldn't mattter. Sugar is sugar. I believe Domino was mentioned because of the known sugar cube size.

domino dots are convenient because of the 2g sucrose.  for your average beer in a pint or 16oz btl 1 dot is sufficient.  generic cubes work too.. just read the label.

really.. super easy. . . and the 3 weeks is a great guide to follow. dont freak out if life happens and it sits an additional week. in good conditions yeast can go 4 but any more and youre pushing the risk of autolysis. 

i vaguely remember my first exposure to mr beer was this chinese looking guy on the box all happy with a beer glass ... telling ppl YOU CAN MAKE BEER IN JUST 10 DAYS!!!!! yeah. it will be beer but it will be crap because you didnt give the yeast a chance to clean up, finish, and for the beer to condition.  the early instructions caused more ppl to go 'Meh... ' and walk away from the hobby. the old guard here pointed this out to mr beer and they listened.

if your temps are too cold the yeast will slowly go to bed... you think 'oh! it must be done!' and bottle. the yeast wake up and BOOM!

you can make do without a hydrometer. . .

Well I seem to be in a "brewing slump" lately. My last few batches have not met my expectations for various reasons; drinkable but some not as good as expected.  I have been brewing with MrBeer for ~5 years now and have made >70 batches (nearly all different recipes) most of which were pretty decent.  Still have my original LBK which I though I would have rendered unusable way before now by dropping or other mishandling.  Also recently started using a 3 gallon FastFerment; not sure yet if I'll stick with it.  Has some advantages over LBK  but some disadvantages too.  I clean and sanitize meticulously and don't allow anything to contact the brew unsanitized.  Only use purchased bottled spring water.  

Anyway, I'm just venting.  And like any good baseball player in a slump, will continue swinging until I bat my way out of it.

Cheers.

24 minutes ago, greyhound said:

Well I seem to be in a "brewing slump" lately. My last few batches have not met my expectations for various reasons; drinkable but some not as good as expected.  I have been brewing with MrBeer for ~5 years now and have made >70 batches (nearly all different recipes) most of which were pretty decent.  Still have my original LBK which I though I would have rendered unusable way before now by dropping or other mishandling.  Also recently started using a 3 gallon FastFerment; not sure yet if I'll stick with it.  Has some advantages over LBK  but some disadvantages too.  I clean and sanitize meticulously and don't allow anything to contact the brew unsanitized.  Only use purchased bottled spring water.  

Anyway, I'm just venting.  And like any good baseball player in a slump, will continue swinging until I drink my way out of it.

Cheers.

Fixed it for you.  :)