Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Augman68

Is a wine fridge too cold to brew with brewmax 2Gal?

Just purchased the brewmax 2 gal and i can't seem to keep the temp constant at around 68-70 degrees F. I found a nice cheap wine fridge (I like the see through door to view the fermentation vs. the mini fridge) but it seems they only go to 66 degrees F. Is this too cold to brew, not only the Diablo IPA but anything else I wish to brew in the future? i'm guessing that at a lower temp it will take longer to ferment? 

Thanks,

Jeff.

66 is a good temperature for most recipes.  I do almost all of my ales at 65.

Three weeks in the fermenter is what you want.  Fermenting at 66 won't change that.

Welcome to the forum!

I like to brew at about 66 deg F too. Nice clean fermentation. Just keep them there the full three weeks. There are a few styles of beer where you want a slightly higher temperature, but most MB recipes do fine mid sixty.

@Augman68, I forgot to mention one thing that you should be aware of.  Many wine fridges are designed so that if they lose power, when it comes back on they automatically revert to their lowest setting (usually around 54F).  So if you're in an area that's prone to power outages you'll need to reset your temperature when the power comes back on.