Mr.Beer Community
Kevin Caffrey

One Gallon Glass Fermenter?

no, you still need the two gallon fermenters for those recipes.  These are good for making 1 gallon all-grain batches.  One thing you could do, though, is get two of them, make a regular recipe from Mr. Beer, and split it between the two fermenters.  Then you could experiment by dry hopping one with one type of hops, and the second with a different type of hops. 

1 hour ago, RickBeer said:

Just be aware that glass fermenters can break when dropped or explode if the airlock gets plugged up.  Most people have moved away from glass to plastic.

Agree there is a safety issue with glass but be aware that you need to be very careful cleaning plastic so as to not scratch it.  I personally still use glass for this reason. 

i still occasionally use 1 gallon glass jugs and my italian 2.5 gallon glass carboy. if co2 builds up it can shoot the rubber stopper out. the glass is super heavy / high quality. it does make cleaning and moving it a little hard when it is full.

glass is super easy to clean, doesnt scratch, easy to sanitize well.... i would personally not use a 5 gallon glass carboy though. way too heavy.

5 gallons of wort at 42 lbs...  10 lbs of glass probably ...   =   big chance of dropping it... and more aggravation to hernias.

Yep, I occasionally will use a 1G glass jug when I'm making a 1G batch of Beer. Works fine, I use a blowoff tube into a bottle of sanitizer for the first few days and then switch to an airlock. Of course using the 2G LBK alleviates that problem of needing a blowoff tube or an airlock.

the only wine i make now is hobo juice. no muss.. no fuss... about 18% abv.. and sometimes if i'm lucky it doesnt taste half bad on its own. my problem is i refuse to kill the yeast at a desired sweetness with chemicals and let them ferment it down to uber dry.  i wait for welches juice to go on sale bogo and load up. if i can score 5# bags of sugar on sale bogo too it's a good day.  3 gallons of juice (no preservatives)..  about 4 lbs sugar dissolved in juice over a low heat... add wine yeast. .. .a couple fist fulls of raisins and some sacrificial bread yeast.  tada. i go an extra step and rack off lees after week two onto frozen fruit and give it another week or two.  bottle... rinse the fruit and reuse in a compote or something. no waste. (except the yeast).

i like to mix the hobo juice with 1/3 part cola or lime soda to add a little sweet back into it, and fizz. i found adding pepsi gives it an almost cabernet quality... a capricious little ****** of a wine with oak undertones and hints of currant, leather, and black raspberry.... with an elderberry nose and ... lol. i can picture hobos sitting around a 55 gallon metal drum fire sipping this , pinkies in air and commenting on hobo juice like wine snobs.  'a most excellent vintage!... tuesday!'