Mr.Beer Community
TBONE 69

Stick on Thermometer

I know this is an old thread, and I hope the OP is no longer confused, so.......

Mr Beer, why don't these little 3-position thermometers NOT come with the LBK any more? I just received a new LBK and no thermometer. No big deal, just wondering.

IMG_1938..JPG

$10 aquarium thermometer?  Sorry, but for the money, I have this

https://www.walmart.com/ip/LCD-IR-Infrared-Temperature-Gun-Graden-Contact-Thermometer-50-330-58-626/124410397?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=12117&adid=22222222227162835839&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=277803106526&wl4=pla-463341585048&wl5=9014253&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=117089218&wl11=online&wl12=124410397&wl13=&veh=sem

you can take multiple shots of any LBK or other fermenter, plus shoot at windows, doors, and refrigerators to check for cold air leaks.  And check the temp of grains you are cooking or the boil temp of your hops.

29 minutes ago, Nickfixit said:

Better to get a $10 aquarium digital thermometer and tape it on, then you get actual degrees.

Nickfixit thanks. I'm fixing to order a couple stick-ons from MRB, but what I really like are those in the pictures earlier in this thread. They show ranges of temperatures for types of beer. Like one bracketed range for lager, one for ale, etc.

13 minutes ago, StretchNM said:

MiniYoda, say you are pointing that infrared gun at a glass jug. Does it need to be at approx. 90 degree angle to avoid refraction or can you do it with accuracy at any angle?

No, I have the 6 gallon Mr Beer fermenter that is plastic. As for pointing it to a glass window for temp loss check,  haven't tried it, but I would vote a low an angle as possible 

On ‎3‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 7:36 PM, MiniYoda said:

$10 aquarium thermometer?  Sorry, but for the money, I have this

https://www.walmart.com/ip/LCD-IR-Infrared-Temperature-Gun-Graden-Contact-Thermometer-50-330-58-626/124410397?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=12117&adid=22222222227162835839&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=277803106526&wl4=pla-463341585048&wl5=9014253&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=117089218&wl11=online&wl12=124410397&wl13=&veh=sem

you can take multiple shots of any LBK or other fermenter, plus shoot at windows, doors, and refrigerators to check for cold air leaks.  And check the temp of grains you are cooking or the boil temp of your hops.

I have used ones like this at work, but $11.99? That is a REAL bargain. Maybe I will get one 😄

No wait - $10.99 and FREE ship[ping!

23 hours ago, Nickfixit said:

I have used ones like this at work, but $11.99? That is a REAL bargain. Maybe I will get one 😄

No wait - $10.99 and FREE ship[ping!

https://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-Lasergrip-774-Non-contact-Thermometer/dp/B00837ZGRY/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=Non-contact+Digital+Laser+Infrared+Thermometer&qid=1553938702&s=gateway&sr=8-3

This is the one I use, works great, and very accurate.  It makes no sense to use anything else.  I use it exactly how @MiniYoda uses it.  Double checked accuracy with a digital meat thermometer probe for grain mash temp, and it's spot on.   When checked against an old dial type I see used here, the dial type thermometer was 20 degrees off.

On ‎4‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 8:14 AM, RickBeer said:

Mr. Beer sells stick on thermometers (not that useless sticker) for $1.95.  $10 one must be made of gold.

$10 aquarium or "ray gun"  thermometer is battery operated with digital readout. But it may not be more accurate, it just implies that it is 😎

I did have the $1.95 (now on sale for $1.45!!) stick on one but the readability faded on me.

I recently got a package from Rite Brew and one from Mr Beer. Among other things, both contained thermometers. I now have 6. :blink:

The Rite Brews were 1.99 but the nice thing about them is they are 8" and like the thermometers above that show the bracketed temperature ranges for each beer style. I wouldn't think many in here need those, but they're good for me so I can learn those particular basics.

THermometers.JPG

The MRB thermometers are 4" but contain everything I need. So since I needed items from both, I went ahead and ordered both.

2 hours ago, StretchNM said:

I recently got a package from Rite Brew and one from Mr Beer. Among other things, both contained thermometers. I now have 6. :blink:

The Rite Brews were 1.99 but the nice thing about them is they are 8" and like the thermometers above that show the bracketed temperature ranges for each beer style. I wouldn't think many in here need those, but they're good for me so I can learn those particular basics.

THermometers.JPG

The MRB thermometers are 4" but contain everything I need. So since I needed items from both, I went ahead and ordered both.

Rite brew is the shiznit. I love that place so much.