Mr.Beer Community
epete28

Going With Less Sugar

I use 16 oz bottles 90% of the time, and I always go with one teaspoon of sugar. I really dont have an issue with that amount of carbonation, but so many of you seem like it less carbed, so I decided to give it a shot. I've bottled a batch with 3/4 of a teaspoon. We'll see how I like it in about a month, lol.

I find the MB recommended amount of sugar produces too much carbonation. 3/4 will give you more than enough carbonation. For darker, more malty beers I use even less, as a matter of personal taste. But you already know, the entire hobby is about learning to make beers that you like, not just a recipe.

6 hours ago, epete28 said:

I use 16 oz bottles 90% of the time, and I always go with one teaspoon of sugar. I really dont have an issue with that amount of carbonation, but so many of you seem like it less carbed, so I decided to give it a shot. I've bottled a batch with 3/4 of a teaspoon. We'll see how I like it in about a month, lol.

If I cold crash or bottle at 3 weeks I use 3/4 teaspoons. If I don't or bottle at 2 1/2 weeks I get the same carbonation with 1/2 tsp. Screwybrewer has a carbonation guide using temperature and type of carbonation sugar.

On 8/18/2018 at 3:12 PM, epete28 said:

Yup, a little less than a teaspoon seems to work best for me.

Kevin

1 hour ago, Palmetto Brew said:

I like the extra carbonation my self so I use one carb drop that came with my recipe per 12 oz. bottle.  Turns out just how I like it.

I dont dislike it, but with one full teaspoon there's no room for era it seems. I've had many bottles get "stretched" during conditioning, and one just plain exploded. Now that one I believe fermentation was stuck, but still.

2 hours ago, Palmetto Brew said:

I'm no expert I have only brewed five batches of beer so far but I use glass bottles and cap them and have not had any issues yet.  Keep your fingers crossed!

I've probably made 30 batches, or close to it, and I'm scared to graduate to glass. Lol, maybe someday.

i use mostly 12 oz glass. i feel like i get a better seal with the caps. i had an instance in january of a bad batch of 740ml PET bottles that leaked gas or i didnt get the lids tight enough.....anyways i just like glass with one domino dot per.

12 hours ago, Jdub said:

i use mostly 12 oz glass. i feel like i get a better seal with the caps. i had an instance in january of a bad batch of 740ml PET bottles that leaked gas or i didnt get the lids tight enough.....anyways i just like glass with one domino dot per.

That's all it took for me to jump to almost all glass. I use a combination of bottles with every batch now. I use 2 PET bottles, glass, and 2 small pop bottles with every batch. I use the PET to judge how the glass bottles may be carbonating. The empty pop bottles are my trub bottles. IMHO, if you aren't batch priming, Domino Dots are definitely the way to go. Last month when my trub bottles hardened within a couple hours of bottling I got extremely scared. Twas  my first wheat beer and the FG was stable and where I expected it to be. I vented the trub bottles and VERY closely watched the 2 PET's. Turned out to be a false alarm, but I am glad I had the plastic to judge by.

Yeah, I use a bottle mix too. I use 3x 1L PET, 2x 12 oz glass and the rest .75L or .5L PET.(mostly .75L as I cannot see into the .5's to see the level.)

dots - 3/1L, 2 per .75 , 1 per .5 or 12 oz except for dark beers then .5 dot per 12 oz, 2 per 1L and 1 for others.

I have had PET stretched one time but I fixed it with really hot water.

With PET too if you find it is getting too tight you can burp or pffft them to let some of the gas out. Not scientific but it works.