Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
76shovel

long time user, first time erruption

Morning,

Been at this a couple years, generally sticking to the published recipes.  Maybe a couple failures but I find something to like about in every batch.  I've kept to doing my bigger beers in a the upright 2 gallon fermenter however that fermenter is tied up with American Burleywine.

Home alone unsupervised yesterday I found the ingredients were all here for Double Black Diamond so I went for it in an LBK. I also added a Robust LME. Stuck the fermenter in my dorm type fridge at 64F about 20 hours ago.  Got a mess this morning, first time that ever happened. Real glad fermentation happens in the cellar. 🤣  Cracked the lid slightly and a lot of pressure escaped, good thing I decided to go check on it.

Mark

• 2 Cans St. Patrick's Irish Stout Brewing Extract
  • 2 Packets Dry Brewing Yeast (under lids of Brewing Extracts)
  • 1 Packet Safale S-04 Dry Ale Yeast
  • 1 Packet Palisades Hop Pellets (1/2 oz)
  • 1 Muslin Hop Sack
  • 1 Packet No-Rinse Cleanser

1 hour ago, 76shovel said:

Morning,

Been at this a couple years, generally sticking to the published recipes.  Maybe a couple failures but I find something to like about in every batch.  I've kept to doing my bigger beers in a the upright 2 gallon fermenter however that fermenter is tied up with American Burleywine.

Home alone unsupervised yesterday I found the ingredients were all here for Double Black Diamond so I went for it in an LBK. I also added a Robust LME. Stuck the fermenter in my dorm type fridge at 64F about 20 hours ago.  Got a mess this morning, first time that ever happened. Real glad fermentation happens in the cellar. 🤣  Cracked the lid slightly and a lot of pressure escaped, good thing I decided to go check on it.

Mark

• 2 Cans St. Patrick's Irish Stout Brewing Extract
  • 2 Packets Dry Brewing Yeast (under lids of Brewing Extracts)
  • 1 Packet Safale S-04 Dry Ale Yeast
  • 1 Packet Palisades Hop Pellets (1/2 oz)
  • 1 Muslin Hop Sack
  • 1 Packet No-Rinse Cleanser

That is a lot of extract for an LBK.  Also, yeast are live creatures that have a mind of their own.  I have done the same recipe and had times where there is hardly any krausen and others where I have to have a blow off tube.  Just the nature of yeast.

4 hours ago, BDawg62 said:

That is a lot of extract for an LBK.  Also, yeast are live creatures that have a mind of their own.  I have done the same recipe and had times where there is hardly any krausen and others where I have to have a blow off tube.  Just the nature of yeast.

What BDawg said.

Good thing you had it in the fridge. Eruption would have been worse with higher temperatures. Good thing you checked on it. If you haven't already, be sure to wipe the threaded parts of the LBK and lid with a towel soaked in sanitizer. Wouldn't want clogged vents to cause you a problem.

37 minutes ago, D Kristof said:

Good thing you had it in the fridge. Eruption would have been worse with higher temperatures. Good thing you checked on it. If you haven't already, be sure to wipe the threaded parts of the LBK and lid with a towel soaked in sanitizer. Wouldn't want clogged vents to cause you a problem.

Will do, 8 hours since I posted, still foaming over.

9 hours ago, RickBeer said:

If it's foaming out the lid vents, there is nothing to wipe except on the outside.  Don't open the lid just to wipe it.

As stated, that's a lot of malt for 2.13 gallons of beer.

Yeah there's no denying it's a self inflicted event. To compound the issue I shoot for 2.25 gallons in order to fill (12) 740ml bottles.

This afternoon the flood seems to have receded. I just need to do another clean up.