Mr.Beer Community
epete28

Old Sanitizer

When I bottle a batch I usually pour the sanitizer from all the bottles into one of my LBKs and I just leave it until I need the fermenter again. I usually make up fresh sanitizer before I brew again, but just curious, could I just go with that used sanitizer if the LBK hasn't been opened at all?

I was intrigued with your question @epete28 . I started searching the forum and found some info that seemed sound. The no rinse cleanser is oxygen based. Sounds like the solution is activated when mixed with water and I would assume at some point in the near future ( day or two maybe) the reaction finishes. Now if you choose Starsan the reaction starts upon contact with an unsanitized surface. Starsan lasts for weeks because of this. I would use no rinse cleanser for 1 brewing session only.

I would not reuse that sanitizer left in the LBK for anything else except maybe immediately,  but I see no problem leaving it in there until you use the LBK.

I would expect that after sanitizing bottles it still had enough action to sterilize the LBK but I suppose it could become unsterilized again once the cleaner was inactive in time and it had breathed some microbes in through the lid breathing holes.

I use Mr. B cleaner 1/2 pct. for LBK and 1/2 pct. for rinsing bottles before filling. In between I seal the 1/2 pack with scotch tape.

I toss the sanitizer after cleaning LBK and bottles for 10 min. 

Same when using OneStep which I use as an alternate when I am out of the Mr B. packets

On 8/26/2018 at 7:31 PM, RickBeer said:

You should not leave it in the LBK, it does no good.

It can be saved for a week, in a sealed container (which an LBK isn't), in a refrigerator.  Let it warm to room temp before using.

My wife just asked me this same question, about sanitizer shelf-life.  Yesterday, I mixed a small batch of it to sanitize my spatula to spread the pumpkin puree for the Pumpkin Rising recipe.  Afterwards, she saved it for her wine-making process which she is doing concurrently.  She has it now in the refrigerator.  I guess I can tell her it's probably good for up to a week.

Use 1 packet per batch. Half a packet at brewing time and half a packet at bottling time. Each HME comes with a packet , so I'm really not sure why you would ever have to reuse it or store equipment filled with it.

It happens that you get extra sanitizer, for instance: when combining extracts for a recipe.  Eventually, you'll have extra packets, which is a good thing, imo.  I already have a couple and have only made 5 batches of beer.  I also bought extra sanitizer which I keep in a clean jar - for when I don't need a whole half packet.  But, I also see no reason to store the LBK with sanitizer in it.  Better to 'store' it with wort fermenting in it instead!!