Mr.Beer Community
broxys

Long Play Session IPA Slow Start

Just a quick question.  I started a batch of Long Play Session IPA on 8/27, it has been 48 hours and just now started noticing a few bubbles rising to the top of the brew keg.  Does this seem normal?  The dates were good on the yeast and mix.  How long should I wait before I add more yeast?

14 minutes ago, broxys said:

Just a quick question.  I started a batch of Long Play Session IPA on 8/27, it has been 48 hours and just now started noticing a few bubbles rising to the top of the brew keg.  Does this seem normal?  The dates were good on the yeast and mix.  How long should I wait before I add more yeast?

First off, welcome to the forum.

Take a look at the bottom of the LBK (from the outside, of course.  🙂)  Is there a thin layer of sediment there (known as "trub")?  If so, your yeast are happily chugging away.  I don't know how many batches you have under your belt, but yeast - being living creatures - can be unpredictable at times.  Sometimes there's a raging froth of krausen, sometimes there's so little activity you start to wonder "Did I forget to pitch the yeast?"  But trub doesn't lie.

Thanks for the quick reply!  Yes, that sediment was there when I checked yesterday, but only noticed bubbles rising today.  I made quite a few batches of Mr Beer a few years ago and decided to give it another try.

59 minutes ago, broxys said:

Thanks for the quick reply!  Yes, that sediment was there when I checked yesterday, but only noticed bubbles rising today.  I made quite a few batches of Mr Beer a few years ago and decided to give it another try.

Well, welcome back to the hobby!  Mr. Beer has come a long way over the last few years.  I also took a break, then started back up two years ago.  The recipes available now - especially the partial mash ones - allow you to make some damned good brews.

5 hours ago, broxys said:

what @Shrike said....i wouldn't pitch any more yeast. Also the wort temp may have something to do with it. colder the fermentation room/cooler/fridge the slower possibly. good luck!