Mr.Beer Community
Nickfixit

Guiness Irish Wheat Clone

So far, so good. Last Saturday, I made a starter of wheat DME 1.029 OG. Pitched the washed dregs from 6 Guinness Irish Wheat bottles. I definitely smells like the Guinness Irish Wheat they were sleeping in.

Tomorrow I am going to pitch into another starter with OG of 1.040 

1538783652576.jpg

14 hours ago, D Kristof said:

So far, so good. Last Saturday, I made a starter of wheat DME 1.029 OG. Pitched the washed dregs from 6 Guinness Irish Wheat bottles. I definitely smells like the Guinness Irish Wheat they were sleeping in.

Tomorrow I am going to pitch into another starter with OG of 1.040 

1538783652576.jpg

I want some of that!!!! When you have enough. I can't find the beer in the store anymore.

18 minutes ago, Nickfixit said:

I want some of that!!!! When you have enough. I can't find the beer in the store anymore.

They carry it in our local Total Wine store for 8.99 six pack. You have those near you?

14 hours ago, Nickfixit said:

Thanks. I will keep looking for more locally too. There clams to be some within 10 miles.

2 oz DME in 1/2 pint looks about right. 1.021 OG.

I found some - 30 min drive away. Tastes good and I saved the yeast in the fridge.

Should I wait to get all 6 bottles emptied before I try it with malt? or make the malt up and keep adding the yeast as I drink them?

On Sunday, October 07, 2018 at 9:51 PM, Nickfixit said:

I found some - 30 min drive away. Tastes good and I saved the yeast in the fridge.

Should I wait to get alljaAs bles emptied before I try it with malt? or make the malt up and keep adding the yeast as I drink them?

Thus is how I did mine. I poured a couple ounces of distilled water into each bottle and recapped them and set the back in the fridge. When I had 4 bottles I poured them into a sanitized canning jar and kept it in the fridge. As I finshed the six pack I added the distilled water and added to the quart canning jar. The yeast settled and I poured off most of the beer tainted distilled water a couple times and replaced it with fresh. After that I again dumped the liquid above before pitching into the quart jar of refrigerated starter wort. After pitching I moved it into the dorm fridge where I have a cider fermenting. I keep the lid loose to let the CO2 escape. So far it seems to be working.

You're wasting your time. At least, you're wasting your time if you're trying to use the Guinness yeast. If you're trying to brew a wild yeast beer, you're fine.

Any fermentation you're getting in the starters is from wild yeast and bacteria in the air.

Guinness used to naturally ferment their beers, but they stopped doing that years ago, and they now pasteurize and force carbonate all of their beers. Any dregs you collect will have no viable yeast.

There are beers that are naturally carbonated, and I've successfully bottle harvested yeast before, but if you're trying to harvest from a pasteurized beer, you won't get any viable yeast.

So do they pasteurize and then just add "stuff" into the bottle for wheat beer effect - to make it look real?

The marvels of modern brewing...……….

I will say though D Kristof has a pretty good starter going for just a wild yeast float in. Seems hard to think that none of this came from the beer dregs.

Mine though is not doing anything like that yet. I put 1.020 fermentables on it and it is maybe a bit cool  - below 70.

I will leave it for a bit more before I give up though.

If I was a sensitive kind of guy my feelings would be hurt. Wild yeast? I think not. Guinness' yeast? Possible. Another commercially available yeast? Also possible and perhaps more likely. Still it smells like a bunch of over ripe bananas in my dorm fridge. I might pitch one of these jars into an LBK this weekend. The jar on the left was agitated.

1539307322130.jpg

So your earlier pic was after about a week? Does mine look active enough for 3 days?  I only made the malt 1.020  with wheat malt too, and the first couple of days were below 70.

Also bear in mind this is not super mass production it is from their pilotbrewery.

Wait? You have TWO jars of it?

1 hour ago, Nickfixit said:

So your earlier pic was after about a week? Does mine look active enough for 3 days?  I only made the malt 1.020  with wheat malt too, and the first couple of days were below 70.

Also bear in mind this is not super mass production it is from their pilotbrewery.

Wait? You have TWO jars of it?

I really aerated my starters. I sealed the jars and shook them for a minute. Yours looks like mine did, but you could try shaking that thing. At this stage there can't be too much oxygen.

Yeah, I had a quart of starter and didn't want an overflow so I pitched the yeast into the quart, shook it, then poured half into a second jar. You can see the high the krausen was in those jars.

Hmm, mine stopped activity so I measured the BRIX. 6.1 == 1.023 still.

So if it was fermenting it did not use much.

I am going to wash it and give it more malt and see if it does anything else.

Thanks for the shaking hint. I did shake a little but not much.

I will shake a lot next round.

I don't post here often anymore. I usually only post when I see somebody trying something that can be problematic. I think this qualifies.

I posted on this topic earlier. Rick also posted (earlier) with similar information. 

Nevertheless, you persisted. 

Please stop this.

You're not propagating yeast from your bottles. There was no viable yeast in those bottles. There are beers that are naturally carbonated and have the yeast they were brewed with in the bottles. There are also beers that are pasteurized after brewing and then naturally carbonated with a different yeast. This beer is not either of those.

If you want to try to brew a beer with the yeast from a naturally carbonated beer, it can be done. But to do it, you need to use a beer that is naturally carbonated. I've done it as a learning experience a couple of times, but when I did it, I always checked to make sure that the beer I was using was naturally carbonated with the yeast that was used to ferment it and that it was not a yeast that was otherwise readily available. Why bottle harvest a Chico strain (US-05, Wy056, WLP001), for example (and there are beers that are naturally carbonated with the Chico strain).

Don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to dissuade you from experimenting and learning new techniques. I'm just trying to guide you to doing so in a way that can lead to success.

I've bottle harvested yeast from Red Tail Ale and from Rogue. I only brewed a few batches from each. I did it mostly to prove that it could be done. I harvested from Red Tail Ale as a learning experience. When I harvested from Rogue, the PacMan strain wasn't readily available, so bottle harvesting was about the only way to get it.

There are lists available that will tell you what beers are naturally carbonated, and which of those are carbonated with the yeasts that were used to ferment them. I know they exist, because I found them when I was experimenting with that. I'll leave it to you to find more current lists, because I'm no longer interested in doing this. 

Find one of these lists. Get a few bottles of one of these beers. Try this same experiment with one of these. I'd suggest using at least 3 bottles. More is better, but IIRC, I was successful using 3. Sanitation is even more important when harvesting yeast than the brewing. Sterilize what you can and sanitize the rest.

If you want to see the difference in harvesting yeast from a naturally carbonated beer and a beer with dregs, but no viable yeast, try harvesting some yeast from some beers you brewed and bottled, adding some sugar at bottling time for carbonation. Watch what happens when you add the live yeast from 2-3 of your beers to some wort and let it sit a few days and compare that with the (in)activity of the wort where you added the dregs from the Guinness wheat bottles. That's the difference between live yeast and dead yeast.