Mr.Beer Community
Richard A

Force carbonation

I just tried the quick way to carbonate my keg of bewitched ale set CO2 to 30 Psi let it set for 24 hrs then bled of the head pressure hooked up my out line reset pressure to 10 psi and got nothing but foam. Any ideas what was going on here? Reset to 8 psi and got the same results. Not sure what went wrong 

37 minutes ago, Richard A said:

I just tried the quick way to carbonate my keg of bewitched ale set CO2 to 30 Psi let it set for 24 hrs then bled of the head pressure hooked up my out line reset pressure to 10 psi and got nothing but foam. Any ideas what was going on here? Reset to 8 psi and got the same results. Not sure what went wrong 

Sounds like its over carbed. What temp was it carbing at and what temp is it now? Likely you just have to purge a little CO2 every time you walk by it for a bit. 

I dont ever quick carb. But i also have quite a bit of beers to choose from. Can a keg be quick carbed? Absolutely. Is waiting a week better? Absolutely. Especially if its a fresh beer that needs a bit of conditioning. 

Can I assume that this is in a corny keg? I think Creeps has got it right though, it does sound like you have simply over carbonated the beer. Saturation over time is the most reliable way, but it is just one of the ways. You chose one of the fast ways, but also one way that has the most potential for errors. This can easily be remedied though as Creeps said. Here are some simple things to do:

• Do NOT rack the beer into a different keg, it will not help and will oxidize the beer making it taste poorly. 
  • Do Not try to serve the overcarbonated beer at a lower serving pressure, it will continue to foam and then undercarbonate in the glass.

1. Turn off the Co2 or detach the hose
  2. Pull the pressure relief valve repeatedly over time (as creeps mentioned)
  3. test frequently so that you do not go too far in relieving the pressure
  4. Reconnect your gas pressure line after achieving the proper level of carbonation factoring in your beer line restriction.

Thanks Rick will try to get it using the method you suggested. Didn’t think it would overcarbonate that quick it had only been 24 hrs. Everything I read said to set CO2 pressure to 30 Psi and leave it for 24-48 hrs. Live and learn I guess. Thanks again for the info

15 minutes ago, Richard A said:

Thanks Rick will try to get it using the method you suggested. Didn’t think it would overcarbonate that quick it had only been 24 hrs. Everything I read said to set CO2 pressure to 30 Psi and leave it for 24-48 hrs. Live and learn I guess. Thanks again for the info

This chart shows after 24 hours (i think). So maybe next time do 16ish? If you must. 

159B9456-4730-4484-9FF0-9514E619A682.png

6 hours ago, Richard A said:

Didn’t think it would overcarbonate that quick it had only been 24 hrs.

If we are in a “rush”, we do sixtels in our cooler at 30# for 24 hours then back them  down to 12# until delivered.  With that, based on time, temp, pressure... and my own experience... I don’t feel it’s over carbonated.  My thought is, what are you pushing it out at and what is the length of your beverage line?  Do you have those dialed in and balanced already?  They can make a yuge difference. 

5 hours ago, kedogn said:

What’s the rise in your lines?  Are your lines clean?  Are you just using a cobra tap?  What size is the ID of your line?

When I was setting up my keezer, I looked everywhere for info and I remember one guy saying that setting up tap lines is the closest thing to rocket science he’s ever done. It’s true, so many variables. That’s why on my last tap I put a flow control faucet on. Takes the guess work out.