Mr.Beer Community
planewrench

Something other than booster

2 hours ago, 76shovel said:

I've added brown sugar in a few dark stouts.  It doesn't wreck the beer but yeah, it's puts a different edge on it.  You may like it, you may not. gotta try it to know.

Well, I'm wavering because most of the guys on the forum think I would be making a mistake using brown sugar.  But it was the idea that it WOULD change the properties of the MRB CAL recipe that I was considering it in the first place.  I owe Nickfixit a nod for providing a link to a brewing blog that treats with the use of different types of sugar (incl brown) in the brewing process.  In that article I learned that IF I try adding it to my adjuncts, I may want to dial back the amount somewhat.  Perhaps a cup was too much for just 2.2 gallons. 

10 hours ago, Mic Todd said:

Sierra Nevada is another (non-Oregon) brewer that we really enjoy beers from.  It was, I believe, SN who helped pioneer the Ekuanot hop when it was hybridized from Oregon hops.  There are plenty of World-Class craft brewers in the West but Oregon & California lead the pack as far as we're concerned.  That's why I chose the Ekuanot Hop to brew my hop tea with (that and its characteristics).  I really have NO idea whether or not CAL, DME, brown-sugar and those hops are a good idea or not.  Strictly flying by the seat of my pants here guys...

Ekuanot is nice. I made the Mr B Bindlestick wheat with that. I like the flavor but I can't drink too much of that hoppiness.  1/2 oz is pretty safe.

8 minutes ago, Mic Todd said:

Well, I'm wavering because most of the guys on the forum think I would be making a mistake using brown sugar.  But it was the idea that it WOULD change the properties of the MRB CAL recipe that I was considering it in the first place.  I owe Nickfixit a nod for providing a link to a brewing blog that treats with the use of different types of sugar (incl brown) in the brewing process.  In that article I learned that IF I try adding it to my adjuncts, I may want to dial back the amount somewhat.  Perhaps a cup was too much for just 2.2 gallons. 

Pros:  used in the CAL, you'll most likely be able to really pick up on what the brown sugar brings to the table.

Cons:  if you don't like what it brings to the table you'll still have two gallons of beer to drink.  Or just do what I do with the beers I don't like:  make beer chili, beer bread, or use them in marinades.  🙂  But if you dump it down the drain, RickBeer will hunt you down without mercy.  ☠️☠️ 😊

7 minutes ago, Nickfixit said:

Ekuanot is nice. I made the Mr B Bindlestick wheat with that. I like the flavor but I can't drink too much of that hoppiness.  1/2 oz is pretty safe.

Yeah, I think so too.  The dry-hopping is supposed to reduce (or eliminate) bitterness but there are beers I've drank that were just too hoppy.  Don't want to overdue it.

9 minutes ago, Shrike said:

Pros:  used in the CAL, you'll most likely be able to really pick up on what the brown sugar brings to the table.

Cons:  if you don't like what it brings to the table you'll still have two gallons of beer to drink.  Or just do what I do with the beers I don't like:  make beer chili, beer bread, or use them in marinades.  🙂  But if you dump it down the drain, RickBeer will hunt you down without mercy.  ☠️☠️ 😊

That's good to know! About Rickbeer, that is...lol

On 10/4/2018 at 7:39 PM, Nickfixit said:

So it really depends how brown and strong tasting your sugar is.

Just finished brewing my 3rd batch and this one was the 'experiment' I talked about.  I started with MRB's CAL recipe, added some DME and agave nectar instead of the brown sugar.  My wife was peeved I ditched the brown sugar cause she loves the Lagunitas Shugga, but I let myself get talked out of it - this time.  I also ditched the MRB standard yeast for some Safale US-05 instead (saving the MRB yeast for another experiment, later).  In a couple of months we'll see how my experiment turns out.  btw, this time I added a bit more water, safely above the 2 gallon mark.  With all that extra fermentables, I figured there was room for more.  Should get a full 11 bottles this time.

17 hours ago, Mic Todd said:

Just finished brewing my 3rd batch and this one was the 'experiment' I talked about.  I started with MRB's CAL recipe, added some DME and agave nectar instead of the brown sugar.  My wife was peeved I ditched the brown sugar cause she loves the Lagunitas Shugga, but I let myself get talked out of it - this time.  I also ditched the MRB standard yeast for some Safale US-05 instead (saving the MRB yeast for another experiment, later).  In a couple of months we'll see how my experiment turns out.  btw, this time I added a bit more water, safely above the 2 gallon mark.  With all that extra fermentables, I figured there was room for more.  Should get a full 11 bottles this time.

You will get some idea when you taste at bottling.

True.  Already I can tell it (the wort) was a lot darker than the standard recipe makes (after adding the dark DME and agave).  It came in with a O.G. of 1.061.  At bottling I'm going to also try dry-hopping it in the bottles with a hop tea made from Ekuanot hops.  That should obliterate the original recipe.  Wife says if the brew tastes bad, it oughta still work on the slugs in her garden.

42 minutes ago, Mic Todd said:

True.  Already I can tell it (the wort) was a lot darker than the standard recipe makes (after adding the dark DME and agave).  It came in with a O.G. of 1.061.  At bottling I'm going to also try dry-hopping it in the bottles with a hop tea made from Ekuanot hops.  That should obliterate the original recipe.  Wife says if the brew tastes bad, it oughta still work on the slugs in her garden.

True, saucers of beer are lethal for slugs

On 9/23/2018 at 11:23 AM, Cato said:

I have a backlog of booster, and I use it when I can. I haven't noticed any flavor issues with it at all.

Every time I place an order I add a few boosters in with it. I use them in everything almost. No risk way adding a little bang per bottle Imo.

4 hours ago, epete28 said:

Every time I place an order I add a few boosters in with it. I use them in everything almost. No risk way adding a little bang per bottle Imo.

Do you find that adding booster packs dries the beer out a little?  I've read that on the forums but have never used a booster pack yet to find out.