Jump to content
Mr.Beer Community
planewrench

Something other than booster

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, 76shovel said:

I've added brown sugar in a few dark stouts.  It doesn't wreck the beer but yeah, it's puts a different edge on it.  You may like it, you may not. gotta try it to know.

 

Well, I'm wavering because most of the guys on the forum think I would be making a mistake using brown sugar.  But it was the idea that it WOULD change the properties of the MRB CAL recipe that I was considering it in the first place.  I owe Nickfixit a nod for providing a link to a brewing blog that treats with the use of different types of sugar (incl brown) in the brewing process.  In that article I learned that IF I try adding it to my adjuncts, I may want to dial back the amount somewhat.  Perhaps a cup was too much for just 2.2 gallons. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Mic Todd said:

Sierra Nevada is another (non-Oregon) brewer that we really enjoy beers from.  It was, I believe, SN who helped pioneer the Ekuanot hop when it was hybridized from Oregon hops.  There are plenty of World-Class craft brewers in the West but Oregon & California lead the pack as far as we're concerned.  That's why I chose the Ekuanot Hop to brew my hop tea with (that and its characteristics).  I really have NO idea whether or not CAL, DME, brown-sugar and those hops are a good idea or not.  Strictly flying by the seat of my pants here guys...

Ekuanot is nice. I made the Mr B Bindlestick wheat with that. I like the flavor but I can't drink too much of that hoppiness.  1/2 oz is pretty safe.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Mic Todd said:

 

Well, I'm wavering because most of the guys on the forum think I would be making a mistake using brown sugar.  But it was the idea that it WOULD change the properties of the MRB CAL recipe that I was considering it in the first place.  I owe Nickfixit a nod for providing a link to a brewing blog that treats with the use of different types of sugar (incl brown) in the brewing process.  In that article I learned that IF I try adding it to my adjuncts, I may want to dial back the amount somewhat.  Perhaps a cup was too much for just 2.2 gallons. 

 

Pros:  used in the CAL, you'll most likely be able to really pick up on what the brown sugar brings to the table.

Cons:  if you don't like what it brings to the table you'll still have two gallons of beer to drink.  Or just do what I do with the beers I don't like:  make beer chili, beer bread, or use them in marinades.  🙂  But if you dump it down the drain, RickBeer will hunt you down without mercy.  ☠️☠️ 😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Nickfixit said:

Ekuanot is nice. I made the Mr B Bindlestick wheat with that. I like the flavor but I can't drink too much of that hoppiness.  1/2 oz is pretty safe.

 

 

Yeah, I think so too.  The dry-hopping is supposed to reduce (or eliminate) bitterness but there are beers I've drank that were just too hoppy.  Don't want to overdue it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Shrike said:

 

Pros:  used in the CAL, you'll most likely be able to really pick up on what the brown sugar brings to the table.

Cons:  if you don't like what it brings to the table you'll still have two gallons of beer to drink.  Or just do what I do with the beers I don't like:  make beer chili, beer bread, or use them in marinades.  🙂  But if you dump it down the drain, RickBeer will hunt you down without mercy.  ☠️☠️ 😊

 

That's good to know! About Rickbeer, that is...lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/4/2018 at 7:39 PM, Nickfixit said:

So it really depends how brown and strong tasting your sugar is.

 

Just finished brewing my 3rd batch and this one was the 'experiment' I talked about.  I started with MRB's CAL recipe, added some DME and agave nectar instead of the brown sugar.  My wife was peeved I ditched the brown sugar cause she loves the Lagunitas Shugga, but I let myself get talked out of it - this time.  I also ditched the MRB standard yeast for some Safale US-05 instead (saving the MRB yeast for another experiment, later).  In a couple of months we'll see how my experiment turns out.  btw, this time I added a bit more water, safely above the 2 gallon mark.  With all that extra fermentables, I figured there was room for more.  Should get a full 11 bottles this time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Mic Todd said:

Just finished brewing my 3rd batch and this one was the 'experiment' I talked about.  I started with MRB's CAL recipe, added some DME and agave nectar instead of the brown sugar.  My wife was peeved I ditched the brown sugar cause she loves the Lagunitas Shugga, but I let myself get talked out of it - this time.  I also ditched the MRB standard yeast for some Safale US-05 instead (saving the MRB yeast for another experiment, later).  In a couple of months we'll see how my experiment turns out.  btw, this time I added a bit more water, safely above the 2 gallon mark.  With all that extra fermentables, I figured there was room for more.  Should get a full 11 bottles this time.

You will get some idea when you taste at bottling.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

True.  Already I can tell it (the wort) was a lot darker than the standard recipe makes (after adding the dark DME and agave).  It came in with a O.G. of 1.061.  At bottling I'm going to also try dry-hopping it in the bottles with a hop tea made from Ekuanot hops.  That should obliterate the original recipe.  Wife says if the brew tastes bad, it oughta still work on the slugs in her garden.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Mic Todd said:

True.  Already I can tell it (the wort) was a lot darker than the standard recipe makes (after adding the dark DME and agave).  It came in with a O.G. of 1.061.  At bottling I'm going to also try dry-hopping it in the bottles with a hop tea made from Ekuanot hops.  That should obliterate the original recipe.  Wife says if the brew tastes bad, it oughta still work on the slugs in her garden.

True, saucers of beer are lethal for slugs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/23/2018 at 11:23 AM, Cato said:

I have a backlog of booster, and I use it when I can. I haven't noticed any flavor issues with it at all.

Every time I place an order I add a few boosters in with it. I use them in everything almost. No risk way adding a little bang per bottle Imo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, epete28 said:

Every time I place an order I add a few boosters in with it. I use them in everything almost. No risk way adding a little bang per bottle Imo.

 

Do you find that adding booster packs dries the beer out a little?  I've read that on the forums but have never used a booster pack yet to find out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Mic Todd said:

 

Do you find that adding booster packs dries the beer out a little?  I've read that on the forums but have never used a booster pack yet to find out.

I cant say for certain if it does or not. I personally hadn't noticed. I know that honey sure as heck does though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Drying out a beer is simply having it ferment to a lower FG than it would with normal malt, i.e. grains, LME, or DME.  Sugars like honey and table sugar are eaten more completely by yeast than are the sugars in malt extract.

 

So what does Mr. Beer booster do?  The first place to look is on the product page on the Mr. Beer site, which in fact provides the answer.

 

Booster™ is made from corn syrup solids and is ideally suited for use as a brewing adjunct. It provides a full and balanced range of both fermentable and unfermentable sugars that are designed to mimic the carbohydrate profile of all-malt wort, consisting of 8% glucose, 56% maltose, 16% maltotriose, and 20% dextrins.

 

So you have your answer.  Booster mimics malt, therefore it does not dry out a beer.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, epete28 said:

I cant say for certain if it does or not. I personally hadn't noticed. I know that honey sure as heck does though.

 

Hmmm... I haven't yet used honey but in this last batch, my 1st experiment, I used agave nectar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, RickBeer said:

Booster™ is made from corn syrup solids and is ideally suited for use as a brewing adjunct. It provides a full and balanced range of both fermentable and unfermentable sugars that are designed to mimic the carbohydrate profile of all-malt wort, consisting of 8% glucose, 56% maltose, 16% maltotriose, and 20% dextrins.

 

 

So you have your answer.  Booster mimics malt, therefore it does not dry out a beer.

 

 

Good, I have 6 packs now and I can save them for when I want to boost abv.  Not that I like HIGH abv's alone.  6-7% is plenty.  It's the flavor (and the mouth feel) I want to increase or at least preserve when trying my experiments.  Thanks again, Rick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, RickBeer said:

Booster will have zero impact on flavor.  Same with honey, all the sugar is eaten.  Honey flavor is put into beer by steeping honey malt.  

 

I wondered how they did that.  I have a friend collecting some of our honey (we have a hive) to make mead.  Now, I've tried mead and do not like it, but I have to admit I'm intrigued by the process.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RickBeer said:

Booster will have zero impact on flavor.  Same with honey, all the sugar is eaten.  Honey flavor is put into beer by steeping honey malt.  

 

Diligently doing my research I found this on Mr Beer's page for Saison Du Meil:  "The addition of honey gives this beer (Saison Du Meil) its characteristic dryness (emphasis mine) while the sterling hops compliment the spicy, peppery profile of the Belle Saison yeast. It can be brewed at higher temperatures than normal, making this the perfect summer beer."

 

This is why I wondered if adding fermentable sugars (without adding malts) would tend to dry things out.   Honey apparently does, if not steeped (as you suggest).

FOR FANS OF:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Mic Todd said:

This is why I wondered if adding fermentable sugars (without adding malts) would tend to dry things out.   Honey apparently does, if not steeped (as you suggest).

 

 

I never said that honey was steeped.  I said that honey malt is steeped.  The only thing they have in common is the word "honey".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, RickBeer said:

 

I never said that honey was steeped.  I said that honey malt is steeped.  The only thing they have in common is the word "honey".

 

I stand corrected.  Not very likely I'll ever be using either, but one never knows.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cato said:

I think a half cup of honey helps diminish the extract twang that can be present in HME's, though that could just be my taste buds.

 

 

I'm wondering if agave nectar might do a similar thing?  I used agave nectar in my experiment (in the LBK now).  I don't know how it's going to turn out but it will certainly be a different beer than the CAL it started life as.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×