Mr.Beer Community
planewrench

Something other than booster

12 minutes ago, planewrench said:

Rose's Rambling Red. I really like red ales!

If I brewed this one again I might skip the booster and partial mash with 4-6 oz. Maris Otter (or 2-row) and a couple oz. of Caramel 60.  If you were feeling adventurous, you could even throw in an oz. of roasted malt to get the Irish Red dryness.

2 hours ago, planewrench said:

Would a DME be a suitable substitute for the booster called out for Rose's Ranging Ale?

Yes, but it will shift the balance towards more malt flavor.  You might want to add a bit of hops to offset the extra malt.  Willamette or Fuggles for about 10 minutes or at flameout would be a nice addition without being too assertive.

On 9/21/2018 at 8:38 PM, planewrench said:

Would a DME be a suitable substitute for the booster called out for Rose's Ranging Ale?

FYI, you can edit posts to fix spelling errors...

Your question was answered by Bonsai & Brew.  On any recipe, you can add some LME or DME instead of booster, in addition to booster, or just because you want to.  If you look at Mr. Beer's deluxe refills, they show you WHICH LME you would normally use.  Note that you usually can not go wrong with Pale, others will alter the flavor more.

With a standard can of Mr. Beer, I would never add more than a pound of LME, usually 1/2 pound.  

Rose's Rambling Red already has LME, and adds booster.  Doubling the LME and knocking out the booster would have the same ABV impact, but would alter the flavor a bit more.  

LME and DME are interchangeable, just in slightly different quantities.  DME is basically LME without the water in it.

1 pound of LME = 0.8 pounds of DME.

1 pound of DME = 1.25 pounds of LME.

In adding Extract, I figure that Mr Beer has formulated their HME for the desired flavor.

If you add other than Booster or VERY Pale malt you will change that. I am not saying that is good or bad, you have to taste it first to see. 

Booster will keep the intended flavor and add alcohol and body. 

If you like it more malty add malt

If you like it more hoppy add hops,

if you  like the balance but want more intensity add malt AND hops to keep the balance.

Adding Wheat malt is a nice way to go often, it does not change flavor much, maybe mellows it a little and it adds body and head retention.

In terms of how much, the Mr B packs are intended to add 1% alcohol to the brew. So 1 or 2 Malt packs will get you from  ~3.3% ABV to ~ 4.3% or 5.3%. Booster adds ~ 1.2%

Some brewers here make monster beers and get much higher than that.

Much will depend on the yeast, which will convert 70 to 80+ % of the sugar depending what kind (attenuation.)

So yes, you can certainly add and most of us do, but what to add depends what result you want. You can look at posts here or ask or look at Mr B. recipes.

Start off slow with adds until you get a feel for what you like.

I am still wondering about the aversion to booster.

On 9/20/2018 at 8:29 PM, planewrench said:

Is there something besides booster that can be used called out for in Mr B recipes?

I'm wondering if one can add a pound of DME to the basic Mr Beer Classic American Light?  I have this crazy idea of adding the DME and hopping it up with some Ekuanot hops to give it more kick than otherwise.   I'm sure this has been tried by others on this site, wonder how it turned out?

1 hour ago, Mic Todd said:

I'm wondering if one can add a pound of DME to the basic Mr Beer Classic American Light?  I have this crazy idea of adding the DME and hopping it up with some Ekuanot hops to give it more kick than otherwise.   I'm sure this has been tried by others on this site, wonder how it turned out?

You certainly can do that.  The CAL is the HME I use the most for playing around with.  I usually use one booster pack, 6-8oz grains, and a hop boil along with dry hopping.  They've all turned out pretty well.

By itself it's pretty bland, but with a few additions you can make some damned tasty beers with the CAL.

I try to add just enough water to the 2G recipes to get 12 full 740ml bottles after fermentation.  I always had booster in an attempt to get back to neighborhood of the advertised ABV .

After 2 years of this I still don't own a hydrometer so it's just a WAG.  I'm more focused on the taste anyhow.

3 hours ago, 76shovel said:

I try to add just enough water to the 2G recipes to get 12 full 740ml bottles after fermentation.  I always had booster in an attempt to get back to neighborhood of the advertised ABV .

After 2 years of this I still don't own a hydrometer so it's just a WAG.  I'm more focused on the taste anyhow.

If you like what you brew that is what counts  😀

I have a hydrometer but I don't use it. I picked a used Refractometer which is much easier although maybe less accurate but it does what I need.

If you brew all grain though you will need one I think to make sure things are working properly.

On 9/30/2018 at 8:20 AM, Nickfixit said:

If you like what you brew that is what counts  😀

I have a hydrometer but I don't use it. I picked a used Refractometer which is much easier although maybe less accurate but it does what I need.

If you brew all grain though you will need one I think to make sure things are working properly.

I decided to go with a Brix refractor because I will be experimenting with my own tweaks on Mr Beer's CAL next week.  I thought it might be fun to see how high I can boost the abv on the CAL by adding a few adjuncts and dry-hopping it for flavor when bottling.  I 'think' (?) the MRB CAL recipe normally yields around 4.2% without adding adjuncts.  Hoping to get it to around 5-5.5% with added color and flavor...now, if I can only figure out how to use the refractometer....

On 9/30/2018 at 4:57 AM, 76shovel said:

I'm entirely with you on this idea of adding just a bit more water to the keg to get a full twelve - 32oz bottles of beer.  It really isn't that much more water, about 1-1½ quarts or so.  I'm adding some DME and dark brown-sugar to the recipe so that should compensate for the little bit of increased water, I'd think.

On 9/25/2018 at 11:51 AM, Shrike said:

You certainly can do that.  The CAL is the HME I use the most for playing around with.  I usually use one booster pack, 6-8oz grains, and a hop boil along with dry hopping.  They've all turned out pretty well.

By itself it's pretty bland, but with a few additions you can make some damned tasty beers with the CAL.

Which is my feeling exactly, as indicated in my two other posts here.  I figured the CAL would be the one to try experimenting with.  I've decided on 1 full pound of DME and a cup of extra dark brown-sugar into the wort.  I am planning on dry-hopping in the bottles themselves with a hop tea I'll make with a french press.  The one thing I haven't quite worked out yet is whether or not I should substitute a different yeast (and a little more than the included MRB pack has in it) to the wort instead?  I have some fresh Safale 05 available but could use some advice on that.