Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Jdub

yeast starter

Just an observation....I was talking to my local HBS guys recently and they were talking to me about doing a yeast starter. They said I really don't need it for a 2.5 gallon batch, but I made one for my Octoberfest i brewed up this past weekend. I have to say, that I haven't seen fermentation start that quickly or that strong with any other yeast I have pitched. Probably an inch of krausen in less than 24 hours. Used a Wyeast Octoberfest Lager yeast.

25 minutes ago, Jdub said:

Just an observation....I was talking to my local HBS guys recently and they were talking to me about doing a yeast starter. They said I really don't need it for a 2.5 gallon batch, but I made one for my Octoberfest i brewed up this past weekend. I have to say, that I haven't seen fermentation start that quickly or that strong with any other yeast I have pitched. Probably an inch of krausen in less than 24 hours. Used a Wyeast Octoberfest Lager yeast.

I never make starters anymore. With all these yeasts having 100 million kajillion viable cells, theres no need to. However, i use yeast nutrient on every brew and i too can say that almost always, 8 hours later im off to the races. I always hated the day or two or three of waiting for activity when I regularly used dry yeast. 

10 minutes ago, Creeps McLane said:

I never make starters anymore. With all these yeasts having 100 million kajillion viable cells, theres no need to. However, i use yeast nutrient on every brew and i too can say that almost always, 8 hours later im off to the races. I always hated the day or two or three of waiting for activity when I regularly used dry yeast. 

ive started using the nutrient recently. just saying that I noticed a quicker start to fermentation.

Most of my batches are 2.5 to 3 gallons and I always make a starter.  Yes it is true that Wyeast and White labs yeast are 100 billion cells but that is at packaging.  They degrade over time and in most cases the calculated number of cells available is short of what is recommended.  So because of this, I make a starter and I always have signs of fermentation the morning after an afternoon pitch.  I also use yeast nutrient in both my starters and my wort. 

Healthy yeast is one of the best tools for brewing good beer and I don't take chances.  There is virtually no way to overpitch at the homebrew level so why not err on the side of too many yeast cells rather than too few.

Just my $0.02.

I've  never used a starter and only one liquid yeast up to now. I just got some Fast Pitch for a WLP yeast, so since I have it I'll make a starter and see how that works out. Yeast nutrients I guess I've technically used that by dropping some MB yeast packs in the boil.

1 hour ago, Cato said:

I've  never used a starter and only one liquid yeast up to now. I just got some Fast Pitch for a WLP yeast, so since I have it I'll make a starter and see how that works out. Yeast nutrients I guess I've technically used that by dropping some MB yeast packs in the boil.

i think it's pretty cool actually. it's like making a little beer batch to pour into your beer batch. Hey i don't know if it's necessary or even better, but I do know that there is so much waiting time invested in a batch of brew that I figure whatever I can do on the front end to make it better is worth while. that fast pitch sounds like a good product.

2 hours ago, Cato said:

I do that too with excess MRB yeast packets.  It keeps the little cannibals happy.  😀

24 minutes ago, BDawg62 said:

If you have a home canner you can make your own Fast Pitch wort.  I make up seven 800ml jars each time I do it and it is a lot cheaper than Fast Pitch.

Ah, something new for me to learn, like it's not bad enough waking up around 3:30-4 ish couple nights a week thinking about beer recipes! :)

However, I do have some brews coming up that I plan on using liquid yeasts that are style specific, and so in theory should make for a better dubbel, irish, Witbier, etc. 

So my 4 pack of Fast Pitch and my little 1000ml flask will give me an intro into yeast starters.

Until last week I thought people just dumped the liquid yeast packs in like dry yeast. It's what I did for some Omega Barbarian yeast and it took off pretty good, but I want to see and learn how this process works.

Cato,

I use a 2000ml flask and that has never not been big enough.

There are many yeast starter calculators out there.  I have links to several below, there is also one in the current version of Beersmith.  Take a look at them and then just pick one and use that one all the time.  That way you have consistency.  I used to use the Brewers Friend one but now use the one in Beersmith.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/yeast-pitch-rate-and-starter-calculator/

http://www.brewunited.com/yeast_calculator.php

http://www.yeastcalculator.com/

I always make my starter on Thursday evening for a Saturday brewday.  On Friday evening I take the stir rod out of the flask and put the flask in the refrigerator to cold crash.  On Saturday when my boil starts I decant the wort on top of the yeast and then leave it on the counter to warm up to room temperature so that I can pitch when my wort is at pitching temperature.

Dawg

1 hour ago, Cato said:

Until last week I thought people just dumped the liquid yeast packs in like dry yeast. It's what I did for some Omega Barbarian yeast and it took off pretty good, but I want to see and learn how this process works.

This is exactly what i do. I typically use omega but i also use wyeast smack packs. Never had a problem

1 minute ago, Creeps McLane said:

This is exactly what i do. I typically use omega but i also use wyeast smack packs. Never had a problem

i've always just dumped the liquid in the fermenter. works great.......i've only done a starter once just for fun.