Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Lacrossedad76

Newbie question

Brewing my first batch ever thanks to my parents and a birthday gift. I'm about 4 days away from my fermentation completion. Just wondering if I should cold crash my Oktober Lager batch and when..my fermentation is due Sunday Sept 30. Thanks for any advise

24 minutes ago, Lacrossedad76 said:

Brewing my first batch ever thanks to my parents and a birthday gift. I'm about 4 days away from my fermentation completion. Just wondering if I should cold crash my Oktober Lager batch and when..my fermentation is due Sunday Sept 30. Thanks for any advise

Its your beer. You get to decide. Thats the best part of home brewing. But if you decide to, read rickbeers signature to find the fine points of it. 

If you have a cold space to put it for 3 days, why not?   I do not, but then I tolerate beers that are not maybe as clear as commercial beers. See, I got to decide 😁.

Try some brews with and some without and see what you like and what difference you see. A lot of Home Brewing is about experimenting to see what you prefer.

Read Rick Beer's signature info and as much as you can about brewing and ask here as you are doing.

I would let it have the 21 days fermentation and then crash it, to make sure fermentation is done.

And remember the 3-4-3 rule. (or I suppose if you cold crash 3-3-4-3?   

3 weeks in fermenter, (3 days cold crash optional), 4 weeks carbonate and condition minimum, 3 days in fridge before drinking. 

Of course you can drink it earlier but it will not be as good. Probably it will improve over another 6 months if you can keep it that long. 

Being as it its your first brew, I would order another  refill now (if you have not yet)  so that you can continue putting the LBK into good use.

I think they have Oktoberfest at 30% off?  No that was earlier but I see American Ale is discounted to $11  from #17.95

With shipping at flat rate $7.95, you need to buy several to amortize or check Amazon for free shipping deals if you have Amazon prime.

e.g. I see Diablo IPA on sale for $17.95 with free shipping on Amazon.  ($21.95 at Mr B + shipping!)