Mr.Beer Community
oldbagobones

Bottling question

I swear if it wasn't for problems I wouldn't have anything to complain about.  I bottled my batch of Double Black Stout about two weeks ago in a dozen flip top bottles and two left over PET 22oz bottles.  When I was bottling these I somehow let my mind wander and put two carbo drops in each 16oz bottle.  I realize the amount was supposed to be only one drop for 12-16oz but of course I realized this too late.  My concern is other than possible bottle bombs and excessive carbonation, will this ruin the flavor of the beer?  It has been two weeks and not explosions yet (knock on wood).  Has anyone ever had this happen?  Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.  Three weeks is up for conditioning of the Churchill I brewed.  Gonna refrigerate one and see how it fares.  Thanks group!

No, it won't ruin the flavor of your beer.  They'll just be a bit over-carb'ed.  When it comes time to drink one, you can pour a glass, put it in the fridge for a bit to let some of the CO2 escape, then drink it.

Having said that, I've found that the flip-top bottles do not hold carbonation very well for long periods of time.  They seem airtight, but the CO2 will leak out as the beer sits and conditions.  I only use them for beers that I'll be drinking relatively quickly after bottling, such as IPAs.  The Double Black Diamond recommended conditioning time is 2-6 months.  Personally, I wouldn't start drinking them until they've conditioned for four months.  At that time, you may pop the top of one and find that there's very little gas at all.  If that's the case you can "recarbonate" them by popping the tops, dropping in another carb drop (with clean hands, of course :) ), re-sealing, and letting them sit for another three weeks. 

Thanks shrike, I know that there is a long conditioning time for this beer. I wish I knew about the flip top leaking possibility. Next time I may just go with the PET bottles for a long conditioning.  If recarbing is required, that don’t seem like too bad of a problem. Live and learn!

Does anyone know if there are 25 oz bottles similar to the Mr Beer bottles (but made of glass instead) for sale on the net?  I think 25 oz is about perfect, yielding 24 oz+- each, which is two glasses of beer.  T'would be perfect for the wife and I, only needing to open one bottle at a time.

4 hours ago, Mic Todd said:

Does anyone know if there are 25 oz bottles similar to the Mr Beer bottles (but made of glass instead) for sale on the net?  I think 25 oz is about perfect, yielding 24 oz+- each, which is two glasses of beer.  T'would be perfect for the wife and I, only needing to open one bottle at a time.

Answered in your other post but here it is again

http://www.ritebrew.com/product-p/863185.htm