Mr.Beer Community
Squirley Mic

Bottles on the Net?

Does anyone know if there are 25 oz bottles similar to the Mr Beer bottles (but made of glass instead) for sale on the net?  I think 25 oz is about perfect, yielding 24 oz+- each, which is two glasses of beer.  T'would be perfect for the wife and I, only needing to open one bottle at a time.

I've already purchases a dozen 32 oz swing-cap bottles, but that's nearly two 16 oz beers apiece and our beer glasses don't quite hold that much.  25 oz would be better

9 hours ago, Creeps McLane said:

22 oz bombers

http://www.ritebrew.com/product-p/863176.htm

or champagne bottles i believe are 25 oz

http://www.ritebrew.com/product-p/863185.htm

Thanks Creeps, that 2nd link works to get me to affordable 750ml bottles.  By 'standard 26mm caps' I take that to mean the type one crimps on with a crimping tool.  It doesn't specify whether or not one needs to reinforce these with wire ties so I'm thinking these will work

16 minutes ago, Mic Todd said:

Thanks Creeps, that 2nd link works to get me to affordable 750ml bottles.  By 'standard 26mm caps' I take that to mean the type one crimps on with a crimping tool.  It doesn't specify whether or not one needs to reinforce these with wire ties so I'm thinking these will work

By standard I think thats the same cap as a 12 oz bottle. 

Yes, I think you are right.  That same link also sells the caps and the capper at a significant discount from Amazon's prices, if you discount the shipping.  I think in time this is the way I'll go, since I really like the size of the Mr Beer bottles, yielding two 12oz glasses of beer apiece.

The problem you'll find buying glass bottles on the net is the shipping is going to kill you.  I bought glass flip-tops one time only because they were like 70% off, so adding the shipping made them like 10 dollars cheaper than buying them from a local store.  Otherwise, no way I would have done it.

On 9/27/2018 at 11:50 AM, Squirley Mic said:

No, that's not what "standard 26mm caps" means.

Bottles are sold in different sizes.  You call the Mr. Beer bottles 25 oz.  They are not.  They are, as you later noted, milliliter bottles (actually 740ml, not 750ml).  Why does that matter?  Well, for PET bottles, it doesn't. 

Standard US glass bottles are measured in ounces and use 26mm caps.  Standard European glass bottles are measured in milliliters and use 29 mm caps.  

Make sure that any bottles that you buy use 26mm caps.  European bottles need the larger caps and your bottle capper needs a larger bell.  

5 hours ago, RickBeer said:

No, that's not what "standard 26mm caps" means.

Bottles are sold in different sizes.  You call the Mr. Beer bottles 25 oz.  They are not.  They are, as you later noted, milliliter bottles (actually 740ml, not 750ml).  Why does that matter?  Well, for PET bottles, it doesn't. 

Standard US glass bottles are measured in ounces and use 26mm caps.  Standard European glass bottles are measured in milliliters and use 29 mm caps.  

Make sure that any bottles that you buy use 26mm caps.  European bottles need the larger caps and your bottle capper needs a larger bell.  

I've decided I'm going to pretty much just stick with the MRB PET bottles and the 1-liter glass bottles that I already have.  I like the size of the MRB bottles, perfect for two glasses of beer apiece, one for me and one for the wife.  I have another box of MRB bottles on the way right now.   If I ever buy more bottles I'll try to find this same size, more-or-less, in glass with swing tops (like my 1-liter bottles).  I wish MRB offered them.  Thanks.

What's funny here is that Mr. Beer didn't get to that size for a while.  Initially, kits came with eight 1 liter bottles.  Then they offered sixteen 1/2 liter bottles for purchase (Jan 2012), but they didn't come in the kits.  

When Coopers bought Mr. Beer in April 2012, they started making changes.  First the cans of HME were changed over to Coopers.  Then other changes started being made.  The 740ml bottles were put into the kits beginning in July 2014, along with carb drops.  Prior to that you supplied your own sugar.  Of note is that the 740ml bottles are noticeably thinner than the 1 liter or 1/2 liter bottles.

Disclaimer - Offering dates based on Wayback Machine, other pages may have had content slightly earlier.  

3 hours ago, RickBeer said:

The 740ml bottles were put into the kits beginning in July 2014, along with carb drops.  Prior to that you supplied your own sugar.  Of note is that the 740ml bottles are noticeably thinner than the 1 liter or 1/2 liter bottles.

Personally, I like the 740 ml size of MRB's bottles and I've ordered a couple more boxes (of 12) to add to my stock.  I do wish, however, that MRB had included a 12th bottle with their kits.  I'd like to have an even 36 instead of 35.  I also have 12 1-liter bottles which I will/am using for long-term storage of my stout recipes.  My wish was that I could buy glass 740 ml bottles from MRB.

2.13 gallons is 272.64 ounces or 8,063 ml.  That's 11 bottles, never 12.  If they included 12 bottles, think of all the phone calls complaining that they couldn't fill the 12th bottle, had to add more water, etc...

I do agree I'd rather have even numbers though.  I happen to have 10, because a used kit I got for $5 had 10.

8 minutes ago, RickBeer said:

2.13 gallons is 272.64 ounces or 8,063 ml.  That's 11 bottles, never 12.  If they included 12 bottles, think of all the phone calls complaining that they couldn't fill the 12th bottle, had to add more water, etc...

I do agree I'd rather have even numbers though.  I happen to have 10, because a used kit I got for $5 had 10.

I see your point!

13 hours ago, RickBeer said:

I guess that petson had OCD and couldn't bear having a set of 11.