Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Mic Todd

CAL - new and improved?

So, for my 3rd batch of Mr Beer I think I'm gonna try an experiment:  Basic MB CAL mix, plus 1# DME, dissolved in warm water added to the wort, then after fermentation period, I plan to try a hop tea (made with my french press) added at bottling time along with the carbo drops.  Adding an ounce of hop tea to the beer at bottling should make my 10 bottles stretch to a full 11, while hopping the mix up a bit.  I'm looking for an amber DME, because I want to definitely change the color of the beer from golden to something slightly darker, hoping the malt extract will add a bit of alcohol and the hops a bit of flavor and aroma. 

This is a pretty simple experiment, nothing too complicated (or expensive) to begin with.  Wondering if any of you with more experience have tried this and if I need to boil the DME before I add it to the wort mix (CAL)?  At an extra $8-10 smackers, the cost of the 2 gallons of beer comes in around the cost of just buying 3 six-packs in the store - but where's the fun in that? 

Hops should be $1 per ounce or less.  A pound of DME should cost $3.50.

Proper way to use DME is to dissolve in water, bring to a boil, and then add the Mrr. Beer HME.  I'll say it again, you should spend more time reading here...

What are you trying to make adding Amber DME?  What kind of hops?  And why?

Don't forget  - flame out when you add the HME. Try a more conventional hop addition by boiling with your DME. Mr. Beer Smooth DME would be a good choice along with US Goldings hops. I think you still want to keep it "lighter" and not turn a the CAL into a something it is not meant to be.