Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Bonsai & Brew

"Red Keep" Biere de Garde

Here's the Zymurgy (July-August 2018) recipe that I scaled down to the LBK and brewed yesterday.

Red Keep Biere de Garde

• Weyermann Vienna, 5 lbs.
  • Belgian Aromatic malt, 0.2 lb. (I used Chateau Monastique malt)
  • Target, 10.8% AA, 0.25 oz, 50 min.
  • First Gold flavor hop (I subbed 0.25 oz. English Progress, 5.8% AA, 20 min.)
  • Willamette,  3.8% AA, 0.25 oz., 5 min.
  • Belgian Ale yeast (I used Mangrove Jack's M47)

Mash @ 152-154 F for 60 min.

Sprinkle sparge with hot tap water.

Add optional Pale DME, heat to hot-break then begin 90 min. boil.

Hop as noted.

Chill wort, make to volume and pitch yeast < 70 F.

Ferment on the cooler side, 63-65 F.

Here is where it gets interesting.  Following primary fermentation, rack to secondary and chill for 4 weeks at 48 F.  Then batch prime, bottle and carbonate.  Garde (keep/cellar) beer for at least 1 month following full carbonation prior to drinking.

OG  1.068

IBU  Low-mid 20s

SRM  8

ABV  6.5%

Recipe note:  I am not brewing true no-sparge BIAB.  My mash-in-sack process allows for a sparge step but becomes a challenge with grain bills exceeding 4.5-lbs.  Given a slight reduction in efficiency and my equipment limitations, I'll sometimes add a Mr. Beer BrewMax Pale or Smooth DME (or booster) pre-boil to ensure I hit my OG.  I did that this time.

3 hours ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

Here's the Zymurgy (July-August 2018) recipe that I scaled down to the LBK and brewed yesterday.

Red Keep Biere de Garde

• Weyermann Vienna, 5 lbs.
  • Belgian Aromatic malt, 0.2 lb. (I used Chateau Monastique malt)
  • Target, 10.8% AA, 0.25 oz, 50 min.
  • First Gold flavor hop (I subbed 0.25 oz. English Progress, 5.8% AA, 20 min.)
  • Willamette,  3.8% AA, 0.25 oz., 5 min.
  • Belgian Ale yeast (I used Mangrove Jack's M47)

Mash @ 152-154 F for 60 min.

Sprinkle sparge with hot tap water.

Add optional Pale DME, heat to hot-break then begin 90 min. boil.

Hop as noted.

Chill wort, make to volume and pitch yeast < 70 F.

Ferment on the cooler side, 63-65 F.

Here is where it gets interesting.  Following primary fermentation, rack to secondary and chill for 4 weeks at 48 F.  Then batch prime, bottle and carbonate.  Garde (keep/cellar) beer for at least 1 month following full carbonation prior to drinking.

OG  1.068

IBU  Low-mid 20s

SRM  8

ABV  6.5%

Recipe note:  I am not brewing true no-sparge BIAB.  My mash-in-sack process allows for a sparge step but becomes a challenge with grain bills exceeding 4.5-lbs.  Given a slight reduction in efficiency and my equipment limitations, I'll sometimes add a Mr. Beer BrewMax Pale or Smooth DME (or booster) pre-boil to ensure I hit my OG.  I did that this time.

I certainly do the same! I just pull the grain sack and set it in another pot to drain and sparge. I keep a jar of golden light, pilsner, and Amber in the fridge to add to larger grain bills. Usually a half to three quarter lb addition goes a long way towards any lack of mash efficiency.