Mr.Beer Community
Squirley Mic

New 3G Conical Fermenter

Just wondering if anyone of you guys have ever used the MRB 3G conical fermenter and what you thought of it?  They call it a 3 gallon fermenter but the instructions state that it produces a 2 gallon yield similar to the LBK.  What would be the advantage of the extra head space?  I can see the advantage of being able to harvest the yeast (trub?).  Thanks -

Sorry I posted this thinking it was the 3 gal fermenter I had. This refers to the 2G one with Krausen collar.

2G comments

Yes I tried it. It works fine. The advantage of the headspace is if you have extra active fermentation it will not overflow. You can of course, increment the recipes to 3 gal too. THe inset that collects the scum is handy too as you can take it out before doing anything with the beer.

BUT - I found it a pain to clean. It is bigger than LBK and tougher to keep all that water in the sink.  Also when using sanitizer,  it is tough to keep on the lid and insert surfaces  - it runs right off. I don't feel just running the sanitizer over it a couple times is going to be effective.

Also more of a pain to tilt to get the last drop out.

So I don't use it much.

On the positive side, the handles make it nice to carry.

There may also be some difference in the way the fermentation goes based on having a tall vs a wide fermenter, but I am not clear on that.

I din't know there was a 2G?  But the instructions for the 3G clearly state it yields 2 gallons, which is kinda odd.  Why go bigger (as in to clean and handle) if for no larger yield?  Unless MRB is hinting that one may be able to brew a full 2.5 gallons with it anyway.

Personally, I like beers in the 6-8 abv the most, tho I have tasted good beers with lower and higher.  The wife esp likes the higher abv;s and wants me to try brewing an Imperial Stout (ugh).  I may try it, when I get more experience, but anything above 8 or 9 is pushing it for my taste buds.

Try the Winter Dark Ale Plus that I make - you might both like that. 

Winter Dark Ale HME +8oz Sparkling Amber DME, + 6-7 oz Trad Dark DME - or for Mr Beer ingredients add 1 pack smooth and 1 pack robust. It will be between 7-8%.
+1.5 -2 oz Lactose if you want it sweeter. I prefer it that way.

It is not Imperially bitter though (fortunately) although that can be fixed with more hops, although the Winter Dark claims 60 IBUs and you will taste it more without the lactose.

To taste more bitter also use the US-05  yeast, sweeter- use the Mr Beer yeast or US-04.

I do the same thing with the Porter HME - it is just less strong and less bitter.

That does sound good.  Perhaps I'll pickup a can of the WDA next time I order. 

Unfortunately, the nearest brew products store is >80 miles from our home so it's hard for me to just run down and pick up a few things (like the sparkling amber DME, etc) whenever I want them.  I kinda have to plan well ahead of time what I'm gonna brew and what adjuncts I need to pickup.  Right now, I have four more MRB mixes coming which will keep me pretty set for the rest of the Fall.  One is their St. Patrick's Stout.  Maybe I can figure out something interesting to do with that to please the wife's taste for higher abvs.

Hey, thanks Nick for all your information and advice.  It is really appreciated.

2 hours ago, Mic Todd said:

That does sound good.  Perhaps I'll pickup a can of the WDA next time I order. 

Unfortunately, the nearest brew products store is >80 miles from our home so it's hard for me to just run down and pick up a few things (like the sparkling amber DME, etc) whenever I want them.  I kinda have to plan well ahead of time what I'm gonna brew and what adjuncts I need to pickup.  Right now, I have four more MRB mixes coming which will keep me pretty set for the rest of the Fall.  One is their St. Patrick's Stout.  Maybe I can figure out something interesting to do with that to please the wife's taste for higher abvs.

Hey, thanks Nick for all your information and advice.  It is really appreciated.

Amazon Prime will save you some gas money:)

6 minutes ago, Shrike said:

Perhaps.  It is how I got my MRB kit in the first place, tho I am not a Prime member.  But I'd rather consult with an expert in a brewing shop than keep winging it - like I have been so far.  I was in the home-brewing section of a local (~ 54 miles away) hardware store last week and their brewing section, all 10 feet of it, already had enough adjuncts, yeasts, gear and crap to go with home brewing to confuse a novice like myself. Not much help from the store help on anything - they just stock what local home-brewers have asked them to stock.  I need to visit a real Home Brewing store where the owner in it brews his own beverages.  Once I know what I want, then I can order it on-line if I need to.  Or buy from the store itself

19 hours ago, Mic Todd said:

Perhaps.  It is how I got my MRB kit in the first place, tho I am not a Prime member.  But I'd rather consult with an expert in a brewing shop than keep winging it - like I have been so far.  I was in the home-brewing section of a local (~ 54 miles away) hardware store last week and their brewing section, all 10 feet of it, already had enough adjuncts, yeasts, gear and crap to go with home brewing to confuse a novice like myself. Not much help from the store help on anything - they just stock what local home-brewers have asked them to stock.  I need to visit a real Home Brewing store where the owner in it brews his own beverages.  Once I know what I want, then I can order it on-line if I need to.  Or buy from the store itself

call mr beer customer service. they have always been super helpful to me. even when i want to trick up one of their recipes, they are down for the conversation. i also really like visiting my local HBS.

1 hour ago, Jdub said:

call mr beer customer service. they have always been super helpful to me. even when i want to trick up one of their recipes, they are down for the conversation. i also really like visiting my local HBS.

I've been in touch with the MRB staff a lot since purchasing my kit - they might be getting a bit fatigued with all my questions.  Btw, they're great at answering questions and making suggestions.  Since we don't have a brewing store nearby I've come to rely on them and appreciate their expertise which they are always willing to share.