Mr.Beer Community
teamsiems

First Batch - Open Bottles Go Flat?

When I opened my first ever bottles of Mr Beer, they went flat in 5 minutes; nice head to start. I fermented the Oktoberfest Kit for 3 weeks, carbonated 0.5 L bottles with 1 carbo-drop per bottle for 2 weeks. Room temp was kept 69/70 degrees F the whole 5 weeks.

Is that normal? Can I keep the bubbles longer?

Thanks....

Spoiler

6 hours ago, teamsiems said:

When I opened my first ever bottles of Mr Beer, they went flat in 5 minutes; nice head to start. I fermented the Oktoberfest Kit for 3 weeks, carbonated 0.5 L bottles with 1 carbo-drop per bottle for 2 weeks. Room temp was kept 69/70 degrees F the whole 5 weeks.

Thanks....

Reveal hidden contents

Usually takes a minimum of 3 weeks to carbonate then put a few in the fridge for at least 3 days for the CO2 to liquify fully into the beer.  If you fermented at that room temp that could be a bit warm during krausen, and produce off flavors.

Because of the heavy yeast activity those first 5 days the wort will be warmer than ambient room temp. Be better to put your LBK in a cooler with a frozen pint of water and ferment close to 64-65. Those bottles can be swapped out every 12 hours and provide a nice fermentation.

To clarify, you want two different temp ranges. 

For fermenting, 65 is great.

For carbonating bottles, 70 or higher.  

And use the 3-4 rule. 3 weeks fermenting (wort temp 65), 4 weeks carbonating/conditioning at 70 or higher, than 3 days in the frig for what you're ready to drink.

By the way, the "nice head to start" has no correlation with how carbonated the beer is.  Most Mr. Beer batches have no head, yet are nicely carbed.  Pour down the side until half full, then pour right into the middle for the other half.  Don't pour the last 1/4 inch, full of trub, into your glass. Stop when the pouring liquid turns cloudy.

Thanks for the tips.

1) I only took out 3 bottles from the storage room to taste after 2 weeks - they went straight to the frig for 12 hours before pouring.

2) By nice head I mean I poured down the side of a frozen pilsner glass at a 45 degree angle and only lifted at the end - there was about 1/2 inch head and bubbles on the side. By flat I mean no bubbles on the side of the glass after I drank some of it (5 minutes). 

Don't get me wrong, I like the taste so far, but I was wondering if my home brewing can keep carbonation longer: did I really not give it enough time, did I run out of sugar using the carb-drops, did I ferment to hot or carbonate too hot?

Again, thanks for the temp & time tips. I'll try those on my next batch.

4 hours ago, teamsiems said:

Thanks for the tips.

1) I only took out 3 bottles from the storage room to taste after 2 weeks - they went straight to the frig for 12 hours before pouring.

2) By nice head I mean I poured down the side of a frozen pilsner glass at a 45 degree angle and only lifted at the end - there was about 1/2 inch head and bubbles on the side. By flat I mean no bubbles on the side of the glass after I drank some of it (5 minutes). 

Don't get me wrong, I like the taste so far, but I was wondering if my home brewing can keep carbonation longer: did I really not give it enough time, did I run out of sugar using the carb-drops, did I ferment to hot or carbonate too hot?

Again, thanks for the temp & time tips. I'll try those on my next batch.

12 hours in the fridge is not enough time for the CO2 to be put into suspension in the beer.  Refrigerate them for two days minimum, but three days is optimal.  

Your beers were most likely properly carbonated...but the majority of the carbonation was still in the neck space and went "PSSSSSH" and escaped once you uncapped them.

Reading around the net today,  I think I didn't cool the wort enough before pitching the yeast. i.e. I don't think I had enough yeast before fermenting or carbonating: beer tastes a little like green apples and goes flat quickly.

On 10/5/2018 at 9:31 PM, teamsiems said:

Thanks....

Reveal hidden contents

That's pretty much what I've found with my first batch too, also the Oktoberfest.  I attribute it (possibly) to either:  1) bottle conditioning at too cold a temperature (< 65 F) or 2) ignorance and/or pure inexperience on my behalf.  Probably both.

9 hours ago, teamsiems said:

Reading around the net today,  I think I didn't cool the wort enough before pitching the yeast. i.e. I don't think I had enough yeast before fermenting or carbonating: beer tastes a little like green apples and goes flat quickly.

Reading post on other forums doesn't usually help with brewing Mr. Beer.  Those forums are usually people who brew extract or all grain with boil times and hops added to the boil.  If you follow the instructions to the letter your pitching temperature was correct. 

Mr. Beer brewing is different and looked down upon (unfortunately) by most of the people on those forums.  Even though some of them probably got their start with a Mr. Beer kit.

The green apple taste is because your beer was likely fermented too warm rather than not enough yeast.  Your beer goes flat quickly because as @RickBeer said you need at least 2 days in the fridge for the beer to absorb the carbonation. 

Spend your time on this forum and leave the other forums until you are more experienced.  There are a lot of us that only occasionally still brew Mr. Beer kits and also a lot of us that still only brew Mr. Beer kits. In any case there is a lot of years experience here from people who respect the fact that you are brewing a Mr. Beer kit and won't give you grief about it.

6 hours ago, Mic Todd said:

That's pretty much what I've found with my first batch too, also the Oktoberfest.  I attribute it (possibly) to either:  1) bottle conditioning at too cold a temperature (< 65 F) or 2) ignorance and/or pure inexperience on my behalf.  Probably both.

It has seemed to me that it is not that the beer really goes flat, it is just that there is very little head retention so that even though you get some bubbles, you cannot see the result. This can be the result of soap or cleaning residues, so if you use any soap make sure LBK or bottles are well rinsed. Otherwise it maybe just not enough hops or dextrines in the wort.

Also you can increase the head retention by adding maltodextrin powder or using a partial mash of dextrin malt or Carapil, also flaked grains - barley or wheat or oats. And even more hopping. You can even add the powder (it is sterile) into the LBK after the wort.

This may help:

http://beersmith.com/blog/2008/06/25/enhancing-beer-head-retention-for-home-brewers/

The 3 days in the fridge also helps. If CO2 is not absorbed, you cannot get bubbles.

There are also other opinions on that too - in that a couple of days does make some improvement but it is limited, but you need to try it and see what works best for you.

https://homebrew.stackexchange.com/questions/15058/how-long-should-a-carbonated-bottle-be-refrigerated-prior-to-drinking

I am one of those that only brews Mr Beer (or similar HME based) kits.